PonyFans.comBoard IndexAround the HilltopFootballRecruitingBasketballOther Sports

Doak Walker Plaza

This is the forum for talk about SMU Football

Moderators: PonyPride, SmooPower

Doak Walker Plaza

Postby SMUPonyFan » Sun Jun 03, 2001 9:48 pm

When will the plaza honoring Doak be built? I drove by the other day and it is still a grassy area. Will the budget problems delay the building?

------------------
Go Red, Go Blue, Go Mustangs, S M U
Go Red, Go Blue, Go Mustangs, S M U
SMUPonyFan
Varsity

Re: Doak Walker Plaza

Postby BUS » Tue Jun 05, 2001 12:50 pm

Would like to get a donation trust started for Old Mustang so that we could get a tree or something in his memory.
Mustang Militia: Fight the good fight"
BUS
PonyFans.com Super Legend

Postby D » Tue Jun 05, 2001 1:12 pm

I was wondering about that too. I made the donation for the statue a couple of years ago. I understood more than enough money was raised, so I wonder what the hold up is? I heard it was supposed to be ready for the start of this year and that the statue has been ready for awhile. Anyone know if the plaza and statue aren't going to be unvelied for the new season?
D
Varsity

Postby smu'06 » Tue Jun 05, 2001 9:20 pm

I think it would be best...if a series of statues remembering SMU greats were built around the stadium in key positions...one for Walker...Dickerson...James...and then have ED and James on hand for the ceremony along with Doak's surviving family.
University of South Carolina Student and Fan
SMU Fan and possible Law Student
smu'06
Junior Varsity

Postby Dirty Bird » Wed Jun 06, 2001 2:41 pm

Don't forget to add Anthony Scotti to the abovementioned names that should be enshrined as Mustang Greats.
Dirty Bird
Junior Varsity

Postby D » Wed Jun 06, 2001 3:15 pm

Nice. I agree, Scotti definitely deserves to be in there too. Hopefully, when they are creating the highlight tape for his enshrinement they won't include the negative yardage punt at Baylor in '94. He was consistent throughout his career though.

Seriously, I don't think James or Dickerson should be in the Plaza. If we did them, we would have a lot of other statues to create and I don't think we should just have statues all over the outside of the stadium. I think this would be a mistake similar to retiring all of those numbers last year. I think it somewhat cheapens the process and makes it less exclusive. Not saying most of the individuals didn't deserve it last year. I'm just hoping they won't do that with the plaza and statues.
D
Varsity

Postby Texastang » Wed Jun 06, 2001 3:42 pm

D, Why would you say that Scotti deserves to be in there and not James or Dickerson? I'm not saying that Scotti wasn't one of the best , but are you saying that he contributed more than the Pony Express? Maybe your just kidding and I didn't pick up on it.

[This message has been edited by Texastang (edited 06-06-2001).]
Texastang
Scout Team

Postby PK » Wed Jun 06, 2001 4:39 pm

I have to agree with D. We don't need a bunch of statues all over the place. There was only one Doak Walker, and as great as many of the other players since have been, I do not think they are or were of the same historical significance as Doak was to SMU football. There are other more fitting ways to acknowledge their contributions.
SMU's first president, Robert S. Hyer, selected Harvard Crimson and Yale Blue as SMU's colors to symbolize SMU's high academic standards. We are one of the few Universities to have school colors with real meaning...and we just blow them off.
PK
PonyFans.com Super Legend

Postby D » Thu Jun 07, 2001 1:59 pm

I was being sarcastic. Just supporting my McElvaney hallmate.
D
Varsity

Postby Guest » Thu Jun 07, 2001 3:17 pm

Texastang..you are as dumb as you look.

Postby Texastang » Thu Jun 07, 2001 4:20 pm

Swami,
Easy Tiger, that was a little over the edge. You act as if no one has ever said anything on this site that made no sense at all. You do know that we got lots to do this weekend! Anyway I'll be waiting for your apology.
Texastang
Scout Team

Postby Guest » Thu Jun 07, 2001 4:37 pm

Texastang

I was just messin with you. Let me know what's going on. I saw D-Blue last night, which, by the way, where were you? Anyway, we all got to get together this weekend. Holler at me.

Postby Texastang » Thu Jun 07, 2001 4:46 pm

Swami,
We have to have a little get together with all the boys for Stanglover. I can't believe he is actually going to do it. I'm so proud of him. Give me a call, and check your cell.
Texastang
Scout Team

Return to Football