PonyFans.comBoard IndexAround the HilltopFootballRecruitingBasketballOther Sports

Jeff Woods on mm.com

This is the forum for talk about SMU Football

Moderators: PonyPride, SmooPower

Jeff Woods on mm.com

Postby ponytalk » Tue Apr 24, 2001 8:25 pm

Did anyone see that post. Hey Jeff, just take two more steps into the end zone and get us another safety like you did vs. Tulane.

I think he is spending too much time in the weight room. And I have talked to very few players that liked or respected Jost. Just because you did does not mean everyone should. And the strength coach SHOULD MOTIVATE. This is not the NFL, every successful NCAA S&C coach could motivate and stay on people's [deleted]. That is half of their job. Look at Mad Dog at UT, it works there.
ponytalk
Varsity

Re: Jeff Woods on mm.com

Postby Hanz and Franz » Wed Apr 25, 2001 12:19 am

The girly man says he wants to fight too. That is some class.

------------------
I am Hanz und I am Franz, und we are hea to pump...YOU UP
I am Hanz und I am Franz, und we are hea to pump...YOU UP
Hanz and Franz

Postby Guest » Wed Apr 25, 2001 1:49 pm

You want to know why some players did not like him, because he was the only one that wanted to make us work and get better. Any other coach would settle for the ever present b.s. that most of the players gave for not doing something. Too many egos on this team and believe me, I think they are getting worse. Jost did not take excuses, you did it his way or you got punished and all the babies at this school could not handle this. I missed a Friday morning workout during the Summer going into my Senior year so I could go party in New Orleans. Monday when I was back, myself and a couple of the other slackers(also meaning myself) were taken into his office and in strong terms told we did wrong. We did not leave the office feeling that we had unjustly been disciplined. It made sense, we let the team down and he was right. I've seen it time and again, he disciplines and the player takes offense to it. This happens whenever any coach actually tries to enforce the law of the program and that is why 6-5 will always be our best bragging point. Wow!!! Jost was not the best motivator in the world, I will admit that, however, I've seen a couple of good ones here and they always get out of the program because they realize the support is lacking and the dedication from players for the most part is non-existant. Coach Napert(forgive the spelling) for anybody who knows is all I need to say.

Postby weeblestang » Wed Apr 25, 2001 5:54 pm

I could not agree more with stanglover. Discipline is lacking in the workout ethic of SMU's athletes in the weight program. Massive weight gain is the result of this lack of discipline. During my career (if it was a career) I gained over 50 lbs. And whom do I have to thank for none of my clothes fitting...the SMU weight room. The weight program should have been there to stop the insanity. I feel this proves that the weight program needs to make some serious changes in its program retroactively. I think that a mandatory weight loss program should be put into effect for SMU's former big men (you too stanglover). This way some of the irreversible harm can be put to rest. With that said I now call on all of my heavyset brethren to put down those Twinkies and stop drinking that extra glass of half-and-half.
Who is comming with me?
weeblestang

Postby Guest » Thu Apr 26, 2001 12:52 pm

I wish someone would help me weeble. Its a shame that muscle that at one point is so good and makes you feel great turns into a jelloey mass of crap. Say hi to love for me.

Postby NavyCrimson » Sat Apr 28, 2001 3:12 pm

in your opinions stanglover & weeblestang, what needs to be done in the 'football' program to 'right' this ship - whether it be weight room, coaches or whatever)?

thanx in advance

------------------

[This message has been edited by Navy&Crimson (edited 04-28-2001).]
BRING BACK THE GLORY DAYS OF SMU FOOTBALL!!!

For some strange reason, one of the few universities that REFUSE to use their school colors: Harvard Crimson & Yale Blue.
NavyCrimson
PonyFans.com Legend

Location: Simi Valley-CA (Hm of the Ronald Reagan Presidential Library)

Postby Guest » Sun Apr 29, 2001 7:32 pm

Put quite simply, clean house starting from the top (AD)down to the little men. Then dedicate SMU to getting a good program and that means money. Get the big name coach!!!

Postby NavyCrimson » Tue May 01, 2001 1:24 pm

u may be right - many companies take this approach with positive results.

i know one thing for sure - something will happen in the next 2-3 yrs for sure - it has to!

------------------

For some strange reason, one of the few universities that REFUSE to use their school colors: Harvard Crimson & Yale Blue.
NavyCrimson
PonyFans.com Legend

Postby ponytalk » Tue May 01, 2001 2:02 pm

I don't see Copeland getting fired any time soon. I don't think he will leave either.

SMU is in such financial troubles, Turner will never fire Copeland, especially because we have been ranked well in the Sears Cup.
ponytalk
Varsity

Postby PK » Tue May 01, 2001 2:08 pm

Man I hope it's sooner than that N&C. We don't have the luxury of waiting that long. Next time there is a conference realignment, we need to be in a position to take advantage of it. Two to three years is too long!!! I don't know about the whole top to bottm idea, but we do need some really intense involvement of the whole University administration in a concentrated effort of getting our program in a postition of being a desireable school to add to a good conference when that possibility arises.
SMU's first president, Robert S. Hyer, selected Harvard Crimson and Yale Blue as SMU's colors to symbolize SMU's high academic standards. We are one of the few Universities to have school colors with real meaning...and we just blow them off.
PK
PonyFans.com Super Legend

Postby NavyCrimson » Tue May 01, 2001 3:13 pm

yeah - you're right about that - sad but true ...

it does need to be earlier so - i guess - if cavan can't do it this yr - he's gone for sure - that makes @ least one yr...dement definitely has a couple more (now that sasser is gone - i think a lot of people are going to see if there is a 'marked' improvement in 'morale' and 'wins' b/c, i guess, he was a 'distraction' even though he was good - it still is a 'team sport - not an individual one).....but for copeland, that's a hard one to figure ... he's done some good no doubt but he can't afford to make anymore bad choices in hiring coaches in the main revenue sports.......

granted - i don't know his style of management & how much of a leader he is (office problems, etc.) but that finally catches up with ya if it is a potential problem on the landscape....

these x-players definitely make you think about these things b/c they were there ....besides .... some of them are 'no dummies' in fact, many are quite smart & will be successful no matter where they go in life (God Bless Them - for sure)

good points, pk

------------------

NavyCrimson
PonyFans.com Legend

Postby Big Cat » Wed May 02, 2001 3:58 am

Hey Stanglover...Welcome to the club...although I don't plan on staying much longer....Remember what you said to me when I first arrived? Just don't drink beer.....

Ahh screw it...> BEER IS GOOD.
Big Cat
Scout Team

Postby Guest » Wed May 02, 2001 8:47 pm

Sears Cup??? That is really nothing to brag about when it was the peripheral programs such as swimming, track and field, golf, etc. that acheived the honors. It has nothing to do with having a good football team. How well SMUs other programs are doing seem to eclipse the failure of football. The success of football and basketball is what draws enthusiasm and most importantly revenue for the school. I am not saying that the other sports aren't important, but they too would greatly benefit from a successful football program.

Postby SMUPonyFan » Thu May 03, 2001 12:15 pm

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR><font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by stanglover:
<B>Put quite simply, clean house starting from the top (AD)down to the little men. Then dedicate SMU to getting a good program and that means money. Get the big name coach!!!</B></font><HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Well, this might be a good start... <A HREF="http://www.timesdispatch.com/sports/MGBK7PWT9MC.html" TARGET=_blank>http://www.timesdispatch.com/sports/MGBK7PWT9MC.html</A>
Go Red, Go Blue, Go Mustangs, S M U
SMUPonyFan
Varsity

Postby tex » Fri May 11, 2001 2:27 pm

Well, I read Jeff's post on mm and it is hard to dispute him. It would seem he is or was in a position to have first hand knowledge of the issue at hand. And a strenght coaches job is primarily to get his athletes stronger, faster, more powerful and yes bigger. And yes he also has to motivate his players too. However, the primary responsibility for motivating players lies on on the shoulders of the HEAD football coach. That is why he makes 400k!!!! A strength coach is lucky to make 60 or 70k. It seems like if people are going to put blame on the strength coaches for not motivating players, then they should make as much as Cavan. Just an opinion
tex
Recruit

Next

Return to Football