PonyFans.comBoard IndexAround the HilltopFootballRecruitingBasketballOther Sports

Throwers

This is the forum for talk about SMU Football

Moderators: PonyPride, SmooPower

Throwers

Postby ponytalk » Fri May 04, 2001 3:56 pm

Has anyone seen the SMU throwers? These guys are ENORMOUS! They are not fat either. I am talking 280+ and all muscle and meat. They have tremendous footwork and strength.

What would it take to talk them into playing football. These guys could play any position on the d-line or o-line and start and be awesome. One or two would even have a shot at the NFL or get close too.

Cavan, get your but out to the Track and Field events and throw whatever you threw at H. Walker at these guys.
ponytalk
Varsity

Re: Throwers

Postby PonyPride » Fri May 04, 2001 5:57 pm

UTEP used to have a defensive tackle named Lief Larsen who was recruited as a thrower for the track team. The NFL draft combine measures strength by how many times a guy can bench press 225 pounds (really big guys like Willie Roaf can do 30 or maybe 35 reps). Larsen did 42 -- as a freshman. Did 51 his senior year, and got drafted by the Bills last year, despite having a very limited football background. We need that kind of strength.
PonyFans.com ... is really the premier place for Mustang talk on the Web.
New York Times

https://www.facebook.com/PonyFanscom/

twitter.com/PonyFans

https://www.instagram.com/ponyfans_staff/
PonyPride
PonyFans.com Super Legend

Postby Texastang » Fri May 04, 2001 7:18 pm

That's great strength, but if you want that kind of strength, your gonna have to pay for it, and it comes in a little glass bottle. I'm sure that little Lief drank all his milk and cleared his plate every night, but lets not fool ourselves. On a side note, he wasn't even that good.

[This message has been edited by Texastang (edited 05-04-2001).]

[This message has been edited by Texastang (edited 05-04-2001).]
Texastang
Scout Team

Postby RedRiverPony » Mon May 07, 2001 12:37 pm

He may not have been that good, but he did get drafted and he's still pulling an NFL paycheck (I think the Bills buried him on the practice squad or the injured reserve list). With that kind of strength, I would guess the coaches probably feel they can teach him to be a player.

And having seen the guy up close, I'm not sure I'd jump to the conclusions about the little glass bottle. It's certainly possible, of course. But the man looked like a freak of nature. I tend to think he was legit, strength-wise.
RedRiverPony
All-American

Postby Guest » Mon May 07, 2001 12:53 pm

I believe the little glass bottle theory has some merit behind it however I am not going to accuse everyone of them. Besides, if they did use something to help I say good job, at least their dedicated. I'm not preaching that the footballers should use it but what I am preaching is a different level of commitment from the throwers. I know all these guys and I promise they would not miss a workout or a meal if it meant their lives. They know how important these two factors are and when they are in the weightroom, stand back because they are on a mission and it is not to stand in front of the mirror doing curls thinking how buff they are getting. They are lifting so they can excel and I think their performance reflects that. I wish they all would come play on the team. I know they'll be out there to play and not look pretty for little soroity susie in the non-existant student section. This is my story and I'm sticking to it.

Return to Football