PonyFans.comBoard IndexAround the HilltopFootballRecruitingBasketballOther Sports

How about Phoenix?

This is the forum for talk about SMU Football

Moderators: PonyPride, SmooPower

How about Phoenix?

Postby Guest » Tue Jun 05, 2001 1:23 pm

I know this is a football posting site but I could not think of a better way to get some info. As I have said I am moving and Phoenix is where I am going to bless with my presence. I have already found three former Mustangs in the Phoenix-Tucson area but I was wondering if any of you knew any more or if you know some good places to go while I am there. Don't worry, I will be keeping a close eye on the Mustangs and getting some inside scoop from the many players I still know. Swami, Texastang, and the ever so popular Weeble, you guys pick up the slack and make sure I know all of the scores. Any help on my new home will be greatly appreciated. Thankyou to all the Mustangs!

Re: How about Phoenix?

Postby Guest » Tue Jun 05, 2001 1:47 pm

Stanglover

Phoenix is known for one thing in the sports world...GOLF!! They have some of the best courses in the country. I know you don't like playing (driving the cart does not count). But when you get some free time you should try it. I think you and the Mrs. would have a good time. After all, it is a sport you can play your entire life. Just include a few cold ones and you'll see.

Postby jettison » Tue Jun 05, 2001 2:13 pm

"By the time I get to Phoenix..."

Well, can't say I ever ran into any Mustangs or anyone that ever heard of Highland Park during my 4 years in Aridzona. But I can tell you a little bit about what to do or not do while there...

1) Know that the sports bars are more crowded than any sports stadiums.. because Phoenix is half populated by surfer wannabes, and half populated by cheese steak eating/ yankee cap wearing new englanders. Sundays at McDuffy's in Tempe can be brutal.. don't bring your children.

2) Realize that a better chance at social success every weekend can be had by travelling outside the city limits to either the mountains, Mexico or the beach, all within 5 hours. Best time for Vegas? Leave about 9 p.m., get there at 2 a.m., save enough for breakfast and come home broke at 7 a.m. Just don't fall asleep at the wheel when crossing the Hoover Dam.

3) Sell your jacket.

4) Drink lots of water.

5) Know that gas is at least a quarter more a gallon than here.

6) Be careful.. sometimes old farts in golf carts DO have the right-of-way!

7) For eating (cheap)... the best pizza I've ever eaten - Gus's New York Style - SE corner Rural/University. And while you're there, pick up a gyro from Bojo's. A new one I've eaten once while revisiting, and really pleased - Oregano's. And try Casey Moore's Pub for your casual drinking pleasure - it's operated out of an old haunted house. All of these establishments are in Tempe - really the only place that keeps it real out there. Scottsdale, ok if you like overpriced art. Phoenix, after 5 it's like that Arby's commercial - 'where did everybody go?' The rest of the places are pretty much like Frisco.. a bunch of cappucino cowboys.

8) Whenever an Oregon team makes it to the Fiesta Bowl.. get the heck out of their way.

I hope that will assist you in your relocation stanglover. Sometimes I wonder why the heck i came back!? Oh, I think I remember, the chicken fried steak and the brunettes.
jettison
Junior Varsity

Postby Guest » Wed Jun 06, 2001 8:25 pm

Come on people, some more information would be nice. Thanks Jettison for the tips and to you Swami, well what can I say. Swami, call me, we have to get together this weekend for sure.

Postby DallasViper » Wed Jun 06, 2001 10:28 pm

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR><font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by stanglover:
<B>Come on people, some more information would be nice. Thanks Jettison for the tips and to you Swami, well what can I say. Swami, call me, we have to get together this weekend for sure.</B></font><HR></BLOCKQUOTE> Good luck stanglover. coach D.
DallasViper

Postby SMUPonyFan » Thu Jun 07, 2001 1:30 am

ok, here is my take. I have been to Phoenix, Scottsdale, Tempe, etc several times...all for vacation. The golf is AWESOME and so it the weather...only in Christmas time and spring break. Of course those are the only times I have been there.

I have gone to numerous fiesta bowls, which is awesome. If I was offered a job in the tri-city area I would probably take it because I really enjoy the cleanliness and infrastructure of the city.

I do not know my way around at all. The only street I know is Camelback road.

I cannot talk too much on the social/nightlife. I only experienced it through a resort.

That is all my info. Good luck.

By the way, if you don't mind me asking, what will you be doing there?

------------------
Go Red, Go Blue, Go Mustangs, S M U
Go Red, Go Blue, Go Mustangs, S M U
SMUPonyFan
Varsity

Postby jettison » Thu Jun 07, 2001 12:00 pm

I did forget to add one thing:

If you see Gilbert Ortega at one of his fine Indian Jewelry stores, tell him I sent you.. if he is not immediately aware of the Jettison alias, just refer to me as the former long haired freak that sang Neil Young's Heart of Gold (scratchy high and all) at his 1996 Thanksgiving karaoke party with Tanya Tucker and a bunch of Europeans.
That should definitely strike the chord of memory.

I wanna live, i wanna give...
jettison
Junior Varsity

Return to Football