PonyFans.comBoard IndexAround the HilltopFootballRecruitingBasketballOther Sports

Daily Campus Article

This is the forum for talk about SMU Football

Moderators: PonyPride, SmooPower

Daily Campus Article

Postby Ball Boy » Thu Jun 14, 2001 12:12 pm

I know this is a football board, but it has the most followers. I think it would be a good idea.SMU needs college baseball

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Joseph Medlin
Sports Editor

For those who distance themselves from watching television in the early evening, last Friday they missed one of the greatest events in sports--The College World Series.

The College World Series is a time-honored tradition. For many years, college athletes from across the country have tried to extend their season in a little town in the Midwest: Omaha, Neb. It's one of the few events in sports that you can watch and know that you're watching quality sports.

I think the College World Series is the only honest baseball left in America. The professionals are too caught up in the money. The Texas Rangers are a prime example. Their faithful owner, Tom Hicks, whom I respect because of what he did with the Stars, and his trusty sidekick Doug Melvin, decided that they wanted to go out and get a lot of offense. Somebody down at the command station forgot about pitching. This is the exact reason why I don't feel sorry for those guys. They have to take what is coming to them, a season where they finish 30 games out of first.

The College World Series captures the sport at its best. There's nothing better than looking into the dugout and seeing the players all standing and getting into the game. It's much better than watching the professionals sit in the dugout and munch on sunflower seeds.

For example, in the Stanford and Tulane game, all the Tulane players were caught on camera rubbing the backs of their heads or the bill of their hats with two fingers. That, ladies and gentlemen, is superstition, and it defines the game of baseball. You can only find it little league, high school and college. The professionals just don't show it anymore. Baseball, according to Mike Brown, is the most superstitious sport in the world.

This brings me to my main point: SMU should re-instate its baseball program. It's really a shame that the university lacks in that area of sports. Of course, everyone knows SMU has the money. I stand now to encourage those who participate in baseball in intramurals to come together and make it a club sport and move it on up the ladder to a varsity sport. I mean, look at all of the players in Texas that SMU could bring in, let alone the Dallas area. Please take action and bring back to this campus the one thing it is missing.

And to the young men who are leaving everything on the line in Omaha this week, best of luck in conquering your dreams. To a fellow alumnus from Mater Dei High School, best of luck, Brett, and lead the Titans to victory.
All HAIL TEXASTANG
Ball Boy
Recruit

Return to Football