PonyFans.comBoard IndexAround the HilltopFootballRecruitingBasketballOther Sports

2001 Ponies

This is the forum for talk about SMU Football

Moderators: PonyPride, SmooPower

2001 Ponies

Postby smu'06 » Thu May 17, 2001 7:24 pm

Since it is only a matter of 4 months until the season is underway, shouldn't we start discussing the strengths and weaknesses as well as the keys to victory?
University of South Carolina Student and Fan
SMU Fan and possible Law Student
smu'06
Junior Varsity

Re: 2001 Ponies

Postby Texastang » Fri May 18, 2001 12:15 pm

Keys to Victory:
1. Attitude- (offensive line) Last season I saw our lineman walk off the field time and time again with this look like they were scared the whole time. I honestly belive in my heart that you could slap some of these guy's mothers in the face and they wouldn't do a thing. It's one thing to act tough in practice against redshrits, but on Saturdays, that controlled aggression that we need disappears, with the exception of McCarthy.
I shouldn't just single out the offensive line. All I hear is that we have players in the weight room flexing their abs and biceps in the damn mirrors. That makes me sick. These guys for some reason thing that they are hot stuff. Last I checked they haven't proved a damn thing. I know I'm getting off on a tangent, but a huge difference between the team now and the team a few years ago is that a few years ago the team may have lost, but they didn't lose physically. That is how they were able to almost beat or go into overtime games with teams like BYU and A&M.
Sorry I got on my soap box, but I think that all the size and strength doesn't make a difference if you don't have a bunch of guys who will fight with everything they got.

[This message has been edited by Texastang (edited 05-18-2001).]

Texastang
Scout Team

Postby tex » Fri May 18, 2001 2:43 pm

. It's one thing to act tough in practice against redshrits, but on Saturdays, that controlled aggression that we need disappears, with the exception of McCarthy.

Well, I dont want to hurt anyones feelings, but McCarthy was not an exception! He was one of the guys who always tried to get on peoples asses when game time rolled around but in the off season bitched more then anyone about having to workout and run. And he was definalty on of the guys who would go get wasted on a weekday. lack of true dedication, he just wanted everyone to think he was dedicated...just a fact.
tex
Recruit

Postby Texastang » Fri May 18, 2001 3:02 pm

I wasn't talking about week day habits or griping about running. That has nothing to do with the point that I was making. What I was talking about is that he is the only one who I trust will not give up and lay down between the white lines. I know because I've seen it. He may get beat, but rest assure he's going to get pissed off and try and kick the crap out of the other guy. To many of the other guys won't fight back. So believe me, he is the exception on the O-Line. And I'm not kissing his butt, it just that he does what other successful linemen do. It nothing really exceptional, its just the normal behavior of a collage offensive lineman.
Texastang
Scout Team

Postby tex » Fri May 18, 2001 3:09 pm

Texastang, I wasnt attacking you I was just making a comment from personal experience. True, he wont lay down and quit like the rest of them Ill give you that. But attitude and a winning attitude starts in the off season when there are no fans or spotlight. That is the time when a winning attitude is created in a program not during two-a-days, by then it is to late. But your right...he wont quit, he is not a good line men but he wont quit. But he is the best one smu has.
tex
Recruit

Postby Texastang » Fri May 18, 2001 3:17 pm

Tex,
Couldn't agree with you more. I think that we were just making two different points, and both of them were correct. I like your thinking, it sounds like you know what you are talking about.
Texastang
Scout Team

Postby tex » Fri May 18, 2001 3:19 pm

Well, thanks texastang, and I think I know who you are, so your comments hold a high credability with me...Tell bandy ole tex says hi.
tex
Recruit

Postby Texastang » Fri May 18, 2001 3:38 pm

I will, but will Mr. Bandy know who ole Tex is, because I sure as hell don't know. Gimmie a Hint.

Texastang
Scout Team

Postby tex » Fri May 18, 2001 3:43 pm

Well, Tell Bandy ill see him in july when I make a stop over in phoenix, AZ on my way to see jodi in LA. He will know. Later, texastang...tell me what you think of the coaching situation.
tex
Recruit

Postby Guest » Fri May 18, 2001 3:56 pm

What does going out on the weekend after a game and getting drunk have to do with football and dedication. Hey Tex, I have known some hellified dedicated players in this program and others and going out and blowing off some steam on the weekend by drinking did not hurt a bit. I guarantee you, it is nothing unlike any other program except others have more of this type, plain and simple. Oh ya, congratulations this weekend.

Postby tex » Fri May 18, 2001 4:04 pm

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR><font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by stanglover:
<B>What does going out on the weekend after a game and getting drunk have to do with football and dedication. Hey Tex, I have known some hellified dedicated players in this program and others and going out and blowing off some steam on the weekend by drinking did not hurt a bit. I guarantee you, it is nothing unlike any other program except others have more of this type, plain and simple. Oh ya, congratulations this weekend.</B></font><HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Stanglover, there is nothing wrong with going out on the weekend, its the WEEKDAY. If you go out on the weekday then everything you did that day during training is waisted. And other schools have the real athletes and can get drunk everyday and still be all Americans. We don't recruited talented athletes that can do this. (I was exaggerating a bite) And thanks...now all I need to do is get a job. Also, the o-line at smu now, are no where near as talented as when Morgan, Bandy, Erx, Chevo, and B-ho played. Now those guys could drink and play!!!!!
tex
Recruit

Postby Texastang » Fri May 18, 2001 4:30 pm

Thanks a lot Tex, see if I ever agree with you again. Check your roster buddy.

Texastang
Scout Team

Postby tex » Fri May 18, 2001 4:39 pm

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR><font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Texastang:
<B>Thanks a lot Tex, see if I ever agree with you again. Check your roster buddy.

[This message has been edited by Texastang (edited 05-18-2001).]</B></font><HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Sorry bud, I was just responding to stanglover, I was kinda in a hurry. Morgan, Austin, were bad [deleted] playa's to.
tex
Recruit

Return to Football