PonyFans.comBoard IndexAround the HilltopFootballRecruitingBasketballOther Sports

New Look

This is the forum for talk about SMU Football

Moderators: PonyPride, SmooPower

New Look

Postby HorsePower » Wed Jul 05, 2000 4:33 pm

Navy blue will look like a high school team. As long as they don't re-hash those crappy retro-Jets-wannabe uniforms they trotted out last year.
HorsePower
Heisman

Re: New Look

Postby jettison » Thu Jul 06, 2000 11:47 am

We would only look high school if we went with some metallic colored helmet like every suburban team in America.

Navy blue has done wonders to the Denver Broncos uniforms and other teams. And what about traditionally navy teams like Penn St, Arizona, Cal, ND, Auburn, etc? They don't look very high school to me.
jettison
Junior Varsity

Postby ALL4SMU » Thu Jul 06, 2000 12:30 pm

I could not agree with you more, Jettison! Navy Blue would look outstanding. In my opinion, Penn State has some of the best uniforms in the nation. Granted, I am all for simple uniforms, but I think everyone likes their uniforms!

------------------
"Show me a happy and gracious loser, and I'll show you a failure."- Knute Rockne
\"Show me a happy and gracious loser, and I'll show you a failure.\"- Knute Rockne
ALL4SMU
Varsity

Postby SMUPonyFan » Sun Jul 09, 2000 10:21 pm

I don't know what you mean by "high school?" I loved the blue we had these past years, but I think Navy will be fine. As long as it is something new, we will all get used to it!

PS: Jettison, Its True about Penn St. Awesome looking uni's.

------------------
Go Red, Go Blue, Go Mustangs, S M U
SMUPonyFan
Varsity

Postby ChrisFowler » Mon Jul 10, 2000 12:26 am

I don't think Cal, Arizona or Auburn are the football examples - read no national championships - you want to follow. How about Navy? The Midshipmen wear navy blue, and they used to be good. Sure, they haven't been good since Staubach scrambled away to the Cowboys. But they do wear navy blue. Better yet, why not change SMU's school colors to maize and blue, like Michigan, or orange and blue, like Florida?

I think the point is, more than particular colors, you need players. Notre Dame wears blue (Domers will tell you, though, that it's all in their gold helmets), but the Irish are still a bunch of geographically challenged recruits with an offensively challenged head coach. Neither blue nor gold nor the drunk grad student who dresses up as their leprachaun nor the priests who clap between drinks in the pressbox of their recently expanded stadium has helped the Irish any the past three years.

By the way, why do we keep quoting Knute Rockne here? Besides making up that quote by the Gipper (who was a compulsive gambler and played for Notre Dame only after trying to find another college that would pay him more money), Rockne was hardly the authority on winning. Howard Jones, Bear Bryant, Barry Switzer and Woody Hayes all won more national titles than Knute did. And those coaches, as well as several others, all recorded more undefeated seasons than Knute did.

Thank you.
ChrisFowler
Recruit

Postby SMUPonyFan » Mon Jul 10, 2000 1:19 am

Chris Fowler,
You have a way with words...
Thank you.

------------------
SMUPonyFan
Varsity

Postby ClassOf81 » Mon Jul 10, 2000 1:23 pm

Penn State has the most generic uniforms in the history of sports. There was a time they were thought to be "classic, old-school" duds until Paterno & Co., sold out and slapped a Nike logo on the jerseys. Now they're boring, ugly AND corporate sell-outs, and we need not follow their examples. And when the rest of the country watches them slide after Brandon Short, LaVar Arrington and Courtney Brown bolted for the NFL, they won't be a team many folks copy, anyway.

Navy hasn't won in years. We can't copy them.

I don't want anything that is copied from Neuter Dame. They can burn South Bend to the ground, for all I care.

Auburn? Arizona? See ChrisFowler's post on those wanna-be national powers.

Cal? Come on. Have they ever won anything?

Stick with Royal Blue!
ClassOf81
Heisman

Return to Football