PonyFans.comBoard IndexAround the HilltopFootballRecruitingBasketballOther Sports

Michael Brown

This is the forum for talk about SMU Football

Moderators: PonyPride, SmooPower

Michael Brown

Postby Guest » Wed May 23, 2001 3:36 pm

I am glad that the coaches started playing Brown at fullback in the spring. I think he is the best blocking back on the team. Don't get me wrong he has been contributing at tight end since his freshmen year. I just think that this guy is a outstanding blocker. I think brown and Pipkins, Briggs will make a great backfield.

------------------
Stanglover rules all

Re: Michael Brown

Postby tex » Wed May 23, 2001 3:41 pm

If you put Brown and fullback and Pipkins at tailback then ya'll have a hell-a-fied backfield...If you put Briggs at tailback then there will be some problems. But no one is going anywhere in that backfield if the line sucks and lets be realistic....It does
tex
Recruit

Postby MustangFan » Wed May 23, 2001 6:27 pm

Pipkins has the right attitude and all, but he can't hold a candle to Kris Briggs as a ball-carrier. Briggs is a hoss.

You're right - the line needs to improve.
MustangFan
All-American

Postby Texastang » Wed May 23, 2001 7:06 pm

Slow down MustangFan,
I can assure you that Pipkins can compete for the starting job of tailback. What season were you watching last year, that makes Briggs such an outstanding back that Pipkins couldn't hold a candle to him? I'm not trying to sound rude, its just that I've seen Pipkins show no regard for his body in the hope that his block springs the carrier free. He has guts, and that separates him from the other backs that we have. Not pointing any fingers, but I've never seen Pipkins tip-toe through a hole.
Texastang
Scout Team

Postby Guest » Thu May 24, 2001 11:10 am

Thank you texastang. The only thing i have ever seen pipkins do is put his head down and charge through the hole. I agree completely about pipkins being able to contend. What do you think about brown

------------------
Stanglover rules all

Postby Guest » Thu May 24, 2001 11:31 am

Medicine Man

How much is Stanglover paying you to put that signature on all your posts.

I agree completely with Texasstang. Pip is a tough player, just needs to be more consistent in the coaches eyes I guess. Also, isn't he a Rossley player?

Postby Guest » Thu May 24, 2001 12:03 pm

Swami-
I am not getting paid a thing. It is just apparent that this board would be crazy if there weren't any ex-players on here. I admire, texastang and stanglover, they keep it real.
Texastang rules all

------------------
Stanglover rules all

Postby Guest » Thu May 24, 2001 1:01 pm

Thankyou to all of you supporters out there. Now to the real talk. Everyone in favor of Pip, raise there hand. Briggs is a good football player but I think he has some of that coaches b.s blown up his but and he believes it. He could turn out to be a really good one but he has to learn to put his head down and run, not two-step, but run on a consistant basis. When he does do this then he is pretty good because he is so big. Lets face it, the line is not going to be good enough for a runner to dance around and that is why it is suited for Pip. I have never met a tougher guy on the field. Pip will get the ball and if there is a slight hole, his pads are low and he is going full steam ahead and somebody is going to have to actually hit and rap him up. Its that simple.

Postby Guest » Thu May 24, 2001 1:34 pm

My hand is raised for Pip...

Postby ponytalk » Thu May 24, 2001 1:37 pm

Agreed on all the posts except Mustang Fan.

Mustang Fan, have you watched a practice? Pipkins had an awesome spring and always has. Also, these are past players talking here who played with him. I think they know what they are talking about.

I tell you what, I will give you Brown and Kincade and SMU will take Pip. We will see who is more successful.
ponytalk
Varsity

Postby Texastang » Thu May 24, 2001 5:16 pm

Hey Stanglover, Do you remember watching the Rice game, and what exactly happened down on the goal line?
Texastang
Scout Team

Postby Big Cat » Mon May 28, 2001 12:16 pm

hmmmmm...

CASA NARANJA>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>
Big Cat
Scout Team

Postby MustangFan » Tue May 29, 2001 12:22 pm

Fellas, I think there's a miscommunication here somewhere. I have all the respect in the world for Pip. Kid would run into a brick wall if asked. I agree that this team would be in great shape if we had a roster full of players with his heart and desire. But the fact is that Kris Briggs has an inch of height and 25 pounds on Pipkins. Neither has breakaway speed, and both are decent-but-not-exceptional receivers coming out of the backfield. So in the oh-so-innovative "look for a pile of linemen and plow into it" offense that Cavan and Kueck seem to favor, Briggs is better-suited to blowing through the line once in a while. Granted, he's not going to be a home run threat unless we play Cal St. Northridge again (didn't he have four touchdowns that day?), but he's our best chance to establish a pseudo-solid running game and make the defense honest enough that the two-headed QB moster of Page and Luker has a chance to complete a pass or two.
MustangFan
All-American

Postby jettison » Tue May 29, 2001 4:33 pm

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR><font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by ponytalk:
<B>Also, these are past players talking here who played with him. I think they know what they are talking about.

</B></font><HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Hmm, see I think this may be the problem. I know at least one "has-been" posting these negative messages was upended by Briggs two years ago and sent falling down the depth chart... or was it the bright Nawlin's lights that sent him two yards backwards for a safety that did the job?

I'm in full support of giving Jason Pipkins and Michael Brown some playing time - they sincerely deserve it and could contribute greatly if given the opportunity. But I'm starting to lose my interest in Ponyfans with all these ridiculous people flooding this board now and unnecessarily cutting down other player's talents.

[This message has been edited by jettison (edited 05-29-2001).]
jettison
Junior Varsity

Postby Big Cat » Tue May 29, 2001 7:32 pm

Good post, Jettison. Very funny! By the way, I met your bro the other night (well actually it was a month or so ago). He seems like a great kid.
Big Cat
Scout Team

Next

Return to Football