PonyFans.comBoard IndexAround the HilltopFootballRecruitingBasketballOther Sports

Sorry Boys...it's never going to happen

This is the forum for talk about SMU Football

Moderators: PonyPride, SmooPower

Sorry Boys...it's never going to happen

Postby Dwan » Fri Nov 29, 2013 6:32 pm

I have officially given up on this program ever being good. Sadly I'm convinced it is never going to be a top 25 program.

We were given the death penalty, then had an administration that made us play with one arm tied behind our back for 15 years, and during that 15 years, there was an arms race in college football occurring that we did not even know was happening. The sad result of these events is that this program will never be "back." I see the end of the June Jones era as the end of any hope. We finally were able to let athletes into school, were paying a coach major dollars, had good facilities, and hired an experienced coach who had turned a program around....and the best we could do was an 8-5 season in a second tier conference and a second tier bowl win. I know this board likes to dis June Jones, but he was an NFL head coach who took Hawaii from a winless season to the Sugar Bowl. Winning at Hawaii is 10 times harder than winning at SMU. I think it is dillusional to think that all this program needs is a young energetic coach with Texas ties who can go land 3 and 4 star recruits and then we will be like TCU or Baylor. Sure that would help, but the problems here are much bigger than simply a coach who recruits harder. I believe this is the reason that June Jones has given up and why he tried to bolt to ASU. Simply stated, it can't be done at SMU. 7 or 8 wins in a second tier conference, maybe even one year we get to 10 wins can be accomplished, but that is going to be the ceiling of this football program. The DP and years of mistakes by the administration coupled with the evolution of college football during our 20 year "nap" have made this a ship that cannot be turned around.

Any hope of being a major player in college athletics rests in the basketball program...and the outlook is very positive there. I feel it is highly likely that SMU will be a top 15 program in the nation that will make deep tourney runs and maybe even a final four or a national championship.
Dwan
Heisman

Re: Sorry Boys...it's never going to happen

Postby sbsmith » Fri Nov 29, 2013 6:41 pm

Total BS, June was a failure in the NFL and only took Hawaii to the Sugar courtesy of an incredibly weak schedule (and they got blown out by Georgia in the game). What's delusional is thinking that June Jones era is this program's ceiling. It's like you haven't even being paying attention to recruiting or the games.
They who would give up an essential liberty for temporary security, deserve neither liberty or security

-Benjamin Franklin
sbsmith
PonyFans.com Super Legend

Postby Rebel10 » Fri Nov 29, 2013 6:46 pm

Admissions is no longer an issue.
#HammerDown
Rebel10

Postby birddogger » Fri Nov 29, 2013 6:46 pm

I respectfully disagree, if only because "never" is a long time. I think a coach with local connections and an appetite for recruiting can succeed at SMU. I say this because I grew up watching Northwestern, Stanford, Oregon, TCU and other programs languish. Some of these schools went winless at times, too.

Success can happen here too, but we don't have the right person. He's not a bad person, he's just not the right one.
birddogger
All-American

Postby skyscraper » Fri Nov 29, 2013 6:47 pm

If June had tried then I would believe this.
But he didn't and the result of that lack of effort was on display today.
Our conference blows and there's an opportunity to be 'king of the midgets' if we get our act together.
skyscraper

Postby feelthehorsepower » Fri Nov 29, 2013 6:52 pm

7 Kinds of College Football Programs...which one are we?

1. The Football Powerhouse Program

This school’s entire reason for existence is college football. Students apply there simply because they have a good football team, the deans and professors do nothing to stand in the way of players staying eligible and the coaches make sure the players keep their focus on the field, not in the classroom. While the NCAA hammered Penn State University for its “football culture,” these schools see that term as a goal and a compliment.

Things you’ll hear their fans say:

“Oh, come on. Everyone skirts the NCAA rules. That’s just how it works. You’d be stupid not to.”

“S-E-C! S-E-C! S-E-C!”

2. The Reflected Conference Glory Program

This football program is mediocre at best and a laughing stock at worst, but they like to pretend they are an elite program because they happen to be in a good conference. When their conference mates win bowl games, it’s like they also won a bowl game sitting at home at 3-8.

Things You’ll Hear Their Fans Say:

“Just think how good we’d be if we were in a cake conference and didn’t have to play such a brutal schedule.”

“S-E-C! S-E-C! S-E-C!”

3. The Ancient History Power Program

This second-rate program won a championship decades ago, before any of its current players were even born, yet still believes it is seen as a national power and legit title contender. The stadium video board and game program are full of grainy images of glory that the fans like to pretend were taken yesterday.

“I heard we’re about to sign [name of program legend]‘s grandson. He’ll probably be awesome.”

“All the idiots who say we suck have absolutely no knowledge of the history of college football.”

4. The Basketball School Program

This is a self-proclaimed “basketball school,” which means three things: 1) they have a consistently successful basketball team; 2) they blow at the most popular and profitable college sport; 3) they like to pretend that it is somehow impossible for a school to be good at two sports.

“Ah, who cares. We’ll kick their [deleted] in basketball.”

“Our tight end is 6-6, 240. Why is he playing stupid football?”

5. The Academic Program

This school’s football team is horrible. Truly awful. But the school’s alums attempt to wear it as a badge of honor, as though they attended a college that placed learning above a brutal blood sport. As though people with average IQs and above can’t be good at sports. As though their greatest fantasy isn’t a 6-win season and a spot in the Safe Auto Insurance Bowl. As though they’re not consumed by jealousy of the football power schools.

“We can’t compete with the football powers because we actually recruit people who can read and write.”

“Oh, please. Stanford? That’s the exception that proves the rule.”

6. The “We Do It The Right Way” Program

This is a mix of The Academic Program and The Ancient History Power Program. They have some football success but never threaten for a national title. They graduate a respectable amount of players — most of whom have never committed violent crimes. Their fans spend all of their time reminding everyone of these facts. When they’re on their game, fans of these teams can be the most smug of all.

“Yeah, but if you mix winning percentage with graduation rate, we’re way better than you.”

“Obviously you didn’t see the Academic All-American team.”

7. The Consistent Underachiever Program

There is no reason this shouldn’t be a good football program. They’re a big state school with a huge athletic budget, first-class facilities and thousands of fans, alums and boosters nationwide who are more than willing to place college kids playing football way out of perspective. Yet they don’t win. Ever. Sure, there are some 8-4 seasons here and there, even a magical 9-3 campaign a few years back, and a nearly annual birth in the Crap.com Bowl, but year after year they disappoint and depress.

“We have a great recruiting class coming in. Next year is going to be special.”

“Ah, jeez. Here we go again. I can’t watch this.
feelthehorsepower
Heisman

Postby LakeHighlandsPony » Fri Nov 29, 2013 6:53 pm

I have to believe that if a winner can be created in Boise bleeping Idaho and Logan, Utah or even Monroe, Louisiana than we still have a chance. We are still located right in the middle of the best high school football recruits in the country. Softies like R. Gerald make me question if our University really cares though.
LakeHighlandsPony
Hall of Famer

Postby Treadway21 » Fri Nov 29, 2013 6:55 pm

Some of what you say is true but Jube Jones failure at SMU is in him. He never connected with our fans or the school. He was disinterested in capitalizing in his early success by establishing recruiting. He underhandedly tried to go to ASI just as we were making headway.

He did bit show any respect to this school who paid him handsomely when he was ready to leave when we showed him a lot of respect by how we hired him.

He has made few if any changes to his offensive philosophy when all of college football is changing. He neglects certain positions, running back, kicked, punter. He made no effort to be competitive in our OIC games.

What happened is he saw no other college or pro team wanted him and SMU was going to be the last place he coached, so he quit on the school. A sad fact.

He squandered a great amount of good will from fans such as myself that saw him as a guy that would continue to push the envelope. We have and will be competitive but won't with our current coach and I really wish I did not have to say that.
An atheist is a guy who watches a Notre Dame-SMU football game and
doesn't care who wins.
-- Dwight D. Eisenhower
Treadway21

Postby gostangs » Fri Nov 29, 2013 6:58 pm

or fort worth…..

there are economic realities that it is easy to sluff off - but in reality controls all of this.
gostangs

Postby ponyscott » Fri Nov 29, 2013 7:04 pm

feelthehorsepower wrote:7 Kinds of College Football Programs...which one are we?

1. The Football Powerhouse Program

This school’s entire reason for existence is college football. Students apply there simply because they have a good football team, the deans and professors do nothing to stand in the way of players staying eligible and the coaches make sure the players keep their focus on the field, not in the classroom. While the NCAA hammered Penn State University for its “football culture,” these schools see that term as a goal and a compliment.

Things you’ll hear their fans say:

“Oh, come on. Everyone skirts the NCAA rules. That’s just how it works. You’d be stupid not to.”

“S-E-C! S-E-C! S-E-C!”

2. The Reflected Conference Glory Program

This football program is mediocre at best and a laughing stock at worst, but they like to pretend they are an elite program because they happen to be in a good conference. When their conference mates win bowl games, it’s like they also won a bowl game sitting at home at 3-8.

“Just think how good we’d be if we were in a cake conference and didn’t have to play such a brutal schedule.”

“S-E-C! S-E-C! S-E-C!”

3. The Ancient History Power Program

This second-rate program won a championship decades ago, before any of its current players were even born, yet still believes it is seen as a national power and legit title contender. The stadium video board and game program are full of grainy images of glory that the fans like to pretend were taken yesterday.

“I heard we’re about to sign [name of program legend]‘s grandson. He’ll probably be awesome.”

“All the idiots who say we suck have absolutely no knowledge of the history of college football.”

4. The Basketball School Program

This is a self-proclaimed “basketball school,” which means three things: 1) they have a consistently successful basketball team; 2) they blow at the most popular and profitable college sport; 3) they like to pretend that it is somehow impossible for a school to be good at two sports.

“Ah, who cares. We’ll kick their [deleted] in basketball.”

“Our tight end is 6-6, 240. Why is he playing stupid football?”

5. The Academic Program

This school’s football team is horrible. Truly awful. But the school’s alums attempt to wear it as a badge of honor, as though they attended a college that placed learning above a brutal blood sport. As though people with average IQs and above can’t be good at sports. As though their greatest fantasy isn’t a 6-win season and a spot in the Safe Auto Insurance Bowl. As though they’re not consumed by jealousy of the football power schools.

“We can’t compete with the football powers because we actually recruit people who can read and write.”

“Oh, please. Stanford? That’s the exception that proves the rule.”

6. The “We Do It The Right Way” Program

This is a mix of The Academic Program and The Ancient History Power Program. They have some football success but never threaten for a national title. They graduate a respectable amount of players — most of whom have never committed violent crimes. Their fans spend all of their time reminding everyone of these facts. When they’re on their game, fans of these teams can be the most smug of all.

“Yeah, but if you mix winning percentage with graduation rate, we’re way better than you.”

“Obviously you didn’t see the Academic All-American team.”

7. The Consistent Underachiever Program

There is no reason this shouldn’t be a good football program. They’re a big state school with a huge athletic budget, first-class facilities and thousands of fans, alums and boosters nationwide who are more than willing to place college kids playing football way out of perspective. Yet they don’t win. Ever. Sure, there are some 8-4 seasons here and there, even a magical 9-3 campaign a few years back, and a nearly annual birth in the Crap.com Bowl, but year after year they disappoint and depress.

“We have a great recruiting class coming in. Next year is going to be special.”

“Ah, jeez. Here we go again. I can’t watch this.

Nicely done sir.
ponyscott

Postby Dwan » Fri Nov 29, 2013 7:07 pm

The problem is not June Jones boys. It's bigger than that. Simplistic thinking to say it's just the coach. This season yes, on the field and on recruiting, but why has he stopped caring? I'm not doubting he does not care, the question is why. Saying he is old and a bad coach simply ignores the clossal disaster that is SMU football. I'm saying that our situation is so impossible and so bad that we have a coach who does not want to be here, has not wanted to be here for 2 years, and he doesn't want to be here because he knows it is impossible situation. And we have not fired him. That is reality. And it's been this way for DECADES!

I want June gone, but to ignore his credentials or say yeah but about Turing Hawaii into a bcs team is the ultimate sun shinner for this program. It can't be that the program is screwed?
Dwan
Heisman

Postby ponyscott » Fri Nov 29, 2013 7:10 pm

Dwan wrote:The problem is not June Jones boys. It's bigger than that. Simplistic thinking to say it's just the coach. This season yes, on the field and on recruiting, but why has he stopped caring? I'm not doubting he does not care, the question is why. Saying he is old and a bad coach simply ignores the clossal disaster that is SMU football. I'm saying that our situation is so impossible and so bad that we have a coach who does not want to be here, has not wanted to be here for 2 years, and he doesn't want to be here because he knows it is impossible situation. And we have not fired him. That is reality. And it's been this way for DECADES!

I want June gone, but to ignore his credentials or say yeah but about Turing Hawaii into a bcs team is the ultimate sun shinner for this program. It can't be that the program is screwed?

Come down from the ledge Dwan please ...it's ok....we will make it happen again. This is a can do college within a can do city with can do guys with money. Have faith....
ponyscott

Postby MV pony » Fri Nov 29, 2013 8:19 pm

I don't think it's ever going to happen either. And those can do guys with money are going to die off and the next generation will have other loyalties.
MV pony
All-American

Postby couch 'em » Fri Nov 29, 2013 8:35 pm

If you expected anything different from this season you are clueless. The rest of us with a clue saw it coming
"I think Couchem is right."
-EVERYONE
couch 'em

Postby Dwan » Fri Nov 29, 2013 9:37 pm

Never said I expected anything from this season. This is about what I expected. Just think we are heading into the off season, the program in getting worse and I don't think a new coach is the issue. I laugh at these statements of if we just had a young new dynamic coach, it will all come together. The issues are institutional.
Dwan
Heisman

Next

Return to Football