PonyFans.comBoard IndexAround the HilltopFootballRecruitingBasketballOther Sports

Franchione the academic disciplinarian?

This is the forum for talk about SMU Football

Moderators: PonyPride, SmooPower

Franchione the academic disciplinarian?

Postby Pony Up » Tue May 29, 2001 4:49 pm

Can you imagine him pulling this in Fort Worth? (Got this from CNNSI.com.)

TUSCALOOSA, Ala. (AP) -- Alabama coach Dennis Franchione has sent two players packing because of academic problems.

Senior safety Connie Brown and sophomore wide receiver Derrick Woods were declared academically ineligible for the 2001 season.

Brown, a former junior-college All-American from Petaluma, Calif., played in all 11 games last season.

"He basically sent me home," Brown said Thursday from California. "But I failed the classes, and that's obviously my responsibility."

Brown said he plans to transfer to a Division 1-A school, redshirt next season, and improve his grades and play as a senior in 2002.

Woods, listed as third-team slot-back this spring, played in nine games last fall. His future plans were undecided.

Alabama has lost eight players from the 2000 roster who have either decided to transfer or were disqualified.
Proud to be a PonyFan
Pony Up
All-American

Re: Franchione the academic disciplinarian?

Postby BleedingRed+Blue » Wed May 30, 2001 10:59 am

Wasn't this the same coach who tried so hard to get Tyson Thompson into TCU, even though his academics were awful and he got arrested? I gather he's got a little more talent at his disposal if he can dismiss players like this. Either that or he works for a university that's not run by its players.
BleedingRed+Blue
All-American

Return to Football