PonyFans.comBoard IndexAround the HilltopFootballRecruitingBasketballOther Sports

Eric Dickerson

This is the forum for talk about SMU Football

Moderators: PonyPride, SmooPower

Eric Dickerson

Postby smu'06 » Sat May 12, 2001 6:52 pm

Ohio State did something brilliant, and that is put their living legend, Archie Griffin, in the Athletic Department as an assoc. AD.

It may make sense, from a publicity/marketing/recruiting standpoint to do a similar thing with Eric Dickerson, if we would come if called.
University of South Carolina Student and Fan
SMU Fan and possible Law Student
smu'06
Junior Varsity

Re: Eric Dickerson

Postby Grider » Mon May 14, 2001 10:55 am

I don't think the university would touch that one with a ten foot pole.

I personally would love to see that, but I can tell you, SMU wants to stay as far away from the pre DP days as possible.

Plus, I don't know if he would come if he were called.
... _ _ .._
Grider
All-American

Postby SMUPonyFan » Mon May 14, 2001 1:02 pm

Agreed with Grider. Especially not as long as Copeland is here.

------------------
Go Red, Go Blue, Go Mustangs, S M U
Go Red, Go Blue, Go Mustangs, S M U
SMUPonyFan
Varsity

Postby MustangFan » Mon May 14, 2001 1:10 pm

Remember, when Dickerson was in town to get his number retired durign the TCU game, he played the good alum, talking with players before the game and on the sideline while the game was going on. Then, once he had his number retired, he split shortly after halftime. Plus, he runs a fairly successful advertising firm in Los Angeles. Not sure he's ready to give up the glitz of L.A. to move back to University Park. He should, of course, but I'm not sure he will.
MustangFan
All-American

Postby Grider » Mon May 14, 2001 1:48 pm

He was on the sidelines for the UCLA game in 1995(I think that's the right year)when we were a few yards away from upseting the Bruins. That was an awesome game, UCLA was ranked pretty high that year, and we almost came away with the W. I think Eric gave a pre-game speech for that game as well.
... _ _ .._
Grider
All-American

Postby D » Mon May 14, 2001 3:06 pm

It was actually in '94 Grider. He gave a good pregame speech, but the only part I remember was when he told us he had to take a pay cut when he went into the league. Guess the talk worked because we had first and goal on the 2 with a minute left. We had already picked out the 2 point play to win the game. Problem was, we couldn't get it into the end zone. If only we had been a little quicker on the shovel pass and gotten into the end zone.
By the way, good question about whether we would be any different had we pulled off some of those upsets. I think we would. The problem with a team that is 1-10 and 1-9-1 is that they don't know how to win. I was talking with a guy who created a list of all of our near misses since the death penalty. It included basketball and it was astonishing how many times we have been close but had a bad call, missed field goal or couldn't get it in the zone. Additional football games that we couldn't pull off - although not against ranked opponents - include BYU (OT in 97), New Mexico (97), Navy, Rice (96). Basketball games that come to mind are Utah (96) and SWC first round when Rich had 40+. Had we won a few more games in 97 and gotten the bowl berth, it may have provided us some more confidence and enabled us to get over the hump for wins and recruiting.
D
Varsity

Postby Grider » Mon May 14, 2001 3:55 pm

I agree D. 1997 could have been huge for the ponies. I know the TCU game was a enormous let down for all of the players and fans. Since that game it seems like our football program has been lacking in confidence. We've had some shimmering moments, but for the most part I think that game has a lot to do with the disappointing seasons we've had since then. SMU football could have turned the corner in 1997, instead we handed the ball to TCU. I don't think I realized that until just now.
Oh well, go ponies in '01!!!
... _ _ .._
Grider
All-American

Return to Football