PonyFans.comBoard IndexAround the HilltopFootballRecruitingBasketballOther Sports

Sorry Boys...it's never going to happen

This is the forum for talk about SMU Football

Moderators: PonyPride, SmooPower

Re: Sorry Boys...it's never going to happen

Postby PerunaPunch » Sun Dec 01, 2013 11:43 am

Stallion wrote:Again if I'm wrong name 1 single player who was not admitted to SMU in football or basketball that has ever started a single game at the Division 1A level. You have never responded to this question. Nobody has ever responded to this question. Your argument is factually baseless

Sorry, I didn't realize you'd ever asked me this question. I named one the other day (which I shouldn't have) and got absolutely blasted for it.

Darryl Jackson is another name I can throw out because he himself disclosed his admission issues to the public. He couldn't get into SMU, but got onto the Oregon State football roster easy enough. Sad to see he's not on their roster anymore.
"It's a couple hundred million dollars. I'm not losing sleep over it." -- David Miller
PerunaPunch
Hall of Famer

Postby 78pony » Sun Dec 01, 2013 12:35 pm

Dwan wrote:I don't think we have admissions issues, I think we have administrative issues. I think everybody on this board would love to see SMU become a BCS buster and win a BCS bowl. To eventually be a top 10 program that competes in a BCS conference for BCS bowls and national titles. But is that what RGT's goal is? It's not. Ask him. He will tell you that he values high graduation rates and running a clean program. He is satisfied with 8 win seasons in a second tier conference. We look at TCU and say, see, they did it, so can we. He looks at that and sees pot busts for players and players getting DUI's in the national media. He does not want the negatives that unfortunately are associated with top 10 football programs.

Oddly enough, we might just have success in basketball. But the scary thing is that it was an accident that we ended up with Larry Brown. It's not like our administration said, hey, lets get serious about basketball

Dwan, my memory is not as good as it once was but I got 2 phone calls within an hour some 8+/- years ago from mustang club board members who reported that Turner had just addressed the group and made a call somewhat similar to yours. Except I was told he said the he was fine with 6 wins, and both contacts said that the way he phrased it indicated 5 or even an occasional 4 was ok provided we graduated players and stayed out of the headlines.

There is your problem. At the top. And it is OVER as Turner will be renewed.
78pony
Heisman

Postby 03Mustang » Sun Dec 01, 2013 12:56 pm

In 2005 we hadn't been to a bowl since 1984 and we only even saw 6 wins once since that time....not to defend RGT entirely, but don't you think it's possible that the standard at that time was considerably lower than it is today?

Look at the changes in admissions, the added majors, and the additional cash outlays (albeit not quite at the rate of our competition) since that time. I think a case can be made that RGT is a big part of the reason we aren't competing at the highest level, but the implication that he is fine with us wallowing in mediocrity just doesn't stand up to more recent evidence.

I think there is room to improve but there is NO QUESTION this program takes athletics more seriously today than it did in 2005, and that's likely in large part a response to the positives that schools like TCU and Baylor have seen across the board stemming from recent athletic success.
03Mustang
PonyFans.com Legend

Postby Stallion » Sun Dec 01, 2013 1:40 pm

Ha1 Yea! He came up with Darryl Jackson- 1 of the 2 I already CONCEDED above. He was conditionally admitted to SMU with the understanding that he pass 2 Community College courses. But he decided not to take the deal Turner offered him. Instead, he committed to UCLA and-you guessed it was not admitted for the upcoming semester and instead took 2 community courses in Los Angeles with the hopes of delayed admission in January. Then Jackson pulled a switcheroo and instead decided to sign with Oregon St at mid-term. Was it really a switcheroo or did he fail to get admitted to UCLA just like about 2 other UCLA mid-term enrollees in past years despite being full qualifiers. Who knows? But anyway Darryl Jackson has never played a down and retired about 1 year into his career at Oregon St. after doctors discovered a career ending high school injury that had not healed

As for the argument that we may not know of kids who are denied admission because SMU simply moves on-that argument does not make sense when SMU has signed about 20 non-qualifiers and probably another 20 late qualifiers that we waited on for 6 months after signing date to see if they could qualify. We did drop one marginal recruit last year because we were up against the 25 man limit and we didn't want to waste a scholarship. Every school moves on from projected non-qualifers but the evidence is OVERWHELING that SMU commits and will wait on marginal academic risk who MIGHT qualify. Most recent example is Frazier as well as the non-qualifiers and late qualifiers above

So we are left with one big fact. No one in the SMU community when challenged has ever named a single full qualifier in football who was denied admission to SMU but signed with another Division 1A program and has ever started a single game in Division 1A. THEREFORE, SMU in fact has not been at a competitive disadvantage-until someone can show causation between an SMU admission policy and a specific recruit denied admission

If June Jones comes out swinging because he gets bought-out I hope SMU is ready to dump the academic truth right on his [deleted]. They need to be ready to protect the image of the program because June Jones always has a scapegoat
"With a quarter of a tank of gas, we can get everything we need right here in DFW." -SMU Head Coach Chad Morris

When momentum starts rolling downhill in recruiting-WATCH OUT.
Stallion
PonyFans.com Super Legend

Postby RGV Pony » Sun Dec 01, 2013 3:00 pm

"all my friends told me not to take this job"
RGV Pony

Postby Pony Boss » Wed May 11, 2016 7:11 am

Dwan wrote:I have officially given up on this program ever being good. Sadly I'm convinced it is never going to be a top 25 program.

We were given the death penalty, then had an administration that made us play with one arm tied behind our back for 15 years, and during that 15 years, there was an arms race in college football occurring that we did not even know was happening. The sad result of these events is that this program will never be "back." I see the end of the June Jones era as the end of any hope. We finally were able to let athletes into school, were paying a coach major dollars, had good facilities, and hired an experienced coach who had turned a program around....and the best we could do was an 8-5 season in a second tier conference and a second tier bowl win. I know this board likes to dis June Jones, but he was an NFL head coach who took Hawaii from a winless season to the Sugar Bowl. Winning at Hawaii is 10 times harder than winning at SMU. I think it is dillusional to think that all this program needs is a young energetic coach with Texas ties who can go land 3 and 4 star recruits and then we will be like TCU or Baylor. Sure that would help, but the problems here are much bigger than simply a coach who recruits harder. I believe this is the reason that June Jones has given up and why he tried to bolt to ASU. Simply stated, it can't be done at SMU. 7 or 8 wins in a second tier conference, maybe even one year we get to 10 wins can be accomplished, but that is going to be the ceiling of this football program. The DP and years of mistakes by the administration coupled with the evolution of college football during our 20 year "nap" have made this a ship that cannot be turned around.

Any hope of being a major player in college athletics rests in the basketball program...and the outlook is very positive there. I feel it is highly likely that SMU will be a top 15 program in the nation that will make deep tourney runs and maybe even a final four or a national championship.

Artful troll job
Pony Boss
Hall of Famer

Postby footballdad » Wed May 11, 2016 9:17 am

Pony Boss wrote:
Dwan wrote:I have officially given up on this program ever being good. Sadly I'm convinced it is never going to be a top 25 program.

We were given the death penalty, then had an administration that made us play with one arm tied behind our back for 15 years, and during that 15 years, there was an arms race in college football occurring that we did not even know was happening. The sad result of these events is that this program will never be "back." I see the end of the June Jones era as the end of any hope. We finally were able to let athletes into school, were paying a coach major dollars, had good facilities, and hired an experienced coach who had turned a program around....and the best we could do was an 8-5 season in a second tier conference and a second tier bowl win. I know this board likes to dis June Jones, but he was an NFL head coach who took Hawaii from a winless season to the Sugar Bowl. Winning at Hawaii is 10 times harder than winning at SMU. I think it is dillusional to think that all this program needs is a young energetic coach with Texas ties who can go land 3 and 4 star recruits and then we will be like TCU or Baylor. Sure that would help, but the problems here are much bigger than simply a coach who recruits harder. I believe this is the reason that June Jones has given up and why he tried to bolt to ASU. Simply stated, it can't be done at SMU. 7 or 8 wins in a second tier conference, maybe even one year we get to 10 wins can be accomplished, but that is going to be the ceiling of this football program. The DP and years of mistakes by the administration coupled with the evolution of college football during our 20 year "nap" have made this a ship that cannot be turned around.

Any hope of being a major player in college athletics rests in the basketball program...and the outlook is very positive there. I feel it is highly likely that SMU will be a top 15 program in the nation that will make deep tourney runs and maybe even a final four or a national championship.

Artful troll job

Au Contraire, it seems Mr. Dwan may actually be psychic:

"7 or 8 wins in a second tier conference, maybe even one year we get to 10 wins can be accomplished, but that is going to be the ceiling of this football program. The DP and years of mistakes by the administration coupled with the evolution of college football during our 20 year "nap" have made this a ship that cannot be turned around.

Any hope of being a major player in college athletics rests in the basketball program...and the outlook is very positive there. I feel it is highly likely that SMU will be a top 15 program in the nation that will make deep tourney runs and maybe even a final four or a national championship."
footballdad
Hall of Famer

Postby Stallion » Wed May 11, 2016 11:40 am

SMU will be a player in the AAC in Football in the near future-I don't know how many fans will see it-but Morris will have this program competitive within the AAC.

Most prophetic line in this thread is "SMU will get the athletic program its alumni are willing to pay for." The administrative barriers are few-they've been essentially gone since June got here as I've been saying for 8 years now. Been proven by a successful, bankrolled Basketball program but Football can not survive financially on 1800 Mustang Club members.

I've been staying away from these P5 expansion threads because we are on the outside looking in-we've got essentially zero chance except in a reconstituted Big 12. I've been pretty pessimistic that there are enough of us willing to pay the price to have a P5 Football program for awhile. Been hoping-no need to cry and moan if the alumni support simply isn't there.

The administration can't force the SMU community to give a damn. They've supported the program and lowered standards about has much as could reasonably be expected. In some ways if we can maintain the current level SMU Football can survive under the current style of Coaching Staff and Academic Model.

If SMU doesn't make the cut, its because of US-the SMU Football community and alumni. The call was made to Lock-Arms-not after we've won 10 games 3 years in a row-Lock Arms now-how has the SMU community and alumni responded? I'd say so far they really haven't shown a willingness to pay for it
"With a quarter of a tank of gas, we can get everything we need right here in DFW." -SMU Head Coach Chad Morris

When momentum starts rolling downhill in recruiting-WATCH OUT.
Stallion

Postby One Trick Pony » Wed May 11, 2016 12:13 pm

Yeah
One Trick Pony

Postby Bergermeister » Wed May 11, 2016 12:36 pm

Stallion wrote: Football can not survive financially on 1800 Mustang Club members.

Give or take a couple hundred, that's all there'll ever be.
Bergermeister

Postby Nacho » Wed May 11, 2016 12:50 pm

uofh has as much of a chance as we do-zero, zip, nada.
ut hates uoh almost as much as they hate us.
Nacho

Postby Charleston Pony » Wed May 11, 2016 2:16 pm

Bergermeister wrote:
Stallion wrote: Football can not survive financially on 1800 Mustang Club members.

Give or take a couple hundred, that's all there'll ever be.

strategy has to be to get the students involved while they are students (like Clemson's booster club IPTAY that I'm sure Morris is well aware of). Since football tickets are easy to come by, "Student" Mustang Club membership should allow them to get into bball games but the goal has to be to enlist roughly the same number of Mustang Club members as we have students...at least undergraduate students, which means almost tripling our current numbers. I know this is an old thread but still relevant today. At any rate, I'm still a believer and while I'm not sure we can ever compete again for a football national championship, I do believe we can join the Top 25 again some day and that will make game day at SMU pretty special.
Charleston Pony

Postby Pony Boss » Wed May 11, 2016 3:05 pm

Stallion is correct.
Once we have alumni that care, then the money will flow. They are not going to care after 1-11. Basketball once more, alumni now are starting to care and look at SMU and the first thing they say when football comes into the conversation is "yeah the football team sucks...whatever...basketball?" So there you go, as long as you are an embarrassment no one will have reason to care. TCWho had to scrape 11 win seasons for 12 years to get their alumni to actually care.
Pony Boss
Hall of Famer

Postby Pony Boss » Wed May 11, 2016 3:09 pm

And the mustang club does a horrible job with students...never not even once did I or anyone I knew in my class knew about the mustang club. It was only a few y ears after grad that I found out by researching/reading about it here. They need to step it up with the kids right now just as they did the whole mob thing do the mustang club the same way.
Pony Boss
Hall of Famer

Postby blackoutpony » Wed May 11, 2016 3:13 pm

Pony Boss wrote:And the mustang club does a horrible job with students...never not even once did I or anyone I knew in my class knew about the mustang club. It was only a few y ears after grad that I found out by researching/reading about it here. They need to step it up with the kids right now just as they did the whole mob thing do the mustang club the same way.

The same was true for me and my friends when I was in school and I actually wholeheartedly agree. You could even just make the Mob membership part of the Mustang Club and roll it all up into a nice little package.

Happy Wednesday everyone.
BOP - Providing insensitivity training for a politically correct world since 1989.
blackoutpony
PonyFans.com Legend

PreviousNext

Return to Football