PonyFans.comBoard IndexAround the HilltopFootballRecruitingBasketballOther Sports

Trey Griffin

This is the forum for talk about SMU Football

Moderators: PonyPride, SmooPower

Trey Griffin

Postby MustangFan » Mon May 21, 2001 7:17 pm

Did this already get posted? Is this old news?

Courtesy of SMUMustangs.com

2001 football signee Trey Griffin recently repeated as the 100-meter dash champion at the 2001 Texas Relays in Austin.

Griffin clocked in with a time of 10.52 seconds. The Lockhart, Texas, native will join the SMU football team in the fall. The wide receiver standout earned first team All-District 25-4A at wide receiver and was listed as one of the top 15 athletes in the state by Lone Star Recruiting.
MustangFan
All-American

Re: Trey Griffin

Postby Charleston Pony » Tue May 22, 2001 8:33 am

It's old news, but it's good news...so we don't mind hearing it again. Always nice to have more speed on our roster. Let's just hope that translates to "football" speed. We recruited some speed in this class, but these are little guys. We still need some hosses to open some holes for these guys and/or give our QB time to get the ball to them.
Charleston Pony
PonyFans.com Super Legend

Postby Hilltopper » Tue May 22, 2001 2:28 pm

That is great news. You're right, he's not huge, but coaches always say speed can't be taught. If we can figure out a way to get the ball in his hands, I'm ready to see the smoke coming off his heels.
Hilltopper
All-American

Postby Guest » Wed May 23, 2001 11:45 am

How big is this kid. I would like to know his size because if he is as small as the rest of the guys, well I hope he is fast.

Postby Guest » Wed May 23, 2001 3:16 pm

I am glad that stanglover is on this board. Several of you forget the fact that many of the guys that get recruited here are a little undersized. I am glad this guy has speed, but then again I hope he has size to.

Postby tex » Wed May 23, 2001 3:29 pm

Stanglover is absolutely correct!!!!! Kris Briggs is big but slow and he cant read a hole but he would make a descent fullback, the two new running backs kinkade (spelling) and brown are just not division one A athletes. Kinkade is small and slow and brown runs like he weighs a buck twenty. Although you never know, they just might surprise everyone and kick [deleted] this year. But, the best back they have is Pipkins. He is big fast and would rather run someone over then try to side-step DB's. If Pipkins had even an average line he could rush for some big yards...

[This message has been edited by tex (edited 05-23-2001).]
tex
Recruit

Postby Guest » Wed May 23, 2001 3:32 pm

Tex i agree with you here. Pipkins is the hardest worker and runner. He is a team player and I enjoy watching him run the football.

------------------
Stanglover rules all

Postby MustangFan » Wed May 23, 2001 6:29 pm

Tex, you're killing me. Pipkins may be hte hardest worker and the best team player we have. But out of him, Briggs, Brown and Kincade, he's the fourth-best running back.
MustangFan
All-American

Postby Guest » Thu May 24, 2001 1:09 pm

MustangFan, do you truly watch football and I don't mean that as a shot at you. I cannot see where everyone thinks these other guys are so good. I try and figure out the hype on Briggs and the other guys but it just does not add up. Briggs is hurt every other day and I'm telling you, he is not much for contact. Once again, I am not by any means talking to just you, I just want to know what it is everyone else is seeing.

Postby Guest » Thu May 24, 2001 1:20 pm

Once again i have to agree with stanglover here. He has finally brought up the point that has been killing me. With a backfield like pipkins and brown, if we turn around the o-line, we could be serious contenders. The mustang D is going to be really good so we don't have to worry there. Bottom line is that we have to put points on the board.

TEXASTANG RULES ALL

------------------
Stanglover rules all

Postby ponytalk » Thu May 24, 2001 1:33 pm

Kincade and Brown are great high school backs and nothing more. Pipkins is a college running back. Pipkins has been getting the shaft, the players know it, he knows it, I know it, and the coaches know it, they are just too weak to use him.

Long Live PIP!
ponytalk
Varsity

Postby tex » Thu May 24, 2001 1:44 pm

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR><font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by MustangFan:
<B>Tex, you're killing me. Pipkins may be the hardest worker and the best team player we have. But out of him, Briggs, Brown and Kincade, he's the fourth-best running back.</B></font><HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Mustangfan, no one here is ganging up on you...we all appreciate your thoughts and opinions...but I Have to agree with everyone else when I say how did you come to this conclusion. I have played with all four backs and I can tell you Briggs is just not talented. He can never read a hole and has an excuse every time he messes up. It is never his fault when a play goes wrong according to him...Pipkins just has a lot of talent and a winning attitude to go with it. It appears to be hand down that Pip is the man!!!!
tex
Recruit

Return to Football