PonyFans.comBoard IndexAround the HilltopFootballRecruitingBasketballOther Sports

impact freshman

This is the forum for talk about SMU Football

Moderators: PonyPride, SmooPower

impact freshman

Postby Guest » Mon Jun 11, 2001 5:53 pm

Thinking mostly of the dlineman Marcus Walker from Louisiana. If I remember correctly, he is 6'3 280 and was recruited by Arkansas and LSU. Anybody know if this guy the type of lineman we have lacked in recent years like it sounds? You would think a guy like this if legit could come in and make a dent in the WAC.

Re: impact freshman

Postby Recruiting Guru » Tue Jun 12, 2001 11:45 am

I have a friend who is a sports writer at a paper in Louisiana, not far from where Walker played in high school. He assures me that Walker is, in fact, a beast of a player. Very quick for his size, in the mold of players like Warren Sapp. Not that he IS Warren Sapp, but the same kind of player -- really strong and cat-quick.

For my money, the top impact players this year will be Cedric Vinson and Don Stansbury.
Recruiting Guru
Varsity

Postby SMUDallas » Wed Jun 13, 2001 11:48 am

I recently read a Louisiana Football Magazine that had Marcus Walker in a list of "overlooked players." It said he was big/fast/smart. This is a great catch for SMU and I Think he will be a star.
SMUDallas

Postby SMUguy » Fri Jun 15, 2001 2:28 pm

I read where Walker made some magazine/newspaper's first-team All-State team for his performance as a senior. Can't wait to see him play.
"It's 106 miles to Chicago, we've got a full tank of gas, half a pack of cigarettes, it's dark and we're wearing sunglasses."
"Hit it."
SMUguy
Heisman

Postby DallasDiehard » Fri Jun 15, 2001 2:58 pm

I'm more interested in that 300-pound o-lineman from Midland. Should be a beast, from what I hear.
Rise up, Mustang Nation!
Go SMU!
DallasDiehard
Heisman

Postby PonyTales » Sun Jun 17, 2001 4:38 pm

With all the talk about the kid who's committed for next year (Darrian Billups), there was a lot said about his brother being able to walk on here last year, or maybe the year before, and that was one reason DB committed. Any idea who his brother is? (There's nobody on the team with the last name Billups, as far as I know.)

Can anyone offer some insight?
PonyTales
Heisman

Return to Football