PonyFans.comBoard IndexAround the HilltopFootballRecruitingBasketballOther Sports

Georgia Tech to the Big 10

This is the forum for talk about SMU Football

Moderators: PonyPride, SmooPower

Re: Georgia Tech to the Big 10

Postby SMU2007 » Wed Nov 28, 2012 3:28 pm

Was it last year that people were saying that the Big 12 was dead? This ACC is dead talk seems premature...
SMU2007
PonyFans.com Super Legend

Postby East Coast Mustang » Wed Nov 28, 2012 3:29 pm

SMU2007 wrote:Was it last year that people were saying that the Big 12 was dead? This ACC is dead talk seems premature...

Agreed. Nothing is set in stone, and the only constant is change.
2005 PonyFans.com Rookie of the Year Award Recipient
East Coast Mustang

Postby EastStang » Wed Nov 28, 2012 3:30 pm

UVA President gave his unconditional support to stay in the ACC today. Guess they didn't get a dance invite.
UNC better keep that Ram away from Peruna
EastStang

Postby East Coast Mustang » Wed Nov 28, 2012 3:32 pm

EastStang wrote:UVA President gave his unconditional support to stay in the ACC today. Guess they didn't get a dance invite.

What's he supposed to say? "The ship is sinking, somebody throw us a lifevest?"
East Coast Mustang

Postby Dukie » Wed Nov 28, 2012 4:09 pm

I think we've all seen our share of "unconditional support" commitments to conferences. They're sort of like similar statements from ADs in support of coaches.

EastStang is right about the Virginia legislature; UVa fought hard to keep VPI out of the ACC, not to get them in.

One other rumor that's been around for a while is Duke and UNC to the SEC. UNC will throw over its "principles" a lot faster than UVa will. I need to look up the legislative leadership in Raleigh and see if NCSU has any folks around who could block that.
Dukie
Heisman

Postby redpony » Wed Nov 28, 2012 4:18 pm

latest NCSU rumor is that Sonny Dykes is going to be their new coach. Again, just a rumor.
redpony

Postby East Coast Mustang » Wed Nov 28, 2012 4:18 pm

Dukie wrote:I think we've all seen our share of "unconditional support" commitments to conferences. They're sort of like similar statements from ADs in support of coaches.

EastStang is right about the Virginia legislature; UVa fought hard to keep VPI out of the ACC, not to get them in.

One other rumor that's been around for a while is Duke and UNC to the SEC. UNC will throw over its "principles" a lot faster than UVa will. I need to look up the legislative leadership in Raleigh and see if NCSU has any folks around who could block that.

I doubt a big state university like NCSU would get left out in the cold like that
East Coast Mustang

Postby PonyGirl » Wed Nov 28, 2012 4:19 pm

ponyinNC wrote:Just get this crap over with already...if it is going to happen, rip it all off like a freaking band-aid.

This ^^^
PonyGirl
Varsity

Postby Stallion » Wed Nov 28, 2012 4:21 pm

Big 12's problem is the consensus that Clemson/Florida St. and UVa/ North Carolina will not jump until the BIG and SEC select first. Next week? Next Month? Next Year? But with less pawns left on the Table you can now more clearly see where it ends.
"With a quarter of a tank of gas, we can get everything we need right here in DFW." -SMU Head Coach Chad Morris

When momentum starts rolling downhill in recruiting-WATCH OUT.
Stallion

Postby 1983 Cotton Bowl » Wed Nov 28, 2012 4:57 pm

"EastStang is right about the Virginia legislature; UVa fought hard to keep VPI out of the ACC, not to get them in."

Dukie, you must have some strong tie to Virginia. My father-in-law attended Virginia Tech back in the late 1950s-early 1960's and he still always refers to it as VPI. I've never heard anyone else call it that.
1983 Cotton Bowl
Heisman

Postby Dukie » Wed Nov 28, 2012 5:08 pm

1983 Cotton Bowl wrote:"EastStang is right about the Virginia legislature; UVa fought hard to keep VPI out of the ACC, not to get them in."

Dukie, you must have some strong tie to Virginia. My father-in-law attended Virginia Tech back in the late 1950s-early 1960's and he still always refers to it as VPI. I've never heard anyone else call it that.

Some; lived in Williamsburg, Richmond and Arlington at various points and spent a lot of time in the Blue Ridge. It's just their name, and some folks around Virginia Tech insist on VPI or VPISU.
Dukie
Heisman

Postby LA_Mustang » Wed Nov 28, 2012 5:16 pm

This is absolutely insane. Traditionalist have to be going nuts right now. I certainly hope Turner and Hart are calling the PAC president every hour.
SMU-12 NCAA appearances, 1 Final Four
2014-15 & 2016-17 AAC Men's Basketball Champs

LA_Mustang

Postby PoconoPony » Wed Nov 28, 2012 5:28 pm

Only thing certain is that SMU gets left out because we failed to get positioned in time. Yes, the death penalty really was a death penalty.
PoconoPony
PonyFans.com Legend

Postby SMUfrat » Wed Nov 28, 2012 6:01 pm

PoconoPony wrote:Only thing certain is that SMU gets left out because we failed to get positioned in time. Yes, the death penalty really was a death penalty.

Nope. We are late to the game, but better late than never.
SMUfrat
Junior Varsity

Postby East Coast Mustang » Wed Nov 28, 2012 6:38 pm

PoconoPony wrote:Only thing certain is that SMU gets left out because we failed to get positioned in time. Yes, the death penalty really was a death penalty.

No, not really. TCU got their [deleted] together ten years ago. This will be a stain on RGT's legacy.
East Coast Mustang

PreviousNext

Return to Football