PonyFans.comBoard IndexAround the HilltopFootballRecruitingBasketballOther Sports

OK, what's the scoop on SMU v KSU?

This is the forum for talk about SMU Football

Moderators: PonyPride, SmooPower

OK, what's the scoop on SMU v KSU?

Postby windjam » Thu Jun 14, 2001 7:47 am

Rumors, comments, obscene remarks?
These two guys walk into a bar, I don't know why the second one didn't duck
windjam

Re: OK, what's the scoop on SMU v KSU?

Postby Texastang » Thu Jun 14, 2001 10:01 am

Haven't heard a thing! I think we have enough on our plate for right now.
Texastang
Scout Team

Postby NavyCrimson » Thu Jun 14, 2001 12:22 pm

rumor: on the c-usa board its down to usc & tulane - that ksu backed out.....no telling but eventually we'll find out...what probably did happen was (like top frog said on the other board) was someone or somebody inverted the letters 'usm' to 'smu' and then ...well u know the rest >>>> the snowball started rolling from there......oh well...

time to move on with another topic & leave this as only rumor until something happens ...its not worth the brain cells to talk about it @ this point.

[This message has been edited by Navy&Crimson (edited 06-14-2001).]
BRING BACK THE GLORY DAYS OF SMU FOOTBALL!!!

For some strange reason, one of the few universities that REFUSE to use their school colors: Harvard Crimson & Yale Blue.
NavyCrimson
PonyFans.com Legend

Location: Simi Valley-CA (Hm of the Ronald Reagan Presidential Library)

Postby PK » Thu Jun 14, 2001 2:34 pm

Hey Navy&Crimson, since I can't access the other board any more ... what was the rumor? I feel left out of the loop here.
SMU's first president, Robert S. Hyer, selected Harvard Crimson and Yale Blue as SMU's colors to symbolize SMU's high academic standards. We are one of the few Universities to have school colors with real meaning...and we just blow them off.
PK
PonyFans.com Super Legend

Postby NavyCrimson » Thu Jun 14, 2001 6:03 pm

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR><font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by PK:
<B>Hey Navy&Crimson, since I can't access the other board any more ... what was the rumor? I feel left out of the loop here.</B></font><HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

here it is my friend ...

<A HREF="http://www.mustangmaniacs.com/forum/" TARGET=_blank>http://www.mustangmaniacs.com/forum/</A>

For some strange reason, one of the few universities that REFUSE to use their school colors: Harvard Crimson & Yale Blue.
NavyCrimson
PonyFans.com Legend

Postby PK » Thu Jun 14, 2001 6:49 pm

As I said N&C, I can't access that board anymore ... our corp. firewall won't let me go there. It seems that the group they use for their forum message board (Hotboards) also handles some other message boards that contain strictly adult material. If there is another source for the rumor, I would be interested in at least knowing what we are talking about here. Thanks.

[This message has been edited by PK (edited 06-14-2001).]
SMU's first president, Robert S. Hyer, selected Harvard Crimson and Yale Blue as SMU's colors to symbolize SMU's high academic standards. We are one of the few Universities to have school colors with real meaning...and we just blow them off.
PK

Postby D » Thu Jun 14, 2001 7:23 pm

Rumor was SMU is to play K-State in the Black Coaches Association kickoff game. Rumored to be a nationally televised game in Manhatten, KS. Supposedly, a good pay check involved but no future committment from K-State. Don't know what the latest is...I stopped reading all the noise and will go back later when its all figured out.
D
Varsity

Postby PK » Thu Jun 14, 2001 8:17 pm

Thanks D. Now the comments make sense.
PK

Postby NavyCrimson » Thu Jun 14, 2001 9:06 pm

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR><font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by PK:
<B>As I said N&C, I can't access that board anymore ... our corp. firewall won't let me go there. It seems that the group they use for their forum message board (Hotboards) also handles some other message boards that contain strictly adult material. If there is another source for the rumor, I would be interested in at least knowing what we are talking about here. Thanks.

[This message has been edited by PK (edited 06-14-2001).]</B></font><HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

sorry - was in a hurry.

NavyCrimson
PonyFans.com Legend

Postby PK » Thu Jun 14, 2001 9:19 pm

No problem N&C. Thanks for the effort all the same.
PK

Postby PK » Fri Jun 15, 2001 11:48 am

It would appear to be more than a rumor...there is an article in todays DMN Sport section quoting Copeland in which he states that there are negotiations going on with SMU about playing KSU August 25th (I think), but that nothing is final. KSU is not interested in playing U.So.Miss.
PK

Postby ponystudent » Fri Jun 15, 2001 12:21 pm

A reliable source tells me the game is on. The details are not down but the game is on. They also said it will be on national TV!

This could be a great chance for SMU to shine on National TV!

------------------
Go Ponies!
Go Ponies!
ponystudent
Junior Varsity

Postby SMUstang » Fri Jun 15, 2001 2:02 pm

I assume that playing a game on August 25 would entitle us to start fall practice a week earlier than normal to get ready. Does anybody have the facts on this?

We have a tough schedule in September. One week up on everybody would sure help. Assuming we didn't get any injuries.
SMUstang
Heisman

Postby Hilltopper » Fri Jun 15, 2001 2:25 pm

I think this is a dangerous, but potentially great thing for SMU. If we can hang with them for 2 or 3 quarters, we look great on TV and when coaches talk to recruits. But if we get drilled by 70, we will get ridiculed on national TV.

Who does K-State play the week after they play us, in the game that was supposed to be their opener? Hopefully the 'Cats will be looking past us to another opponent. But their coach, Bill Snyder, has never been afraid to run up his team's stats by pounding teams that don't match up well. I think they've broken 70 at least once in each of the last few years. Hopefully we can hang with them, getting an early jump on recruiting.
Hilltopper
All-American

Postby Ball Boy » Fri Jun 15, 2001 3:14 pm

Bad move for the ponies. We have limited depth this year in several positions. Yes it would give SMU some national exposure, but risking injury for national exposure is not a good idea. The way that our schedule is setup is perfect for a run. All of the hard games in the WAC are played at home, which if we get some of the students out to the game it could make a big difference. I say no to the KSU game.
All HAIL TEXASTANG
Ball Boy
Recruit

Next

Return to Football