PonyFans.comBoard IndexAround the HilltopFootballRecruitingBasketballOther Sports

Mark Hudspeth

This is the forum for talk about SMU Football

Moderators: PonyPride, SmooPower

Re: Mark Hudspeth

Postby smumustang1980 » Mon Oct 20, 2014 8:09 am

Stallion wrote:
BenW wrote:Hudspeth loads up with Miss JCs and players who aren't qualified on signing date. He's taking advantage of the SEC rule about no-oversigning. Last year he got burned some, as probably 2/3 of the top of his class didn't qualify; but the prior year it worked (and it still worked some last year).

something to think about and probably very true. SMU can get just about every full qualifier in-heck we've gotten about 3 non-qualifiers in the last 2 years in Basketball, but there is an advantage that state schools have that SMU can't do-NOT because Turner hates athletics-but because of NCAA rules. A non-qualifier that is admitted to a state school can walk on by paying in-state tuition and if he performs satisfactorily in first year can join the team after sitting out first year. This is a big advantage for state schools in Louisiana, Mississippi with high concentration of poor academically performing students. Not Turners fault because tuition is $57,000

All SMU needs to solve this problem is a little creativity. Set up a separate college within the University especially for athletes and charge a nominal tuition.
About 25 feet from the Hillcrest track... With the boots so tall and the writing on the wall...
smumustang1980
All-American

Postby Stallion » Mon Oct 20, 2014 10:16 am

violates NCAA rules-can't have special rules for admissions for athletes v other students. You can set up a separate College- which we have-it is known as the College of Education-but rules of admission are the same for everybody
"With a quarter of a tank of gas, we can get everything we need right here in DFW." -SMU Head Coach Chad Morris

When momentum starts rolling downhill in recruiting-WATCH OUT.
Stallion
PonyFans.com Super Legend

Postby Insane_Pony_Posse » Mon Oct 20, 2014 10:41 am

C-ya @ Milos!
Insane_Pony_Posse
PonyFans.com Legend

Postby Stallion » Mon Oct 20, 2014 10:52 am

both he and his wife are supposedly fitness buffs-I saw something about his wife winning body building competitions so she could probably kick the [deleted] of fans in the stands that boo her husband

http://www.myneworleans.com/Profile_Hudspeth.gif
"With a quarter of a tank of gas, we can get everything we need right here in DFW." -SMU Head Coach Chad Morris

Stallion

Postby mrydel » Mon Oct 20, 2014 10:55 am

All 12 of them?
All those who believe in psycho kinesis, raise my hand
mrydel

Postby Stallion » Mon Oct 20, 2014 10:57 am

She'll instill Fan Discipline by pointing her finger. "You better be in your seat for the Memphis game or I'll hunt you down!!!"

Stallion

Postby Insane_Pony_Posse » Mon Oct 20, 2014 11:02 am

I know very little about him, but he seems to bring a certain intense "Alpha Personality" that I think we need with players and dealing with Turner. Looks like he makes around a million a year. I guess he should be on the list.

"Buyout terms of the contract were extensively renegotiated as well, making it easier for the Ragin' Cajuns to keep their coach — but also leaving the door open for him to exit should a major program willing to pay really big bucks comes calling"

http://www.theadvertiser.com/story/spor ... /10410019/
C-ya @ Milos!
Insane_Pony_Posse
PonyFans.com Legend

Postby Big12Mustang » Mon Oct 20, 2014 11:09 am

I think this guy could be our coach and stay longer than 6 years. He could be our Gary Patterson/Art Briles
Big12Mustang
Hall of Famer

Postby redpony » Mon Oct 20, 2014 1:39 pm

After watching his you tube video I also searched for Tom Herman, Chad Morris and Mack Brown. You all might want to do the same. After watching the videos I would rank 1)Chad Morris, 2) Tom Herman, 3) Mark Hudspeth and 4) Mack Brown.

IMO the first three were all high energy, creative people who would do well here. MB was a lot more political and laid back. I think CM would jump at the chance to come here and build this team. Tom Herman has built a good O at Ohio St.. If you like hard-nose fball you would probably love his teams.
Mark Hudspeth seemed to be a little more high energy than the others but I just preferred Morris and Herman more. As much as Mack Brown would bring to this program I have to wonder if he still has the drive and energy to do the type of rebuilding we will require. JMHO.
redpony

Postby birddogger » Tue Oct 21, 2014 2:35 pm

From a Louisianan's perspective, I do not think that Hudspeth would be a good fit at SMU. His recruiting targets won't stick on the Hilltop academically. And he hasn't exactly dominated, although I could damn him with faint praise by admitting that his record has been better than that of our recent coaching staffs'.

I'm for hiring an enthusiastic Texan that wants to be in DFW and recruit locally.
birddogger
All-American

Postby gostangs » Tue Oct 21, 2014 4:28 pm

If we keep them in the education and leadership departments we will be fine with keeping them long enough. Get the right ones and you only need three years.
gostangs

Previous

Return to Football