PonyFans.comBoard IndexAround the HilltopFootballRecruitingBasketballOther Sports

Greatest AD in SMU History

This is the forum for talk about SMU Football

Moderators: PonyPride, SmooPower

Greatest AD in SMU History

Postby smu'06 » Tue May 08, 2001 9:36 pm

Who do you feel is the greatest AD in SMU history?
University of South Carolina Student and Fan
SMU Fan and possible Law Student
smu'06
Junior Varsity

Re: Greatest AD in SMU History

Postby NavyCrimson » Wed May 09, 2001 2:18 am

from the 60's to the present - no doubt it was russ potts....

previously, good question...probably ray morrison if in fact he was.
BRING BACK THE GLORY DAYS OF SMU FOOTBALL!!!

For some strange reason, one of the few universities that REFUSE to use their school colors: Harvard Crimson & Yale Blue.
NavyCrimson
PonyFans.com Legend

Location: Simi Valley-CA (Hm of the Ronald Reagan Presidential Library)

Postby DallasDiehard » Wed May 09, 2001 11:11 am

For all the problems the football team has had in recent years, my vote goes for Jim Copeland. Sure, he can be called out for not getting a new football coach, but under his regime, we are top 10 in men's soccer, women's swimming, men's and women's track, men's tennis. He hired Mike Dement who has made the men's basketball team better than it's been in years, and has recruited local talent. He oversaw and completed the entire project of raising funds and then constructing the nicest football stadium in the state of Texas, a facility that I (perhaps blindly) believe one day will help land the type of recruit who can push SMU to the next level. And in talking to several members of the media, I am under the impression that Copeland is as straightforward and direct and accurate in his predictions/expectations as anyone around. One writer who has covered the Ponies for years told me that everything Copeland has predicted, either on or off the record, has come true. (Example: the reporter said he laughed when Copeland first told him there would be a new football stadium at SMU. I'd say he got that one right.)
Rise up, Mustang Nation!
Go SMU!
DallasDiehard
Heisman

Postby Dirty Bird » Wed May 09, 2001 1:46 pm

Whoever ran the show from 1978-1984.
Dirty Bird
Junior Varsity

Postby smu'06 » Wed May 09, 2001 2:21 pm

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR><font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Dirty Bird:
<B>Whoever ran the show from 1978-1984.</B></font><HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

That would be a gentleman by the name of Russ Potts, who is currently a state senator in Virginia as well as President of his own Sports Productions company, Russ Potts Productions.
smu'06
Junior Varsity

Postby ponystudent » Wed May 09, 2001 3:03 pm

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR><font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by smu'06:
<B> That would be a gentleman by the name of Russ Potts, who is currently a state senator in Virginia as well as President of his own Sports Productions company, Russ Potts Productions.</B></font><HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

He sure did know how to run a business and it looks like he is still successful. I read that SMU was 51-5-1 from 1981-1984.

------------------
Go Ponies!
Go Ponies!
ponystudent
Junior Varsity

Postby smu'06 » Wed May 09, 2001 3:12 pm

I work for him during the summer, and he is one hell of a guy to work for. He is persistent enough that there is no task too big.
smu'06
Junior Varsity

Postby ponystudent » Wed May 09, 2001 5:56 pm

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR><font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by smu'06:
<B>I work for him during the summer, and he is one hell of a guy to work for. He is persistent enough that there is no task too big.</B></font><HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Tell him about this website, unless maybe he told you about it. Ask him some questions also, he was at SMU during one of the hay days of SMU football. Shoot, he ran it then. I am sure he has got some great stories.
Go Ponies!
ponystudent
Junior Varsity

Postby smu'06 » Wed May 09, 2001 6:11 pm

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR><font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by ponystudent:
<B> Tell him about this website, Ask him some questions also, he was at SMU during one of the hay days of SMU football. Shoot, he ran it then. I am sure he has got some great stories.</B></font><HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I stumbled across this site myself, but Russ was the one who sparked my interest in SMU. I will be applying in the fall, and hopefully will enter the Hilltop in '02. I will ask him if he has any great SMU Stories, he's told me a few, but not much.
smu'06
Junior Varsity

Postby NavyCrimson » Wed May 09, 2001 6:18 pm

WELL - WHAT ARE THEY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
BRING BACK THE GLORY DAYS OF SMU FOOTBALL!!!

For some strange reason, one of the few universities that REFUSE to use their school colors: Harvard Crimson & Yale Blue.
NavyCrimson
PonyFans.com Legend

Location: Simi Valley-CA (Hm of the Ronald Reagan Presidential Library)

Postby PK » Wed May 09, 2001 6:35 pm

Hey smu'06, if you haven't already stumbled across smumustangs.com, you ought to go there also...it is the official site for SMU athletics. Look under "football" for some SMU history by decades. It will give you a better understanding of our football heritage. Glad you're going to be a Mustang. Bring some friends with you!!!
SMU's first president, Robert S. Hyer, selected Harvard Crimson and Yale Blue as SMU's colors to symbolize SMU's high academic standards. We are one of the few Universities to have school colors with real meaning...and we just blow them off.
PK
PonyFans.com Super Legend

Postby smu'06 » Wed May 09, 2001 6:51 pm

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR><font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Navy&Crimson:
<B>WELL - WHAT ARE THEY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!</B></font><HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

About the hey day of Mustang Mania. Never much detail, but I'm sure I'll get some great stories this summer.
smu'06
Junior Varsity

Postby GrapevineMustang » Thu May 10, 2001 6:33 pm

Great - fill us in with your stories as you get them!
GrapevineMustang
All-American

Return to Football