PonyFans.comBoard IndexAround the HilltopFootballRecruitingBasketballOther Sports

Ford Stadium

This is the forum for talk about SMU Football

Moderators: PonyPride, SmooPower

Re: Ford Stadium

Postby PK » Thu Apr 26, 2001 12:04 pm

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR><font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Peruna1:
<B>I'm tired of disagreeing, I won't argue anymore. I'm glad you get to go see the Ponies play every time you go to Ford. But tell me this; how much fun is it counting the empty seats? Honestly, I take UT at Darrell Royal over SMU at Ford any day.</B></font><HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I was just stating my opinon (not trying to be argumentative) much as you were your's and that is what these sites are for. I'm curious though, as to how you came up with your handle ... sounds like it should be Bevo1 Image.

Of course I enjoy going to Ford to see the Ponies play. No, I don't like counting the empty seats. Is one of them your's?

I know that SMU has not had a really good team in many years, but it is my alma mater and I'm proud of it and I am going to support our teams as much as I can ... they are after all representing my alma mater and as long as they give 100%, I can live with the results. Do I want them to be better? Damn straight I do, but they aren't going to try if the alumns and STUDENTS don't support them. Hope you are at the games next fall yelling your head off along with me.

BTW Peruna1 is it possible that the student seating shown that are not "Season ticket" seats are set aside for the opposing team's students? If that is the case, section 32 IS PERFECT.

[This message has been edited by PK (edited 04-26-2001).]
SMU's first president, Robert S. Hyer, selected Harvard Crimson and Yale Blue as SMU's colors to symbolize SMU's high academic standards. We are one of the few Universities to have school colors with real meaning...and we just blow them off.
PK
PonyFans.com Super Legend

Postby ponystudent » Thu Apr 26, 2001 12:34 pm

I grew up a horn fan going to games sporadically until high school when my parents got season tickets. Then I went to just about every home game for three years. I saw Mack Brown come in and change the program and Royal Memorial stadium change to how it is now. I have toured the facilities, also.

I chose SMU for the school, not the athletics, but I support athletics. I go to all the football games and all of the basketball games with an occasional soccer match and tennis match. I am loyal to SMU, but I still support UT and make it to a game every now and then.

Now that my background info is out of the way, let me give my opinions on this. UT is far from being a top five national team. Brown has changed the program but he has one more hump to get over...winning the big time games. There is no way UT could hang with the Florida teams when it comes time for BCS.

UT's stadium is great. No it does not have the new, comfy, homey, intimate look that Ford does, but the additions they have made (suites, clubs, and upper deck) are very nice. What a lot of people who have not been to UT lately do not realize is that they redid the concourse area also. They added tons of that Texas Limestone and better lighting etc so it no longer looks like a dungeon, the concourse might actually be nicer looking than Ford. Ford does have newer signage, bathrooms, TVs' etc. The facilities at UT are the same as SMU's. I think they are matched equally. Theirs are a little bigger, and they should be. But what they have and what we don't is memorabilia and decorations.

When you walk through the halls of the facilities, pictures or greats, lists of professionals, and other cool stuff hangs on the walls. SMU's walls are bare. This really makes a huge difference. Also, in the locker room, over each locker, it lists the greats that have shared the number of the current players. It also has retired several lockers, like Campbell and Williams. They are glassed in and have their jerseys hanging. This is really cool.

As far as the student support goes, I think at the games, UT is not better than SMU.

As far as ticket prices go, if you want a great seat, you are spending thousands a year. The season ticket holding is based off a points system. You donate more money for a longer time, the more points. If you want a decent seats, you are still spending a lot of money. The person that said $60 gets you season tickets...maybe, but you are bleeding to death from the nose while you are burning up in the Eastside's sun. The prices of getting a good seat is the problem at that stadium, but that would be a nice problem to have at SMU, but I would not bet on it any time soon.

To sum things up, Ford and Memorial are equal facilities, just UT has decorated them 10 times better. Memorial is just a huge venue to hold the millions of alumni.

Those are my opinions.

------------------
Go Ponies!
Go Ponies!
ponystudent
Junior Varsity

Postby Charleston Pony » Fri Apr 27, 2001 8:31 am

Having attended the opener at Ford, all I can say is that it (Ford Stadium) is a near perfect fit for SMU and is something we've needed for a long, long time.

I lived in Durham, N.C. for four years and thoroughly enjoyed Duke football games in their 35,000 seat horseshoe stadium. I felt then that SMU needed a similar facility on campus. I'm thankful to those who had the vision and the resources to make it happen.

It may not be the biggest, it may not be the most scenic, we may not have the best crowds (atmosphere) and it may not have much history...but it's the best thing that's happened to SMU athletics in quite some time. I think that's all that needs to be said.
Charleston Pony

Postby ponystudent » Fri Apr 27, 2001 10:27 am

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR><font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Charleston Pony:
<B>Having attended the opener at Ford, all I can say is that it (Ford Stadium) is a near perfect fit for SMU and is something we've needed for a long, long time.

I lived in Durham, N.C. for four years and thoroughly enjoyed Duke football games in their 35,000 seat horseshoe stadium. I felt then that SMU needed a similar facility on campus. I'm thankful to those who had the vision and the resources to make it happen.

It may not be the biggest, it may not be the most scenic, we may not have the best crowds (atmosphere) and it may not have much history...but it's the best thing that's happened to SMU athletics in quite some time. I think that's all that needs to be said.</B></font><HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

agreed with no rebuttle.

------------------
Go Ponies!
Go Ponies!
ponystudent
Junior Varsity

Postby NavyCrimson » Fri Apr 27, 2001 11:19 am

go cp go!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
BRING BACK THE GLORY DAYS OF SMU FOOTBALL!!!

For some strange reason, one of the few universities that REFUSE to use their school colors: Harvard Crimson & Yale Blue.
NavyCrimson
PonyFans.com Legend

Location: Simi Valley-CA (Hm of the Ronald Reagan Presidential Library)

Postby PK » Fri Apr 27, 2001 11:43 am

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR><font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Navy&Crimson:
<B>go cp go!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!</B></font><HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

DITTO!!!
SMU's first president, Robert S. Hyer, selected Harvard Crimson and Yale Blue as SMU's colors to symbolize SMU's high academic standards. We are one of the few Universities to have school colors with real meaning...and we just blow them off.
PK

Postby Guest » Fri Apr 27, 2001 4:21 pm

Hey Peruna1, were glad for ya... now why dont you hop over to the UT board if thats what you are all about? You sound alot like a Horn troll that polluted the MM board for so long. Nobody here cares if UTs stadium holds 75,000 or 80,203, only you.

Postby SMUPonyFan » Sun Jun 17, 2001 7:47 pm

In a magazine called Athletic Business or something like that, they have nice architectural athletic buildings featured and Ford and the Lloyd Center were featured.

------------------
Go Red, Go Blue, Go Mustangs, S M U
Go Red, Go Blue, Go Mustangs, S M U
SMUPonyFan
Varsity

Previous

Return to Football