PonyFans.comBoard IndexAround the HilltopFootballRecruitingBasketballOther Sports

Bread and butter

This is the forum for talk about SMU Football

Moderators: PonyPride, SmooPower

Bread and butter

Postby WildHorse » Wed Jul 05, 2000 4:57 pm

We no longer have a quarterback like Ramon Flanigan who can get yardage on sheer speed, or an overpowering back who can run through defenders. Who is the target when we face short yardage and NEED a first down?

I say John Hampton and Kris Briggs.

Your thoughts?
Go PONIES!
WildHorse
All-American

Re: Bread and butter

Postby SMUPonyFan » Wed Jul 05, 2000 7:20 pm

Briggs is pretty powerful!
But Ditto on Hampton and Briggs.

------------------
Go Red, Go Blue, Go Mustangs, S M U
SMUPonyFan
Varsity

Postby jettison » Thu Jul 06, 2000 11:41 am

One back formations seem counterproductive to the short yardage systems, unless they set Hampton or Brown in motion into the backfield to block for Briggs!

Don't we have something to offer in terms of a big strong fullback? It seems like that position has died in college football, and the League is always are looking for more Mike Alstotts, D. Johnstons, etc. Any candidates on SMU?
jettison
Junior Varsity

Postby ALL4SMU » Thu Jul 06, 2000 12:32 pm

Woods is the only true fullback that I can think of on the team...Which does not mean that much. Brown started off at fullback, but now isn't he playing TE? I am sure the coaches have something in mind. Kueck's offense was awesome at his last school, and i have faith it will be awesome here as well! Mustangs are back!

------------------
"Show me a happy and gracious loser, and I'll show you a failure."- Knute Rockne
\"Show me a happy and gracious loser, and I'll show you a failure.\"- Knute Rockne
ALL4SMU
Varsity

Postby SMUPonyFan » Sun Jul 09, 2000 10:17 pm

I have total faith in Kueck, his stats from S. Miss and Marshall are outstanding. After watching him in the Spring, he has it together. He will be ready for any situation. I say, if you can't produce in short yardage situations, GO LONG!

------------------
SMUPonyFan
Varsity

Return to Football