PonyFans.comBoard IndexAround the HilltopFootballRecruitingBasketballOther Sports

Georgia Tech to the Big 10

This is the forum for talk about SMU Football

Moderators: PonyPride, SmooPower

Re: Georgia Tech to the Big 10

Postby gostangs » Fri Nov 30, 2012 2:11 pm

Love how the UVA folks are screaming about a cut in federal resarch dollars, and then at the end you find out it is a whopping 8.8%. Big deal!! Is there any of us that couldnt cut 8.8% out of our personal budgets if you absolutley had to? This is what is wrong with our govt mentality. There is no cut too small to not get hysterical about.

ok - back to your regularly scheduled falling apart (previously BCS) conference.
gostangs
PonyFans.com Super Legend

Postby RGV Pony » Fri Nov 30, 2012 2:13 pm

And the converse of that is..the govt thinks hey, we will raise taxes x.x%..is there anyone that would really notice it or not be able to cut it out if they absolutely had to ?
RGV Pony

Postby Harry0569 » Fri Nov 30, 2012 2:21 pm

smu2004 wrote:Ga Tech is prob the fourth biggest team in ATL behind UGA, UF and Clemson...they are essentially what TCU is to Dallas. No one, and I mean no one, in Atlanta is going to give a damn about a Ga Tech v Northwestern football game. The move looks good on paper, but idiotic in reality.

Good for the Jackets, I guess.

No one really cares about the jackets at all in Atlanta. It's SEC country all the way.If they do in fact leave, it'll be sad to see them no longer play their natural rivals (Clemson, FSU, etc.) anymore.
"smupony94: Harry, you have been promoted to purveyor of official status capabilities."
Harry0569

Postby SMU_Alumni11 » Fri Nov 30, 2012 3:10 pm

RGV Pony wrote:And the converse of that is..the govt thinks hey, we will raise taxes x.x%..is there anyone that would really notice it or not be able to cut it out if they absolutely had to ?

It's easier and better to have people take less out of the pot then asking the few to put more in.
SMU_Alumni11
PonyFans.com Legend

Postby JasonB » Fri Nov 30, 2012 3:22 pm

GT moving to the Big 10 tells us exactly what the SMU/Houston situation is.

People don't care if you "carry atlanta". All they care about is being able to 1) sell their conference network in your market and 2) spanning timezones.

this isn't about recruiting, or competition or anything. This is about the big 10 saying "I realize GT doesn't carry atlanta. But IF GT can get good, then we can pressure atlanta cable companies to make the big 10 part of the basic sports package. And that means mega-money for us."

And that is why Houston and SMU are going to be in the ACC or the PAC if the implosion continues.
JasonB

Postby LHS81 » Fri Nov 30, 2012 4:02 pm

JasonB wrote:GT moving to the Big 10 tells us exactly what the SMU/Houston situation is.

People don't care if you "carry atlanta". All they care about is being able to 1) sell their conference network in your market and 2) spanning timezones.

this isn't about recruiting, or competition or anything. This is about the big 10 saying "I realize GT doesn't carry atlanta. But IF GT can get good, then we can pressure atlanta cable companies to make the big 10 part of the basic sports package. And that means mega-money for us."

And that is why Houston and SMU are going to be in the ACC or the PAC if the implosion continues.

I second that motion.
2015 INDIANAPOLIS OR BUST
LHS81
PonyFans.com Legend

Postby SMU2007 » Fri Nov 30, 2012 5:02 pm

gostangs wrote:Love how the UVA folks are screaming about a cut in federal resarch dollars, and then at the end you find out it is a whopping 8.8%. Big deal!! Is there any of us that couldnt cut 8.8% out of our personal budgets if you absolutley had to? This is what is wrong with our govt mentality. There is no cut too small to not get hysterical about.

ok - back to your regularly scheduled falling apart (previously BCS) conference.

how would you feel if your boss told you your salary was going down 8.8% next year?
SMU2007

Postby NavyCrimson » Fri Nov 30, 2012 5:29 pm

Jason - you're on to something. I agree.
BRING BACK THE GLORY DAYS OF SMU FOOTBALL!!!

For some strange reason, one of the few universities that REFUSE to use their school colors: Harvard Crimson & Yale Blue.
NavyCrimson
PonyFans.com Legend

Location: Simi Valley-CA (Hm of the Ronald Reagan Presidential Library)

Postby Comet » Fri Nov 30, 2012 5:40 pm

I'm hoping Jason's prediction is right
Comet
Hall of Famer

Postby NavyCrimson » Fri Nov 30, 2012 5:44 pm

I know there are a lot of ex-Californians & West Coasters living in the DFW area & they would definitely watch the PAC 12 network - or whatever it's called. Fleeing the taxes here. Makes sense.

For some strange reason, one of the few universities that REFUSE to use their school colors: Harvard Crimson & Yale Blue.
NavyCrimson
PonyFans.com Legend

Postby jkflamebo » Fri Nov 30, 2012 5:57 pm

As much as I'd like to see us to the PAC, it is a total farce. Give me a credible link and I might believe it. Otherwise our fan base is appearing very out of touch. We haven't done anything worthy since the 80s
jkflamebo
Hall of Famer

Postby OR-See-Nee » Fri Nov 30, 2012 6:05 pm

NavyCrimson wrote:I know there are a lot of ex-Californians & West Coasters living in the DFW area & they would definitely watch the PAC 12 network - or whatever it's called. Fleeing the taxes here. Makes sense.

Winner winner chicken dinner.

As much as I love SMU, it is irrelevant to PAC12 or ACC or B1G or any other conference expansion for traditional reasons (fan base, consistent winning, etc.).

What's important is that a lot of alumni from those conferences live in DFW and would like to watch their schools on television here, where the alumni live. SMU is a useful tool for that effort.

SMU is valuable (right now) because it provides an access point for those conferences to enter the DFW television market.

That's how SMU should be playing this in the negotiations. It's not about our billionaires on the board or JJ or LB or [insert reason here]. It's because we are the best school in Dallas, and having us on board opens up the ability of a conference to say to ESPN/NBC/CBS/Fox "lookie here, we have a big metropolitan area in our conference; give us lots of $$$."
/No Hate. Just Facts. Occasional sarcasm.
OR-See-Nee
Heisman

Postby NavyCrimson » Fri Nov 30, 2012 6:08 pm

Well, said.

NavyCrimson
PonyFans.com Legend

Postby Dutch » Fri Nov 30, 2012 7:53 pm

OR-See-Nee wrote:
NavyCrimson wrote:I know there are a lot of ex-Californians & West Coasters living in the DFW area & they would definitely watch the PAC 12 network - or whatever it's called. Fleeing the taxes here. Makes sense.

Winner winner chicken dinner.

As much as I love SMU, it is irrelevant to PAC12 or ACC or B1G or any other conference expansion for traditional reasons (fan base, consistent winning, etc.).

What's important is that a lot of alumni from those conferences live in DFW and would like to watch their schools on television here, where the alumni live. SMU is a useful tool for that effort.

SMU is valuable (right now) because it provides an access point for those conferences to enter the DFW television market.

That's how SMU should be playing this in the negotiations. It's not about our billionaires on the board or JJ or LB or [insert reason here]. It's because we are the best school in Dallas, and having us on board opens up the ability of a conference to say to ESPN/NBC/CBS/Fox "lookie here, we have a big metropolitan area in our conference; give us lots of $$$."

The thing you are forgetting is they don't need us to come to dfw for the reason you gave about alumni. B1G is already on my uverse. PAC can do the same.
Ok this is getting ridiculous...I agree with Dutch on THIS ONE POST by him totally
Dutch
PonyFans.com Legend

Postby ponyboy » Fri Nov 30, 2012 7:57 pm

jkflamebo wrote:As much as I'd like to see us to the PAC, it is a total farce. Give me a credible link and I might believe it. Otherwise our fan base is appearing very out of touch. We haven't done anything worthy since the 80s

How about this? ESPN has us in the PAC12 already:

http://espn.go.com/blog/pac12/tag/_/nam ... s/count/16
ponyboy

PreviousNext

Return to Football