PonyFans.comBoard IndexAround the HilltopFootballRecruitingBasketballOther Sports

Revenue Sharing

This is the forum for talk about SMU Football

Moderators: PonyPride, SmooPower

Revenue Sharing

Postby Charleston Pony » Sat Jun 02, 2001 10:24 am

I read this a.m. that the SEC anoounced a record $78.1 million revenue to be shared among it's 12 member schools from TV contracts, league championship games/tourneys and post season participation. That figure does not include another $10.8 million the bowl teams kept as their share (to offset travel expenses).

It's obvious that SMU is never going to see that kind of revenue from it's conference affiliation (I don't see any of the non-BCS conferences landing a really lucrative TV deal). So, what can be done? While Ford stadium, with it's luxury boxes and club level seating will help increase football revenue, what we obviously need is a product on the field that will attract sellout crowds. Same for basketball. Hopefully, we can raise the funds to renovate Moody and create luxury boxes and/or club level seating there as well. Again, what we really need is to figure out a way to put 7,500 into Moody every night!

We are currently participating in more than the minimum number of sports proposed at the recent NCAA meetings for Division I status. I'm concerned that in light of recent athletic dept budget cuts, we could see one of our sports eliminated (one of our successful sports, I should add).
Charleston Pony
PonyFans.com Super Legend

Re: Revenue Sharing

Postby SMUstang » Sat Jun 02, 2001 3:34 pm

Your post reminds me of the Fred Benners letter to the editor of the Dallas Morning News that was posted on the MM message board for a long time. He said, in effect, that the SMU administration had better start doing more to make our athletic programs more successful if they are going to survive. They made a start by making recruiting a little easier this year. But more needs to be done.

Just this week Jim Copeland had to make staff reductions due to budgetary constraints.

[This message has been edited by SMUstang (edited 06-02-2001).]
SMUstang
Heisman

Return to Football