PonyFans.comBoard IndexAround the HilltopFootballRecruitingBasketballOther Sports

O-Line strength

This is the forum for talk about SMU Football

Moderators: PonyPride, SmooPower

O-Line strength

Postby ClassOf81 » Wed Jul 05, 2000 4:54 pm

In the past, there's always been an offensive lineman or two we could run behind and almost be assured of a first down, touchdown, etc. Players like (at least in recent years) Keith Chiles, Brannon Kidd, Austin Adami and Jerry Chavira. Where is the strength of this line, the power?

I think McCarthy and Gober are the strongest linemen. True?
ClassOf81
Heisman

Re: O-Line strength

Postby SMUPonyFan » Wed Jul 05, 2000 7:18 pm

McCarthy will probably be that guy, Gober possibly. Slaten is by far the strongest. He showed is capacity to dominate the line during Spring, but he is very inconsistent. If he were to play 100%, 100% of the time, he would be an unstoppable Tackle!

------------------
Go Red, Go Blue, Go Mustangs, S M U
SMUPonyFan
Varsity

Postby SMU00 » Mon Jul 10, 2000 2:16 pm

What about Sterling Harris? I saw a quote from Coach Cavan in one of the preseason mags that are arriving that said he (Cavan) expects Harris to take over one of the starting spots sometime this season, and called him a great prospect. Might live up to all his billing as a HS recruit.
SMU00
Junior Varsity

Postby SMUPonyFan » Mon Jul 10, 2000 3:07 pm

Let's hope that is true, from what everyone saw in Spring, Harris still has a lot of learning to do. His run-blocking is good, just pass-blocking sucks.

I think Slaten COULD be AWESOME. NFL Prospect. He is huge, strong, and at times, has the mentality.

------------------
SMUPonyFan
Varsity

Return to Football