PonyFans.comBoard IndexAround the HilltopFootballRecruitingBasketballOther Sports

What ever happened to those...

This is the forum for talk about SMU Football

Moderators: PonyPride, SmooPower

What ever happened to those...

Postby ponytalk » Thu May 03, 2001 8:26 pm

Hey, BUS, I think it was you who said that Cavan was looking to bring in a JUCO or two to fill in the size gaps for the Oline. I cannot remember who said it, but I think it was BUS. This was before signing day, so everyone try to remember.

All I know is that we have no JUCO's signed for next year. Hitting the JUCO market for some oxen might be a smart move, especially now that we have broken the recruiting policy thing barrier.
ponytalk
Varsity

Re: What ever happened to those...

Postby smudad » Fri May 04, 2001 2:40 pm

I don't know the answer to your question specifically. However, this JUCO thing does seem to me to be the key to getting us back on a level playing field with our competition. I have a few observations along that line.
*While many of these institutions are no more than glorified daycare for overgrown men wanting to play sports, not all community colleges are inferior academically.
*And since the JUCO thing at SMU seems to hinge on academic control, SMU should make a major effort at identifying key community colleges or schools around the country from which it can draw more mature players who are more proven at the college level.
*Even the service academies practice this. Had a friend whose son attending a year of prep or community college, engineered by the academy, before being admitted to the AF Academy. Roger Staubach attended NMMI to correct some math deficiencies before being admitted to Anapolis. Seems he worked out OK.
*We currently have a FB player from a community college that fulfilled our academic requirements. And Josh Ihdi played basketball for us a couple of years ago after attending community college. They are out there and we have used them. More effort needs to be expended on identification - both in terms of schools and athletes.
*SMU may be as much a victim of lack of creativity as it is elitism.
Long live Thomas Sowell!
smudad
Varsity

Re: What ever happened to those...

Postby BUS » Fri May 04, 2001 4:20 pm

Yes I brought up the fact that there were some good players at JC. Only a few could be admitted to SMU and I mentioned them. One huge 340 x 6'7" o-line with a 3.7 in like Biology or something.

Just trying to turn all the rocks over.
Mustang Militia: Fight the good fight"
BUS
PonyFans.com Super Legend

Return to Football