PonyFans.comBoard IndexAround the HilltopFootballRecruitingBasketballOther Sports

Anyone Excited About the Football Season?

This is the forum for talk about SMU Football

Moderators: PonyPride, SmooPower

Re: Anyone Excited About the Football Season?

Postby Stallion » Mon Apr 07, 2014 7:06 pm

Jason pretends that he can watch flag football and project sleeper recruits into what he calls "quality depth". He gets the roster out and puts below average recruits into a Depth Chart 3 deep and then pronounces "quality depth". Gamblers would go broke with his viewpoint. Until a recruit proves himself as a quality college player on the college level they are properly considered question-marks

QB: below average-no proven experience- no legitimate depth-the position is potentially a disaster
RB: below average-they were simply awful last year-same guys plus untested freshman-I may reconsider when and if Pope is eligible but personally I don't think he meets the standard of the NCAA rule without fudging the truth-at least as far as I can tell based upon reports during freshman year
OL: average-again the running game sucked last year and our QBs were sitting ducks all year-they were not good last year and the quality of the backups to me are disturbingly poor. OLine is one position that you can really develop in the weightroom-they better
WR: below average-they were above average last year but those guys plus the best prospect are gone
DL: average because of experience-no game changers though
CB: below average-no proven players that can dispute this. Only decent CB graduated-same guys. all of whom have performed poorly on the field
LB: below average
S: average-they were well below average last year. Randolph has never shown a thing at the college level. I like Greenbauer as a smart kid with surprisingly good not great athleticism

Other than perhaps Sanders I see ZERO players who you can legitimately project to the next level as a decent NFL prospect or even a quality free agent.
"With a quarter of a tank of gas, we can get everything we need right here in DFW." -SMU Head Coach Chad Morris

When momentum starts rolling downhill in recruiting-WATCH OUT.
Stallion
PonyFans.com Super Legend

Postby East Coast Mustang » Mon Apr 07, 2014 7:19 pm

Stallion wrote:Other than perhaps Sanders I see ZERO players who you can legitimately project to the next level as a decent NFL prospect or even a quality free agent.

Lasecki? Or are you just talking about rising seniors?
2005 PonyFans.com Rookie of the Year Award Recipient
East Coast Mustang

Postby birddogger » Tue Apr 08, 2014 12:24 pm

My expectations are so low that it's difficult for me to be excited about the upcoming season. Nevertheless I will dutifully follow the Ponies and cheer them on. After all, who knows? One upset could propel us to a successful and fun season of football. I do anticipate that more alcohol will be needed during the course of this season and I dread the onslaught of repetitive negative posts about indifference, lack of recruiting effort, talent, etc. that would necessarily follow each loss.

Go Ponies!
birddogger
All-American

Postby StallionsModelT » Tue Apr 08, 2014 12:55 pm

We've got a couple kids that have a shot at the next level. Sanders, Yenga, Lasecki, and (maybe) Darius Joseph.
Back off Warchild seriously.
StallionsModelT

Postby gostangs » Tue Apr 08, 2014 7:32 pm

DJ is a nice receiver, but just because he is our "go to" guy does not mean he is pro material. He is not.

I actually dread next season. Lame duck coach who will know he is for sure gone by game 5, and was comatose when he was excited. i don't think we beat UNT much less TCU, A&M or Baylor. might beat Memphis and UConn, and maybe a couple of others. 4 wins max.

I hope Rick is on this already (and i assume he is) - since this one move will make or break his career. Nail it and he is gone to a P-5 in three years with relative youth (or better yet he stays and takes us there and we name an indoor practice facility for him complete with statue). Miss it, and he may be in mid major or less for the rest of his life.

Rick should look for the following in this order:

1)Enthusiasm and work ethic - Crazed possessed coach. Hopefully no family or friends to distract him
2)Recruiting contacts and network - in Texas and surrounding states
3)Determination - he will get negativity and rejection at every turn. Must be a total block head to let it roll off him 50 times a day.
4) Assistant coaches who know what they are doing and know how to recruit - Bennett could have worked for us except he had a very poor bench (probably due to what they all got paid). If our guy is smart he will give up 500k of his own salary to spread amongst 5 key assistants, 3 of which are rock star recruiters
5) burning desire to improve the program, the entire university , and make his show the best available program in North Tx - without exception. (see Larry Brown)

If that all comes in a young package or an old package it doesn't really matter. Just has to all be there. Probably needs to be an up and comer. Just smart enough to succeed and just dumb enough to think he can fix us.
gostangs

Postby PonySnob » Tue Apr 08, 2014 9:46 pm

It'll be interesting to see how Rick pays for a new coach.............the CoC model might not be available and the department certainly doesn't have $2 million/year for a head coach.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Peruna is my mascot!
PonySnob

Postby SMU2007 » Tue Apr 08, 2014 10:36 pm

This year will be a waste of everyone's time, firmly planted in mediocrity without anything to build on for the future. Let me know when this staff is gone and we can go back to rebuilding mode.
SMU2007

Postby Pony4Life » Tue Apr 08, 2014 11:41 pm

Watch the team play, and it's clear there is more than one pro prospect in there. Who knows how many will make it. There's no slam dunk prospect, no Eric Dickerson. But stop relying on people's rankings and watch them play. Cole Beasley and Richard Crawford weren't thought to be prospects, either. Oops.
Fountain of youth
Giver of truth
Six parts gin
One part vermouth
Pony4Life
Heisman

Postby Big12Mustang » Wed Apr 09, 2014 12:29 am

PonySnob wrote:It'll be interesting to see how Rick pays for a new coach.............the CoC model might not be available and the department certainly doesn't have $2 million/year for a head coach.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Take it out of our general fund, endowment, or unbridled campaign. A top notch football program helps the university a lot and renovating our athletic facilities is a much higher priority than renovating fondren...
Big12Mustang
Hall of Famer

Previous

Return to Football