PonyFans.comBoard IndexAround the HilltopFootballRecruitingBasketballOther Sports

Ladanianianina Tomilinson and the Draft

This is the forum for talk about SMU Football

Moderators: PonyPride, SmooPower

Ladanianianina Tomilinson and the Draft

Postby ponytalk » Mon Apr 23, 2001 4:43 pm

Will this guy last in the NFL. I was surprised he was picked this early. I think he can return punts and kicks, but I don't see him having success at RB in the NFL. See you in the XFL soon, LT.

What about Leonard Davis? An o lineman going #2? Wow, I have seen him play and he is huge and he is pretty good, but I did not relize he was that good.
ponytalk
Varsity

Re: Ladanianianina Tomilinson and the Draft

Postby Charleston Pony » Mon Apr 23, 2001 7:21 pm

While I don't think the guy will dominate, I see L.T. as the type of guy who will be a pretty solid NFL back. He's quick and he's durable. Flutie will help keep defenses loose so they can't really key on the running game. I think you will be surprised.

I'm also hoping we are going to see a big drop-off in TCU's running game this year without him. They have an OL to replace as well, so hopefully we can compete with them this year!
Charleston Pony
PonyFans.com Super Legend

Postby Big D » Mon Apr 23, 2001 9:22 pm

I for one, didn't respect LT all that much last year, until the Senior Bowl. We shut him down, along with that mighty O-line for one and a half quarters. Weariness took over, along with Printers opening up the offense, but we did something the best of the best couldn't do for 1 1/2 qtrs. Stop LT. I was Very impressed with his performance at the senior bowl. He ran all over the best in the country, behind a top line, which is what tchue had last year. I can't say how he'll do in the NFL, but I think he's going to surprise people, just like he did at the senior bowl.(I still hate tchue and their troll fans).
Big D
Scout Team

Postby Big D » Mon Apr 23, 2001 9:27 pm

Deuce McCallister(sp) was the name I was trying to think of. He was supposed to be THE MAN at the senior bowl. Every time they handed off to him all day, he would get stuffed, or get to the line of scrimmage, but LT would come in and break one for 10 to 20 yds., time after time. I guess I wish him luck, since he's not at tchue anymore.
Big D
Scout Team

Postby jettison » Tue Apr 24, 2001 11:13 am

I think LT has a very legitimate shot at being a solid NFL player. For one, the Chargers (or any NFL team) have slightly more explosive people playing other positions than the frogs did, so there won't be 7 guys keying on him every play. And two, people in places like So Cal and AZ don't take sports as seriously and keep a very detached, cynical distance from their devotions... I think this will give LT time to adjust, and he's much smarter and poised than somebody like Ryan Leaf.

And it's not uncommon for an OL to be drafted very high. Put it this way.. if colleges drafted high school players, who do you think SMU would pick right about now? As for the Cards selecting Leonard Davis, I think they had so many holes to fill they just took the biggest guy available in a vain attempt to fill as many as they could!

What I'm impressed with, however, in all that I despise admitting this, is that TCU had 6 in the first 4 rounds of the draft, second only to Florida State! How many of these guys were recruited to a 1-10 team by a much worse coach than Fran? I think it goes to show how success is not dependent on what is perceived as talented 18 year olds as much as how dedicated these kids are and how motivated the staff can keep them. What happened the past 3-4 years in Fort Worth should be taken as free education.
jettison
Junior Varsity

Postby SMUPonyFan » Tue Apr 24, 2001 12:36 pm

I was also impressed on TCU's draft performance, but did not want to comment. But since you brought it to the table, that is true success. They were recruited to a 1-10 football team and went on to be drafted.

------------------
Go Red, Go Blue, Go Mustangs, S M U
Go Red, Go Blue, Go Mustangs, S M U
SMUPonyFan
Varsity

Postby PonyFan » Tue Apr 24, 2001 1:38 pm

I agree that TCU had a nice day at the draft, but I don't buy into the Tomlinson hype. I look at LT and I see Charlie Garner - a back who shows flashes of real talent, but inconsistent enough to drive the coaches crazy. I also can't see him holding up under the beating of an NFL season. I see him as above-average, and nothing more.

Best TCU player to get picked? DT Shawn Worthen, Minnesota Vikings. Got picked late, but he'll be a steal.
"What kind of weirdo school are they running over there in Fort Worth?"
- Randy Galloway
ESPN Radio (103.3 FM)
PonyFan
Heisman

Return to Football