PonyFans.comBoard IndexAround the HilltopFootballRecruitingBasketballOther Sports

Anyone Excited About the Football Season?

This is the forum for talk about SMU Football

Moderators: PonyPride, SmooPower

Re: Anyone Excited About the Football Season?

Postby Casey » Mon Apr 07, 2014 12:30 am

Of course I'm excited about football season. I'm always excited about SMU football. The year after we went 0-12, I was excited about SMU football (and for those with short memories, those teams made the current incarnation look like the Seahawks).
Once a Mustang, ALWAYS a Mustang!
Casey
All-American

Postby Arkpony » Mon Apr 07, 2014 10:32 am

We win, maybe, 4 games.
Long live Inez Perez!
Arkpony
PonyFans.com Super Legend

Postby PonySnob » Mon Apr 07, 2014 10:36 am

Arkpony wrote:We win, maybe, 4 games.

This
Peruna is my mascot!
PonySnob

Postby Stallion » Mon Apr 07, 2014 10:40 am

This thread-this football forum- is just so pathetic right now. Its pretty clear nobody has the slightest bit of interest in SMU Football right now based on the dearth of SMU Football posts on this board. We just had a Spring Football Parade-nobody went- nobody cares- nobody posts a damn thing. We are smack dang in the middle of the most important recruiting time period of the year and there is very little reason for optimism other than a couple of recruits. The June Jones Era is circling the drain and we are going to have to wait until he is put out of his misery to have any measureable interest in the program. The Season Ticket numbers are going to be a blood-bath for SMU. The talent level is dwindling. The program is Stair-Steppin' Down
"With a quarter of a tank of gas, we can get everything we need right here in DFW." -SMU Head Coach Chad Morris

When momentum starts rolling downhill in recruiting-WATCH OUT.
Stallion

Postby StallionsModelT » Mon Apr 07, 2014 10:48 am

meh. I can take a year off from football. Until Jones is gone who cares?
Back off Warchild seriously.
StallionsModelT

Postby ponyboy » Mon Apr 07, 2014 11:20 am

SMU fans care. This ain't no conditional relationship, pal.
ponyboy

Postby Big12Mustang » Mon Apr 07, 2014 11:33 am

ponyboy wrote:SMU fans care. This ain't no conditional relationship, pal.

This.

I wanna see how "fans" are going to react the first year basketball wins only 8 games. Now everyone loves it but are they going to pack moody in adverse times? You cannot be a conditional fan, being there only when we win. You have to be there when we lose. Our team needs us right now, when they are down, and we need to help them get back up!
Our 2014 Football squad is way better than 2013, I would argue as good or better than our 2011 squad. I saw with my own eyes. "Cupboard is Bare" My arse.

But then again, the athletic department has SUCKED in marketing football. Apparently talking about our non revenue sports is more fun than promoting football and pasting billboards and posts and coming up with a slogan for our football team. We did things "The Right Way" and created "Moody Magic". When are we going to create "Ford Frenzy" and "Mustang Madness"?? No creativity?
Big12Mustang
Hall of Famer

Postby StallionsModelT » Mon Apr 07, 2014 11:37 am

The athletic department gave an extension to a man that publicly disgraced the university (Arizona State) and has been treading water at .500 for half a decade. That is all you need to know about the level of commitment the department has to football. You will see that manifested in the Ford Morgue this season. The obligation of the athletic department is to show the fans they at least have the aspiration to be great. Actions they've taken tell us that they don't. Hence, there will be no one at Ford next year.
Back off Warchild seriously.
StallionsModelT

Postby Big12Mustang » Mon Apr 07, 2014 11:45 am

StallionsModelT wrote:The athletic department gave an extension to a man that publicly disgraced the university (Arizona State) and has been treading water at .500 for half a decade. That is all you need to know about the level of commitment the department has to football. You will see that manifested in the Ford Morgue this season. The obligation of the athletic department is to show the fans they at least have the aspiration to be great. Actions they've taken tell us that they don't. Hence, there will be no one at Ford next year.

You can probably feel the frustration that I, as well as many fans feel right now towards our football program. I will show up to the games because I love football, but I know many that will not go with me not even for FREE.
Big12Mustang
Hall of Famer

Postby sbsmith » Mon Apr 07, 2014 11:58 am

Big12Mustang wrote:Our 2014 Football squad is way better than 2013, I would argue as good or better than our 2011 squad. I saw with my own eyes. "Cupboard is Bare" My arse.

I'd love to hear this argument, our longstanding sunshiners haven't even went out on that ledge.
They who would give up an essential liberty for temporary security, deserve neither liberty or security

-Benjamin Franklin
sbsmith

Postby mustang1108 » Mon Apr 07, 2014 12:08 pm

I think there is a chance our defense may be better this year, but I really don't know what to think about the offense. Burcham I think had potential coming into SMU and looked good against UCF after a disatrous performance against Houston. Looking at our WR's were going to need a miracle. I also have no idea what to think about the running game. Nlemchi is our best returning back no questions and who knows what to expect out of Line, P. Because if you remember Zach didn't breakout until his sophomore season. I think overall we will see a similar record to last year. We are no where near the talent we had in 2011. Our defense was great that year and was probably the best season we had under June and that was with a no name at qb in JJ McDermott.
mustang1108
Varsity

Postby ponyboy » Mon Apr 07, 2014 12:17 pm

A couple of spring practice reports notwithstanding, I really think Burcham's gonna be pretty good based on what I saw him do last year.
ponyboy

Postby SMUFan » Mon Apr 07, 2014 12:24 pm

Nobody cares? You obviously didn't go to the last practice. I feared that after the long run for the basketball team, nobody would show up, but the crowd was good. I'd say a little bigger than last year's, but I can't swear to that since they didn't take attendance. Saw lots of former players talking to kids, etc., and a ton of guys with name tags, which I assume means they were recruits. They don't scream on-line as loudly as the lynch mob, but the people I talked to were pretty engaged in what was going on on the fields, talking about who should start at which position, etc., and seemed to genuinely enjoy themselves. I know I did.
SMUFan
All-American

Postby JasonB » Mon Apr 07, 2014 1:09 pm

There were more people than I would have expected. Not huge, but more than have been there in the past. So success in basketball obviously had some type of impact.

As far as marketing goes, it is easy to market a winner. A little chick and egg there. I suspect we will see enough changes on game day with beer sales and the like that we will see more people come for the game and actually stick around. Season tickets will not go down because A&M people will buy season tickets in order to guarantee a seat at the game.

For the 2014 vs 2013 comparison, I think when you look at the youth and depth at RB, QB, OL, DL, CB, and S, it makes sense that we would be much improved in 2014. LB still looks scary in 2014, but other than that we are pretty young across the board.

When compared to the rest of the AAC, this is how I see us breaking down next year:
QB: below average
RB: above average
OL: average
WR: below average
DL: above average
CB: average (youth, depth issues)
LB: Below average
S: above average

Overall, average in the AAC. Average in the AAC means we lose to TCU, Baylor, A&M. So probably a 4 or 5 win season.

2014:
QB: average/above average
OL: above average
CB: above average
LB: below average

One of the better teams in the AAC. Will have 4 good QBs on campus to chose from. OL will be mature, and secondary will have depth everywhere.
JasonB

Postby Big12Mustang » Mon Apr 07, 2014 3:40 pm

JasonB wrote:There were more people than I would have expected. Not huge, but more than have been there in the past. So success in basketball obviously had some type of impact.

As far as marketing goes, it is easy to market a winner. A little chick and egg there. I suspect we will see enough changes on game day with beer sales and the like that we will see more people come for the game and actually stick around. Season tickets will not go down because A&M people will buy season tickets in order to guarantee a seat at the game.

For the 2014 vs 2013 comparison, I think when you look at the youth and depth at RB, QB, OL, DL, CB, and S, it makes sense that we would be much improved in 2014. LB still looks scary in 2014, but other than that we are pretty young across the board.

When compared to the rest of the AAC, this is how I see us breaking down next year:
QB: below average
OL: average
CB: average (youth, depth issues)
LB: Below average

Overall, average in the AAC. Average in the AAC means we lose to TCU, Baylor, A&M. So probably a 4 or 5 win season.

2014:
QB: average/above average
OL: above average
CB: above average
LB: below average

One of the better teams in the AAC. Will have 4 good QBs on campus to chose from. OL will be mature, and secondary will have depth everywhere.

What team are you referring to from what I highlighted?
Big12Mustang
Hall of Famer

PreviousNext

Return to Football