PonyFans.comBoard IndexAround the HilltopFootballRecruitingBasketballOther Sports

Georgia Tech to the Big 10

This is the forum for talk about SMU Football

Moderators: PonyPride, SmooPower

Re: Georgia Tech to the Big 10

Postby RGV Pony » Wed Nov 28, 2012 6:43 pm

Right. Leave football in wherever. Mwc, I don't care. Align ourselves w gtown nova seton hall st johns in hoops only.

Our own fault.
RGV Pony
PonyFans.com Super Legend

Postby SoCal_Pony » Wed Nov 28, 2012 8:04 pm

redpony wrote:
Hoop Fan wrote:this is armegeddon. there is no tomorrow. I hope Turner and Ford are on the phones with our checkbook open, including endowment funds if necessary. The thought that we need to win big for a few years to be attractive, forget it, there is no future opportunity once this all goes down. If Turner and Ford don't pull a rabbit out of the hat, i hope you enjoyed D-1 football, and the hopes of moving up to a better league someday, i hope you enjoyed it very much.

Careful there hoop fan- some rag sheets might consider you 'irrational'.

Hoop, I think you know I have been saying this all along. My version if that we survive for maybe 10 years ala Sean Penn in 'Dead Man Walking', then make a serious decision about FB.

I posted a couple of years ago that the loss in NPV to SMU would be $100M. Looking at it now, I was waaaaay understating it. Wouldn't surprise me now if schools left remaining received $50M+ per year. Just as important, all that free advertising. It will make a difference in enrollment and quality of students and therefore academics, there is no doubt in my mind, . Arkpony said something along the lines that he, his son, his grandkids would never consider attending SMU without a FB program. We might just find out if that is true.
SoCal_Pony

Postby Pony^ » Wed Nov 28, 2012 8:05 pm

EastStang wrote:Remember how VT got into the ACC to begin with. They did not have the votes until the Virginia legislature forced UVA to vote for VT. I suspect if either Virginia school attempts to leave the ACC, the Va. Legislature is going to grab the doodads of the one leaving and say, "not so fast". I have heard nothing from Gov. McDonnell on this one, yet. He controls the Board of Visitors for both schools and he can force them to do his will.

It's more accurate to say that Governor Mark Warner was behind Virginia Tech coming in to the ACC. Three votes were needed to block expansion; Duke and North Carolina were voting against any expansion. Warner ordered Virginia to vote against expansion becasuse the teams were initially Miami, Syracuse and Boston College. Warner then asked Casteen (UVa. President) to vote for expansion as long as Virginia Tech was included in the expansion. That was the deal that broke the deadlock on expansion. Warner felt that Virginia Tech would suffer having to play in a diminished Big East. I don't know if Governor McDonnell would get involved today, he seemed to stay out of the whole mess with President Sullivan this summer. Anyway, if both schools are content, I doubt he would care. I do not think the two schools are attached at the hip.
Last edited by Pony^ on Thu Nov 29, 2012 11:20 am, edited 1 time in total.
Pony^
All-American

Postby SoCal_Pony » Wed Nov 28, 2012 8:35 pm

Stallion wrote:Big 12's problem is the consensus that Clemson/Florida St. and UVa/ North Carolina will not jump until the BIG and SEC select first. Next week? Next Month? Next Year? But with less pawns left on the Table you can now more clearly see where it ends.

Assume Big12 is left with a choice between BYU and Miami as their final add. They want both and it is a difficult decision. Would they toss Iowa St aside and take both?

This isn't discussed much but could certain Big Boy schools in name only be cut loose?
SoCal_Pony

Postby zimo » Wed Nov 28, 2012 8:46 pm

SoCal_Pony wrote:
Stallion wrote:Big 12's problem is the consensus that Clemson/Florida St. and UVa/ North Carolina will not jump until the BIG and SEC select first. Next week? Next Month? Next Year? But with less pawns left on the Table you can now more clearly see where it ends.

Assume Big12 is left with a choice between BYU and Miami as their final add. They want both and it is a difficult decision. Would they toss Iowa St aside and take both?

This isn't discussed much but could certain Big Boy schools in name only be cut loose?

Where's the precedent for that? Temple got booted from the Big East, but they broke deals. I'd assume there are several clauses in the charter that allow the league to boot schools, but the weaker ones are well aware of the rules.
zimo
Junior Varsity

Postby SoCal_Pony » Wed Nov 28, 2012 8:52 pm

If it settles at 64, there are going to be many schools on the outside looking in with tons more to offer than say an Iowa St or Wash St

This is cut-throat business, as we all know, so why give these schools any consideration. Iowa State in particular.
SoCal_Pony

Postby East Coast Mustang » Wed Nov 28, 2012 9:02 pm

SoCal_Pony wrote:If it settles at 64, there are going to be many schools on the outside looking in with tons more to offer than say an Iowa St or Wash St

This is cut-throat business, as we all know, so why give these schools any consideration. Iowa State in particular.

Wash St is safe because politically UW will have to protect them. Iowa State is really charmed in this whole thing. They bring nothing to the table, but appear to be safe so long as the B12 stays intact.
2005 PonyFans.com Rookie of the Year Award Recipient
East Coast Mustang

Postby lwjr » Wed Nov 28, 2012 9:40 pm

I googled GT to the Big 10 and all I could find was two blogs, one from espn dated May 2012 and one from fromtherumbleseat.com dated March 2012 that talked about this rumor. Just saying
GO MUSTANGS!
lwjr

Postby East Coast Mustang » Wed Nov 28, 2012 9:48 pm

lwjr wrote:I googled GT to the Big 10 and all I could find was two blogs, one from espn dated May 2012 and one from fromtherumbleseat.com dated March 2012 that talked about this rumor. Just saying

UVa makes a lot more sense IMO. So do Duke & UNC. Isn't Harry the same guy who said SMU had "calls" with the Pac-12 a year or so ago?

Although GT to the B10 wouldn't surprise me, it seems there are more attractive options on the table
2005 PonyFans.com Rookie of the Year Award Recipient
East Coast Mustang

Postby SMU Spartan » Wed Nov 28, 2012 10:01 pm

Lol Larry was PISSED

Good win stangs.
SMU Spartan
Heisman

Postby GiddyUp » Wed Nov 28, 2012 10:33 pm

Round and round we go, where it stops nobody knows... :)

I am completely done with conference talk. So dumb..just gives me tired head.
GiddyUp

Postby BRStang » Wed Nov 28, 2012 10:36 pm

Tired head is better than no head I suppose
Geaux MUSTANGS! Geaux Tigers!
BRStang
Hall of Famer

Postby Pony^ » Wed Nov 28, 2012 10:45 pm

lwjr wrote:I googled GT to the Big 10 and all I could find was two blogs, one from espn dated May 2012 and one from fromtherumbleseat.com dated March 2012 that talked about this rumor. Just saying

There is this from the Atlanta paper's blog which acknowledges that there has been such a rumor:

3. Speaking on a teleconference with news media Wednesday to address Louisville’s addition to the ACC, commissioner John Swofford expressed confidence in member schools not jumping to other conferences based on conversations with ACC school presidents in the last 10 days. Asked about conversations with Tech president G.P. “Bud” Peterson, Swofford said that “the nature of our conversations has been emphatic in terms of their commitment to the ACC and Georgia Tech’s future.”

Tech has been rumored as a possible target for the Big Ten, which plucked ACC charter member Maryland last week.

http://blogs.ajc.com/georgia-tech-sports/2012/11/28/tech-notes-smith-finch-held-out-again/
Pony^
All-American

Postby SMUfrat » Wed Nov 28, 2012 11:07 pm

Pony^ wrote:

There is this from the Atlanta paper's blog which acknowledges that there has been such a rumor:

3. Speaking on a teleconference with news media Wednesday to address Louisville’s addition to the ACC, commissioner John Swofford expressed confidence in member schools not jumping to other conferences based on conversations with ACC school presidents in the last 10 days. Asked about conversations with Tech president G.P. “Bud” Peterson, Swofford said that “the nature of our conversations has been emphatic in terms of their commitment to the ACC and Georgia Tech’s future.”

Tech has been rumored as a possible target for the Big Ten, which plucked ACC charter member Maryland last week.

http://blogs.ajc.com/georgia-tech-sports/2012/11/28/tech-notes-smith-finch-held-out-again/

whoever it is... I hope the conferences go to 16. I am praying the PAC sees potential in SMU
SMUfrat
Junior Varsity

Postby Grant Carter » Wed Nov 28, 2012 11:44 pm

BRStang wrote:Tired head is better than no head I suppose

Well said
Grant Carter
Hall of Famer

PreviousNext

Return to Football