PonyFans.comBoard IndexAround the HilltopFootballRecruitingBasketballOther Sports

Cavan/staff and weight program

This is the forum for talk about SMU Football

Moderators: PonyPride, SmooPower

Cavan/staff and weight program

Postby BUS » Thu May 03, 2001 12:02 pm

You all know that I want SMU to be bigger and faster and WIN. I posted during recruiting that we needed BIG MEN and we signed a few good ones. Let us step back and look at the growth of some of our players for last year to now...

Player 2000 2001
A Adami 225 240
W. Birdwell 250 272
JD Blagg 265 281 dad says 10 bigger
L Croy 295 309
Patman plus 10
Pratt plus 10
K Aldridge 250 271+

We need to look ahead at some bigger horses playing in Ford this year and ready for the first quarter.

Go mustangs - Coaches program seems to be working!!!
Mustang Militia: Fight the good fight"
BUS
PonyFans.com Super Legend

Re: Cavan/staff and weight program

Postby Texastang » Thu May 03, 2001 3:05 pm

Bus,
I glad you pointed that out. I honestly had no idea that our defense had grown so much. Unfortunately, I didn't see any O-line guys listed. Do you know if any of those guys have gained weight?
Texastang
Scout Team

Postby BUS » Thu May 03, 2001 4:32 pm

Thornton Chandler has put on a good 20 but most are within 5 lb's of last year.
Some Red Shirt Freshmen
Luter at 339
Eric Neal at 279
Townsend Hsrgis at 254
are new to the mix.
BUS

Postby Texastang » Thu May 03, 2001 5:32 pm

Thanks Bus,
I think that if the coaches can get T.C. back on the field, he will make a good center, and that would really fill a big hole in our line. We have enough talent coming back between Slaten and McCarthy, that we could have a successful O-Line. T.C. would really compliment that left side. Nothing personal against the other centers who went through spring, but if you walk into Chapel Hill, or any where for that matter, under 270 pounds, you better tell you parents to stay at home for that game. Now all we need is for some of the younger guys to a develop a Division I-A attitude, and we won't be in that bad of shape.
Texastang
Scout Team

Postby tex » Thu May 10, 2001 4:06 pm

Go mustangs - Coaches program seems to be working!!![/B][/QUOTE]

True, some players did get bigger because Cavan's program was a body building program. The problem is this program breaks down the body and because of spring practice there is no time for an athlete to fully recover properly. This is why there were more football players hurt than playing. there were at least 15 hamstring injuries. This is why many colleges do not use this type of program. Also, the players got weeker and slower. This program is not designed for power and speed. But they did get bigger.
tex
Recruit

Postby BUS » Fri May 11, 2001 11:43 am

I do not know about the slower and weeker statement but I see this program as much needed. In two a days and during the season you change the strength program to conditioning and a lot of stretching. Those new bigger muscle will be taken care of - I hope.

With the size increase we have a chance to be competitive. I feel it tis the proper approach to building a team now.

The Liter comment, We need to find a way to use a man this big -I earlier suggested the D-Line. We will see.
BUS

Postby tex » Fri May 11, 2001 12:39 pm

well, yes and no. The players do need to get bigger, but even if they are bigger they are not going to be able to compete if they do not have the speed or the strenth. You can have a o-linemen who is 3bills, but if he is weak as sh@t then he will simply get pushed around like a rag doll. Something to think about. Cavan just does not recruite talented players, bottom line.
tex
Recruit

Return to Football