PonyFans.comBoard IndexAround the HilltopFootballRecruitingBasketballOther Sports

A different direction in QB's

This is the forum for talk about SMU Football

Moderators: PonyPride, SmooPower

A different direction in QB's

Postby Grider » Thu May 24, 2001 10:17 am

The post I just made kinda got me feeling nostalgic for Tom and Ramon, and I got to thinking about our quarterbacks, and where the trend in college quarterbacks are headed.

I really think we should consider going back to a more athletic quarter back with really blazing speed. Instead of taking all of these quarterbacks recruited out of high school to play receiver, lets try and get one to play quarterback. TCU did it and it worked really well for them. We can't just have a drop-back passer with our line(no offense to the big boys). We need a QB that can get out of those tight jams, and give us another offensive threat on the scramble. Those kind of QB's tend to give deffenses real problems, and it looks folks are realizing that in college football.

Now, I know Cedric Vinson didn't want to play QB in college, but there are alot of High School QB's that are wonderful atheletes but aren't going to get a chance to play QB in college at the big schools. So, there may be some opportunities in that direction. What does everyone think??
... _ _ .._
Grider
All-American

Re: A different direction in QB's

Postby Charleston Pony » Fri May 25, 2001 7:41 pm

I think you're right about our needing a more effective guy at QB in order to have any chance of imroving this offense. I think that's a big part of why McCown is gone. He grew tired of being the "whipping boy", but from where I sat, the guy had little mobility and was slow to read a defense and that was DEATH playing behind our line.

I didn't see him play 2 yrs ago, but I'm told Luker has a quick release and if he can learn to read defenses, he just might have a chance of putting some points on the board.

Let's hope so. I'm clinging to hope right now. I still imagine our opening the season with a win at La Tech and then gaining a huge measure of revenge by beating TCU in our home opener in front of a packed house. I'm afraid to even think about what an 0-4 start might do to our program, but the realist in me knows that our schedule sets up that possibility.
Charleston Pony
PonyFans.com Super Legend

Postby smu'06 » Fri May 25, 2001 9:39 pm

Charleston, I am doubtful of an 0-4 start, THANK GOD.

There has to be plenty of GREAT QB's in the LONE STAR STATE ALONE, smae with up in PA, where Joe Paterno wants to turn all the QB's into DBs at Penn St. i.e. Marino, Kelley, and a few others, who left PSU, or opted out of their verbal commitments.

The new prototype should be Steve McNair, who has become a GREAT NFL QB, and was a D-1a QB at McNeese St. He is quick, agile, and has a rocket arm, he also came out of the SMU recruiting area which should includ Louisiana and the Deep South.
University of South Carolina Student and Fan
SMU Fan and possible Law Student
smu'06
Junior Varsity

Postby PonyFan » Mon May 28, 2001 1:29 am

Personally, I'm waiting to see Richard Bartel under center in a year or two. Kid is 6-4, supposed to have a bazooka of an arm and better mobility than people give him credit for. Steal of the class, that's my prediction.
"What kind of weirdo school are they running over there in Fort Worth?"
- Randy Galloway
ESPN Radio (103.3 FM)
PonyFan
Heisman

Return to Football