PonyFans.comBoard IndexAround the HilltopFootballRecruitingBasketballOther Sports

OK, what's the scoop on SMU v KSU?

This is the forum for talk about SMU Football

Moderators: PonyPride, SmooPower

Re: OK, what's the scoop on SMU v KSU?

Postby PK » Fri Jun 15, 2001 4:11 pm

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR><font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Ball Boy:
<B>Bad move for the ponies. We have limited depth this year in several positions. Yes it would give SMU some national exposure, but risking injury for national exposure is not a good idea. The way that our schedule is setup is perfect for a run. All of the hard games in the WAC are played at home, which if we get some of the students out to the game it could make a big difference. I say no to the KSU game.</B></font><HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I don't think it is up for a vote Ball Boy, but we are taking a chance. Actually it is more than national exposure...it has got to mean some cash for our Athletic coffers and we can use that. Maybe, just maybe, we could sneak up on K-State and do to them what we use to do to A&M...scare the bejesus out of them.

Go Ponies!!!!! Let's play some FOOTBALL!!!!

[This message has been edited by PK (edited 06-15-2001).]
SMU's first president, Robert S. Hyer, selected Harvard Crimson and Yale Blue as SMU's colors to symbolize SMU's high academic standards. We are one of the few Universities to have school colors with real meaning...and we just blow them off.
PK
PonyFans.com Super Legend

Postby Texastang » Fri Jun 15, 2001 4:52 pm

PK, I see your point, and I would love to see that happen! But you have to remember that when SMU was having success against a solid A&M team, they had Flanigan, Kidd, Swann, Thornal, Womack, Bordano, Big Chill, Wilber Micthell, and the list goes on. Come to think about it, if we would of had these guys in the WAC today, there would be a Championship under the Mustangs belt. Sorry, I got off on a huge tangent. But we don't, so I'll be quiet about that. I just don't think we have the size, speed, and strength to hang. It's too big a gamble.

[This message has been edited by Texastang (edited 06-15-2001).]
Texastang
Scout Team

Postby jettison » Fri Jun 15, 2001 5:00 pm

Wouldn't SMU have to drop a game from their current schedule to avoid playing 12, if this KSU thing did develop? I thought that scenario was not allowed unless you played IN Hawaii during the season? Shoot, I say go for it.. we'll see if it helped La Tech play all those games last year against some of the real deals.

One good thing about it.. if Lee Corso was to attend the ESPN broadcast and offered a prediction for KSU to win, that would be a good sign, because he seems to be wrong more than right. Any thoughts Corso?
jettison
Junior Varsity

Postby NavyCrimson » Fri Jun 15, 2001 6:17 pm

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR><font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by PK:
<B> I don't think it is up for a vote Ball Boy, but we are taking a chance. Actually it is more than national exposure...it has got to mean some cash for our Athletic coffers and we can use that. Maybe, just maybe, we could sneak up on K-State and do to them what we use to do to A&M...scare the bejesus out of them.

Go Ponies!!!!! Let's play some FOOTBALL!!!!

[This message has been edited by PK (edited 06-15-2001).]</B></font><HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

i couldn't agree more - PK ... its now or never!!!
BRING BACK THE GLORY DAYS OF SMU FOOTBALL!!!

For some strange reason, one of the few universities that REFUSE to use their school colors: Harvard Crimson & Yale Blue.
NavyCrimson
PonyFans.com Legend

Location: Simi Valley-CA (Hm of the Ronald Reagan Presidential Library)

Postby PK » Fri Jun 15, 2001 6:26 pm

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR><font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Texastang:
<B>I just don't think we have the size, speed, and strength to hang. It's too big a gamble.</B></font><HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I can't disagree with you on most of your points Texastang (those were all great players), but what have we got to lose? If we lose the game by a blowout no one will be suprised and we still get the cash. If we lose by a narrow margin or (not very likely) win, it would be a hell of a deal. We still get our name out there and show potential recruits the possibility of our occasionally playing some "big time" opponents.

One other thing, I use to play table tennis (ping pong as we called it) and I always challenged the best players I could find because that's how to get better. You play the best in order to learn how to play better (I got to be pretty damn good too). So go get 'em Ponies!!!!

[This message has been edited by PK (edited 06-15-2001).]

[This message has been edited by PK (edited 06-17-2001).]
SMU's first president, Robert S. Hyer, selected Harvard Crimson and Yale Blue as SMU's colors to symbolize SMU's high academic standards. We are one of the few Universities to have school colors with real meaning...and we just blow them off.
PK
PonyFans.com Super Legend

Postby Big D » Fri Jun 15, 2001 8:28 pm

I agree, let's play Football! If we get people hurt, that's a chance you take playing either of the N.Carolina games, or TCU. This is the best thing that could happen to these kids and coaches. Can you imagine how intense the practices are going to be getting ready for this game? Yeah, I know how you Big Timers used to play the best of the best, but not in recent years. So this is a good chance to play a Top 10 team, with all the wrong things in place at SMU. This will be this bunch's Bowl Game, if we don't qualify for one on our own. So let them have at it, And I, personally don't think this bunch will lose by 70, as so many seem to believe. It may be rose colored glasses, but we don't have a single thing to lose with this game. Most don't have confidence anymore , but a lot of these kids do, so let's let them find out the hard way, instead of having them killed before they ever play the game!!
Big D
Scout Team

Postby smu'06 » Fri Jun 15, 2001 9:31 pm

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR><font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by jettison:
<B>Wouldn't SMU have to drop a game from their current schedule to avoid playing 12, if this KSU thing did develop? I thought that scenario was not allowed unless you played IN Hawaii during the season? Shoot, I say go for it.. we'll see if it helped La Tech play all those games last year against some of the real deals.
</B></font><HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

SMU will not need to drop a game from their schedule. This event is a NCAA Exempt event, under NCAA Football Bylaws, D-1a football programs are allowed to play one 12th game in the form of an exempt "classic" per every four years. Other exempt events include the Hispanic College Fund Football Classic which is also that Saturday at 7:30 which pairs Oklahoma vs. UNC, Sunday has Colorado and Fresno also on ESPN in the Jim Thorpe Classic.

The game would be a huge plus for SMU. If SMU could hang at halftime-third quarter, props will be given, remember the mustang lore about a game in the 1960's vs. Michigan, and what happened when a sub par Mustang team almost beat power house Michigan in their own house- Ford named some car after them.
University of South Carolina Student and Fan
SMU Fan and possible Law Student
smu'06
Junior Varsity

Postby jettison » Sat Jun 16, 2001 12:23 am

Thanks for the rules clarification, smu '06.

And right on Big D!

And PK, table tennis?
jettison
Junior Varsity

Postby HeismanCat » Sat Jun 16, 2001 11:07 am

Kansas State is currently scheduled to play the University of Southern Cal. for our home opener. Bill Snyder is always pretty good at getting his players focused on a single game, but the trip to USC the week after playing SMU could be a little distracting.

As for the score in a game like this...I don't think it would be a blow out. I haven't seen SMU play in a while, but it sounds like you have a pretty decent team down there. KSU will have a good team next year, but you never know what will happen when you send a new quarterback into his first game at the D1 level.

I hope to see both KSU and SMU at Wagner field for the BCA game, and wish you the best.
HeismanCat

Postby SMUPonyFan » Sat Jun 16, 2001 2:24 pm

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR><font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by HeismanCat:
<B>Kansas State is currently scheduled to play the University of Southern Cal. for our home opener. Bill Snyder is always pretty good at getting his players focused on a single game, but the trip to USC the week after playing SMU could be a little distracting.

I hope to see both KSU and SMU at Wagner field for the BCA game, and wish you the best.</B></font><HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

First off, maybe you all playing USC will help us. Hopefully you all will concentrate on them and forget about us a little and KSU will come in overconfident.

As for seeing us at the game, don't look too hard, outside of a loyal 500-1000 fans, SMU's fan support is nothing more than pathetic. I don't even want to get into that.

------------------
Go Red, Go Blue, Go Mustangs, S M U
Go Red, Go Blue, Go Mustangs, S M U
SMUPonyFan
Varsity

Postby Purple Haze » Sat Jun 16, 2001 2:25 pm

This may not be entirely correct, but I believe your payoff will be $600,000 plus a certain (10?) percent of the gate receipts which may include ticket sales and concessions. Nice little payday.

Best of luck to you. I would like to know more about the style of offense SMU runs. Ideally, you will run a primarily passing attack. If so, and no offense intended, I hope your QB doesn't get hurt physically or mentally (int's).

Anyway, we are really looking forward to playing the mustangs. Take care.
Purple Haze

Postby CatClaws » Sat Jun 16, 2001 3:47 pm

Hi Ponies.
I think the Mustangs will hang in the game for at least most of the first half. K-State is known for starting slow. Although our offense returns several starters, our defense returns only 3 plus our punter who takes much too long to get the ball away.
As you probably have read by now, whoever the 'Cats start at QB, it will be his first start.
What was previously scheduled as our opening game is at the LA Coliseum versus U of Southern Calif., but it is on <B>Sept. 8, two weeks after the BCA game.</B> Coach Snyder will be preparing for the Mustangs and the Trojans prior to the BCA game, but the Mustangs will get their share of attention.
K-State will not take advantage of all of the NCAA allowed practice sessions. They did last year in preparation for the Eddie Robinson Classic against Iowa, and Snyder determined that it was too [deleted] the players and also made the season too long.
By the way, the football media gurus thought our 20-point victory over Iowa showed that K-State was down and would not fare well the rest of the season.
In regard to the score, bear in mind that Florida State did not score an offensive point against Oklahoma in the National Championship game, and K-State scored 55 points against Oklahoma last season (2 games).
Last season's team got over 500 yards against Tennessee, reputed to have the best defense in the SEC, in the Cotton Bowl.
Again, these games were at the other end of the season, and K-State does start slow.

Good luck to the Mustangs. If any of you do make to the game (I hope it is for real) I hope you enjoy your visit to Manhattan.

------------------
<B>Enjoy Life! Do the best with what you have.</B>
<B>Enjoy Life! Do the best with what you have.</B>
CatClaws

Postby Guest » Sun Jun 17, 2001 1:12 pm

I am really pumped about the K-state game. Do I think we will win, nope. Do I think it will be close, nope. Could I end up being horribly wrong and SMU you play really well and maybe win, absolutely. I think this is the complete David and Goliath story but I don't know how the results will be. Who cares. This is exactly what we need. I have been reading all the posts from some the K-state fans and some of the comments are a little cocky. Let us not forget who is still considered to at one time be the worst program in college football history. But what did they do, they got a good coach and played against the big teams and gained the money and experince to recruit and get better. Now look at them, they are a top notch quality program and deserve their praise. If SMU could now go out and get a better coach and keep playing games like this, well who knows what could happen. God knows we need the money to help out. No matter the outcome, I am really looking forward to this one and I hope I can be even more excited after the game.

Postby Impartial Observer » Sun Jun 17, 2001 2:09 pm

I'm reading this discussion with interest and had to add something.

If Bill Snyder were coaching SMU today he would not play this game with Kansas State. That's not how he built the KSU program. He played teams that were guaranteed victories and used those games as scrimmages to develope his players.

According to the Snyder blueprint, SMU should not touch this game with a 10 foot pole.
Impartial Observer

Postby RedRiverPony » Sun Jun 17, 2001 4:34 pm

Sure hope Purple Haze is right -- $600,000 payout, PLUS 10% of the gate? That would go a long, long way toward solving financial issues in our athletic department.
RedRiverPony
All-American

PreviousNext

Return to Football