PonyFans.comBoard IndexAround the HilltopFootballRecruitingBasketballOther Sports

SEC expansion talk on message boards

This is the forum for talk about SMU Football

Moderators: PonyPride, SmooPower

SEC expansion talk on message boards

Postby NavyCrimson » Thu May 31, 2001 11:36 am

now this is definitely interesting - somewhat surprising on this type of talk from SEC/bama fans - but i think it will take an act of God for it to happen - for the SEC anyways ....

<A HREF="http://www.tidefans.com/ubb/Forum6/HTML/002774.html" TARGET=_blank>http://www.tidefans.com/ubb/Forum6/HTML/002774.html</A>

------------------
BRING BACK THE GLORY DAYS OF SMU FOOTBALL!!!

For some strange reason, one of the few universities that REFUSE to use their school colors: Harvard Crimson & Yale Blue.
NavyCrimson
PonyFans.com Legend

Location: Simi Valley-CA (Hm of the Ronald Reagan Presidential Library)

Re: SEC expansion talk on message boards

Postby Charleston Pony » Thu May 31, 2001 8:10 pm

I don't see any of the 12 school conferences wanting to break away from that mold...unless it would both reduce travel expenses AND improve the overall strength of the conference. For the SEC, that would mean adding schools like Fla St or Clemson in the east and UT, A$M or OU in the west. I could see a conference wanting to expand to 14 schools, since that would set up 6 divisional games (presumably closer in proximity to reduce travel) and require only 2 cross-over games. Of course, in the SEC, Alabama/Auburn are closer to Georgia than they would be to Texas or Oklahoma. Realistically, I don't see this happening.

What does make sense, in order to structure Division I football for a playoff system, is to require all conferences to have at least 12 members and have conference championships (like most now have bball tourneys) to determine their playoff representative. This would effectively force the consolidation of the SunBelt, WAC, MWC & CUSA into just 3 conferences. It might also FINALLY force Notre Dame to join the Big 10 (where they belong). It would make for some interesting shuffling of schools as the ACC and Big East expanded to 12 and the other conferences (CUSA, MWC & WAC) then back-filled to get to 12 schools.
Charleston Pony
PonyFans.com Super Legend

Postby Big Cat » Thu May 31, 2001 10:41 pm

I playoff system would be great, IMO. I think if there were 16 teams in a playoff, which would mean 4 weeks of games, it would be the best scenario. The season would still end at roughly the same time, and we would have a true national champion. Also, it would allow all the bowl games to have a top opponent. Just my opinion.
Big Cat
Scout Team

Postby smu'06 » Sun Jun 03, 2001 2:37 pm

The scenario is wonderful, but I'll believe it when I see it.
University of South Carolina Student and Fan
SMU Fan and possible Law Student
smu'06
Junior Varsity

Return to Football