PonyFans.comBoard IndexAround the HilltopFootballRecruitingBasketballOther Sports

Predictions

This is the forum for talk about SMU Football

Moderators: PonyPride, SmooPower

Predictions

Postby SMUDallas » Wed Jun 13, 2001 11:50 am

I decided after reading some predictions on the board, I wanted to put my thoughts in...

La Tech...Tought call. I am a former Shreveport Resident, so I know how Tech can play in Shreveport. They usually bring fans and don't dissapoint. This year they are younger and not as good as in years past. I still see a Mustang Victory though with Briggs have a 80-95 yard game.
SMU-21
LaTech-17

TCU...Although many call for a wipeout, I do not see it that way. TCU milked Tomlinson all of last year and I think they will have troubles adjusting to life without LT.Remember, they lost more starters than they returned. I do not, however, see the Mustangs pulling this one out. It will be closer than most think though.
SMU-14
TCU-24

UNC... UNC is in hard to predict. They have some great talent but they have a very hard scheudule. They have to play Oklahoma, Texas, and Florida State in the first five games. It would be easy to spend less time preparing for SMU than for a Florida State or Texas. I see an Upset in the game. Although I am going out on a limb with this one, I see a Mustang win just because I think SMU will want it more...
SMU-28
UNC-21

NC State... NC State is good. There is no doubt. But they lost a lot of depth from last year at offense where they excelled. NC State will still win this one...
SMU-10
NC State-24

Hawaii... SMU wins this game. Hawaii does not have the defensive front to stop Briggs who, by now, will be having a breakout season. I think SMU wins big in this one...
SMU-27
Hawaii-14

SJS... San Jose St is a better team than SMU. They match defenses with us and with Whitaker at Tailback, they are in good hands. SMU loses this one because of little offense and Whitaker scores twice with another passing touchdown.
SMU-7
SJS-21

UTEP- Utep is great against the run ,which spells trouble for SMU. They have little experience at QB which helps SMU. Still, UTEP takes command and wins this one.
SMU-10
UTEP-17

Nevada- Plain and simple...SMU wins an easy and confident victory over NEVADA. As long as we prepare well and run the ball a lot, I see no trouble in scoring a season high.
SMU-31
Nevada-14

Fresno... SMU needs a big home win to boost confidence for the rest of the season. I really dont see it happening here though. Fresno St is possibly the WAC's best this year..
SMU-16
Fresno St-31

Tulsa... I think Tulsa will go 5-6. They were not good last year and their lack of experience will play less than last year but gets better. SMU wins and has a winning streak.
SMU-17
Tulsa-10

Rice... Rice defense will blow this one for the team and ponies win...
SMU-21
Rice-13

SMU goes 6-5

-Can't say who will be QB because I dont think anyone really knows.
-Briggs is huge for Ponies this year with 1100yd/10TD season.
-Viloria will be backbone of mustang D with DD Lee and James chipping in to make a bad [deleted] group of Linebackers.
-O_Line will be better than last year, but still will not be good enough to create enough time to consistently throw the ball. Passing game will be a lot better than last year, but will not be fantastic.
There it is. I could be totally and completely off, but oh well I tried my best....
SMUDallas

Re: Predictions

Postby SMUguy » Wed Jun 13, 2001 3:20 pm

LaTech - They can score, but can't stop anyone. I see Briggs pounding away for 60 or so yards, forcing LaTech defense to crowd the line. Cunningham will have a huge day in his return to the outside, and Freeman will catch one over the middle, then splits the D for an 80+ - yard touchdown.
SMU 34
LaTech 23

TCU - Little froggies have more talent, which will win out in the end. But they are scrambling for someone to run the ball now that LT is gone, and while Casey Printers has a lot of talent .... or at least potential .... they have no real weapons at receiver, now that Cedric James is gone. Little froggies' offensive line will be enough to open some holes, and their defense -- despite the loss of defensive linemen Aaron Schobel and Shawn Worthen to the NFL -- will be more than sufficient.
TCU 27
SMU 10

Carolina - Here's where I disagree with you, SMUDallas. QB Ronald Curry is lightning-quick and has a very strong, accurate arm. UNC running game is stronger than most folks believe, and their offensive line is underrated. Defense, led by DE Julius Peppers (who like Curry is expected to abandon his spot on the Heels' hoops team), is adequate. UNC can be accused of looking past Ponies, but this one will be lipsided.
UNC 31
SMU 13

NCState - W'Pack lost Koren Robinson to the Seahawks in the draft, so there's one less weapon in the passing game. No matter -- the QB (forget his name) with the worst mechanics since Bernie Kosar is among the most effective passers in the nation.
NCState 27
SMU 17

Hawaii - Briggs has a big game, and Luker will have his first 300-yard passing game of the season. SMU secondary will get a test, as UH's young QB (Chang?) has shown signs of major talent. But the Pony DB's pick off three, including one that Kevin Garrett returns for a score.
SMU 30
Hawaii 23

San Jose State - Shootout in San Jose. Massive Spartan offensive line opens huge holes for lightning-quick RB Deonce Whitaker during his Doak Walker Award campaign, giving Pony D fits. But Spartan D can't stop improving Pony offense. Ponies win on special teams.
SMU 24
SJSU 20

UTEP - Miners' offense lost starting QB, stud TE Brian Natkin and two of its top three receivers since last year. Ponies make up for recent skid against UTEP, with Briggs and Keylon Kincade offering effective one-two punch.
SMU 17
UTEP 13

Nevada - Nevada was awful last year and will be awful again this year. Home field won't help.
SMU 29
Nevada 10

Fresno - Bulldogs are strong, but graduation (OK, expiration of eligibility) for several defensive starters will hurt. Ponies hang tough, but come up short.
Fresno State 26
SMU 17

Tulsa - The one team that SMU seems to own. Much-ballyhooed QB Josh Blankenship is not the savior he was supposed to be when he signed with the Golden Hurricane -- decent, but nothing great. SMU coaches feel extra incentive in preparation, as TU has claimed several SMU-targeted recruits in recent years. SMU in a walkover.
SMU 30
Tulsa 9

Rice - Seems every other year, defensive coordinator Eric Schumann puts together a defensive gameplan that allows the Ponies to effectively shut down the Owls' triple option offense. This game, more than any other on the schedule, will show why Cavan made a great move by putting D.D. Lee in at middle linebacker and allowing Vic Viloria and Jarrian James to utilize their speed on the outside. Pony LB's steer Owl RB's toward sideline, forcing Rice to rely on ridiculous passing game.
SMU 27
Rice 13

Weird: that adds up to a record of 7-4. Don't think we're quite THAT good, but that's the way I see each game.
Offensive MVP: RB Kris Briggs
Defensive co-MVPs: LB Vic Viloria and CB Kevin Garrett
Impact freshman: DT Marcus Walker
Unsung hero: LB Devonric Johnson
"It's 106 miles to Chicago, we've got a full tank of gas, half a pack of cigarettes, it's dark and we're wearing sunglasses."
"Hit it."
SMUguy
Heisman

Postby TUpei » Thu Jun 14, 2001 6:48 am

Tulsa 27 SMU 14

Sorry, no cakewalk.

I look for Rice to be the surprise team of the WAC this year. SMU will not surprise anyone.
I hope you beat Carolina.
Go luck you crazy Methodists.
TUpei

Postby Dwayne From Minden » Thu Jun 14, 2001 5:37 pm

TECH wins going away...

The core of the team is still young, but not as young as last year when they experienced a heartbreaking loss to UCF and two close losses at Miami and Auburn - which were both ranked teams.

TECH's offense will be better this year because of Joe Smith and young Luke just might be better than Rattay.

Plus we will have 7 on the DL that weigh over 300+, where last year we had zilch.

We will be much improved - I think we will be 6-5

------------------
Go Tech and Go Dawgs!
Go Tech and Go Dawgs!
Dwayne From Minden

Postby SMUguy » Fri Jun 15, 2001 2:43 pm

Let me amend my earlier prediction, although not in a good way.

Kansas State: Offensive line is too big and strong, defensive line is too big. Rest of defense is too fast, and offense contines to score, despite loss of sereral to the NFL.
K-State 37
SMU 14
"It's 106 miles to Chicago, we've got a full tank of gas, half a pack of cigarettes, it's dark and we're wearing sunglasses."
"Hit it."
SMUguy
Heisman

Postby smu'06 » Fri Jun 15, 2001 11:32 pm

IF WE FINISH ABOVE .500, but don't win out the WAC, What are the odds of a bowl bid?
University of South Carolina Student and Fan
SMU Fan and possible Law Student
smu'06
Junior Varsity

Postby ponytalk » Sat Jun 16, 2001 12:42 am

Here is my guess. I don't want to offend or [deleted] anyone off, but I am a realist. I also was shunned last year for my prediction of a 7-8 victory season. I also strongly believe that Cavan's 6-5-4-3 winning records are a countdown to unemployment. That leaves us to win 2 games this year, but here we go...

K-State 42
SMU 10
Read my other post on this game, there is enough analysis there.

La. Tech 24
SMU 14
Confidence is low and we are beat up after a brutal K-State game.

TCU 31
SMU 21
We show good signs of fight but our defense is worn down after playing 70% of two previous games.

UNC 21
SMU 7
Loosing streak taking a toll on SMU mentally and physically. Tough road game.

NC State 53
SMU 13
A whole bunch of field goals give us some points but a lack of fan support and horrific loosing streak allow NC State--an awesome offensive team--to run all over Ford. Keep in mind our defense is tired and weary.

Hawaii 13
SMU 10
A bye week give SMU some life but Hawaii and June Jones seem to just have our number.

SJSU 24
SMU 20
We finally get the offense going and try to put up some numbers because the coaches stop running Briggs every down. Luker or Page gets to show off his arm to his many targets(yeah right).

UTEP 17
SMU 10
UTEP is a stronger team than us and has hit us hard the past two years. Not this time and the Ponies confidence is at an all time low. But look on the bright side, maybe more steroid usage for UTEP will cause them to forfeit the game or field a poor team.

SMU 42
Nevada 21
SMU manhandles Nevada and breaks an 8 game losing streak on the road and that is all.

Fresno 13
SMU 10
Poor play calling send SMU bad to the losing side. But I think this will be a close game and SMU might even upset Fresno.

SMU 14
Tulsa 10
We have their number and we have some confidence. We take Tulsa. But we cannot look over them. People tell me they will field a solid team and they will compete.

Rice - SMU
This one is a tie. It will go either way. Has become one of the most unpredictable games ever. I am convinced last years game was a dramatic reenactment of Nebraska versus Joe Blow. We were horrible that game.

So that brings the tally to SMU winning 2 maybe three games. I think SJSU, Fresno, and Rice could all go either way.

Hey, last year I predicted 7-8 and we got three. This year I am predicting 2-3 and maybe we will get 7-8(ummm, Image, never mind).
ponytalk
Varsity

Postby Purple Haze » Sat Jun 16, 2001 2:28 pm

Kansas State 52

SMU 10

Sorry, the Wildcats are pretty good, especially at home.
Purple Haze

Postby ashppurplehalfcat » Sat Jun 16, 2001 2:33 pm

KSU 63
SMU 10

Realty Bites!
EMAW!
ashppurplehalfcat

Return to Football