PonyFans.comBoard IndexAround the HilltopFootballRecruitingBasketballOther Sports

Our Offense

This is the forum for talk about SMU Football

Moderators: PonyPride, SmooPower

Our Offense

Postby Ball Boy » Fri Jun 08, 2001 11:45 am

How many times are we going to have to watch the Mustangs get into the shotgun this year and run the counter to Briggs out of it? I think we ran that more than I can count last year. We also need to disguise our offense a little. Every time we put Michael Brown in the game, we run. You know nothing against Hampton, I love him, but Brown can catch too. We need to disguise our offense more, were too predictable.
All HAIL TEXASTANG
Ball Boy
Recruit

Re: Our Offense

Postby Guest » Fri Jun 08, 2001 12:03 pm

Ball Boy...You have just summed up what most already know. I could not agree with you more. We do have the most predictable offense in the WAC. I would like to think our guys could remember a thing or two, such as an audible. However the argument you get from the coaches is that we are going to be simple and execute it flawlessly. This may work against the Nevada's and Rice's, but good luck against NC State, UNC and TCU.

Postby Guest » Fri Jun 08, 2001 12:06 pm

Hey Stanglover...Thoughts?

Postby Big D » Sat Jun 09, 2001 12:15 am

Hello Ball Boy, whoever you are,
You can say all you want about Big John, but he is the man at Tight End. I like Michael Brown, and he is an excellent player. He looks great at fullback, and tight end. I'm not taking anything from him, but Hampton can get to the ball like no other. He may drop one now and then, but not very often. He is one of those to depend on, no matter what, on 3rd down. I know some have problems with an under classman excelling at a position held by someone older, but get over it, He's the one to make The play. This is strickly my opinion, however.
Big D
Scout Team

Postby Big Cat » Sat Jun 09, 2001 1:45 am

I could not agree with you more. Hampton is one of the most valuable players on the offense. He, Comet, Freeman, and Ford get my votes. They seem to be the guys that make things happen.
Big Cat
Scout Team

Postby Guest » Sat Jun 09, 2001 10:24 am

I agree with everything about Hampton but it seems to me that we dwell only on his catchiing abilities and they are good probably the best at his position on the team. He can catch all day and we can stroke him all night but he needs to improve on blocking. Unfortunately, to be successful we can not pass every down or throw it everytime to Hampton. We need a complete tightend who does it all well. The tightend is so important to a run play and if he will continue to develop that part of his game I think he could be something special. That is why we run with Brown because he is a better blocker and throw to Hampton.

Swami---Reply please.

Postby Ball Boy » Mon Jun 11, 2001 11:08 am

Dear Big D
I never said anything bad about Hampton. I said that he was a great player which he is. You can't say anything bad about the leading receiver on our football team. I would like to nickname him clutch. All, I am saying is that our offense is too predictable. And that Brown is a much better blocker.
All HAIL TEXASTANG
Ball Boy
Recruit

Postby Guest » Mon Jun 11, 2001 11:15 am

Hampton is a very good player, with the potential to be a "great" player. I know we throw that term around loosely, but I think he can reach it. In order to do that, he needs to be able to block for the run. I remember a few years ago when we had some success running the ball, the tight end was a major factor. If you can get good blocking on the outside, you open up the running game considerably. Along with good blocking from the tight end, we need a stud fullback.
And of course, the oline needs to hold their own. I would like to think Hamp could be the guy for this, but we will soon find out in about three months.

Postby Guest » Mon Jun 11, 2001 1:12 pm

Swami, if I don't see you this week before you leave, I guess I will see you in September. I'll be looking forward to it and I'll see if I can arrange a trip to the bars out there. Man, I wish I was having to look ahead to two-a-days. Wait a minute, maybe I don't. Yep, its official, I don't.

Postby Guest » Mon Jun 11, 2001 4:19 pm

Stanglover, thought you were not leaving until the 23-24, something like that. If that's the case, we can still take care of what we did not take care of on Saturday. If you are leaving earlier, I guess I won't see you until September. Don't worry, though, I'll be in touch and of course we can always keep in touch on this great site.

In your words : "Long Live The Fat Kids!"

Postby SMUPonyFan » Mon Jun 11, 2001 5:21 pm

I think that Hampton and Brown are both great TE's. And from what I saw and heard, Hrncir might be up there with them soon enough. I think Hampton is more of an offensive threat and Brown is more of a blocking threat, but the fact remains, Hampton is a great blocker and Brown can grab and run with the ball like the rest.

I think the debate begun here was more along the lines of what I am about to talk about, not "who is the better TE?"

We need to utilize ALL of our threats. I have said this over and over. What is mentioned above is correct, keep the D on their toes. We do not do that. We are SO predictable it is ridiculous.

We have Freeman, Comet, Cardwell, Ford, Hampton, Brown, Briggs, Pipkins, Kincade, McDearman, Hrncir, and we used to have Carter. I am sure I am also missing someone. How many of those 12 targets did we hit per game last year? Briggs, Hampton, Comet, and Ford--with a small touch to Cardwell and Freeman.

COACHES. USE ALL 12 OPTIONS. The defense will not be expecting 3-6 passes to be thrown per game to the Pipkins, Browns, McD's, etc. This helps out Hampton, Comet, etc because the pressure is eased off of them and the D does not know who to cover.

I don't know about you all but I think these coaches need to quit being so ****ing conservative and start putting up numbers. I would take a 50-30 point game any day than this 17-0 bull****. Hey at least people would come to our games for some action instead of 3 hour long games of screens to Comet and counters to Briggs.

WAKE UP OVER IN THE OFFICES THERE COACHES!

I want to start a chant. RUN AND SHOOT! RUN AND SHOOT! RUN AND SHOOT! RUN AND SHOOT! RUN AND SHOOT! RUN AND SHOOT! RUN AND SHOOT! RUN AND SHOOT! RUN AND SHOOT!

------------------
Go Red, Go Blue, Go Mustangs, S M U
SMUPonyFan
Varsity

Postby SMUPonyFan » Mon Jun 11, 2001 5:24 pm

oh by the way, if anyone wants to see Mr. John Hampton's blocking skills, just look at the picture at the top of this page. I am pretty sure that is him behind Freeman. NICE BLOCK #86!

RUN AND SHOOT! RUN AND SHOOT!

------------------
SMUPonyFan
Varsity

Postby Ball Boy » Tue Jun 12, 2001 11:16 am

SMU PonyFan
I am glad that you picked up on it. I couldn't agree more. Our offense has several threats, our problem is our coaches don't use all those threats. I hope that we would utilize those threats in the upcoming months.
All HAIL TEXASTANG
Ball Boy
Recruit

Postby Texastang » Tue Jun 12, 2001 12:29 pm

What you guys are saying holds a lot of weight, and I agree with what yall are saying. John will be a great asset to our offense, and to its success. I'm not real sure about the whole Run and Shoot things though! That idea makes me a little nervous. I'm not sure if we would be able to protect the passer well enough to pull it off. Not is not including Mac, I don't want to make his hit list!!! Not that I'm trying to talk trash, but the block at the top of the page with John, its a hold.

[This message has been edited by Texastang (edited 06-12-2001).]
Texastang
Scout Team

Postby Damon'sDaMan » Tue Jun 12, 2001 1:38 pm

Good eye, SMUPonyFan. Hamp gets lots of pub for his hands, 'cause he catches everything thrown near him (and a few that aren't thrown near him), but he's a very underrated blocker. The man has added a ton of strength since he's been here, and has worked hard as a blocker. Hamp's set for a huge year.
Damon'sDaMan
Junior Varsity

Next

Return to Football