PonyFans.comBoard IndexAround the HilltopFootballRecruitingBasketballOther Sports

Summer Activities

This is the forum for talk about SMU Football

Moderators: PonyPride, SmooPower

Summer Activities

Postby kanucklehead » Thu Jun 14, 2001 2:18 pm

What do most of the players do in the summer? Stay on campus, go to school and do strength and conditioning? Go home, work and work out on their own? How organized are their summer workouts?
kanucklehead

Re: Summer Activities

Postby Texastang » Thu Jun 14, 2001 3:08 pm

Summer workouts are scheduled all the way through June and July until a few weeks before camp starts. Most of the players stay the entire time, the ones who go home are the ones who don't play. In the past few years the team had been pretty good about players letting other younger players bunk up with them for the summer. For the most part that is happening again this summer. There have been several rumors floating around that some of the young players, who we need next year, are going to be skipping there underweight butts all over the country. Come on guys, get back to Dallas!!

[This message has been edited by Texastang (edited 06-14-2001).]
Texastang
Scout Team

Postby kanucklehead » Fri Jun 15, 2001 12:24 am

So, Texastang, how do the guys who stay in town pay for summer? Can they get jobs around town or do they have to count on Mom and Dad to keep them afloat? Maybe the guys who you're talking about who are leaving town have to for financial reasons. Or am I just naive about how the scholarships work?
kanucklehead

Postby Guest » Fri Jun 15, 2001 10:28 am

Well, if finances are the problem, then it is probably better to stay in Dallas. They can get Summer jobs that pay very well the the SMU Pals program. No, it is just becuase they want to go home and not be up here working and getting ready for the season. Trust me, they can say they are going to workout and be getting ready but that is a load of crap. It just does not happen. It looks like this dedication is a sign of the upcoming season.

Postby Texastang » Fri Jun 15, 2001 10:31 am

One of the few great things that this Athl. Dept. did was create the P.A.L.S program for student-athletes. Basicly what it does is find jobs for players who have chosen to stay here in Dallas for the summer. They can find just about any job under the sun, including Internships which many players continue to work for when they graduate. There is absoultly no reason for a player to leave town for money reasons. What they have to realize is that summers at home with mom and dad and all their friends are over.
Texastang
Scout Team

Postby Texastang » Fri Jun 15, 2001 10:46 am

Stanglover, why do you always have to get your response in right before I submit mine. Don't you have anything better to do at 8:30 in the morning. Call me at the office.

[This message has been edited by Texastang (edited 06-15-2001).]

[This message has been edited by Texastang (edited 06-15-2001).]
Texastang
Scout Team

Postby Big Cat » Fri Jun 15, 2001 11:12 am

You both need to get to work!
Big Cat
Scout Team

Postby Big Cat » Fri Jun 15, 2001 11:21 am

TexaStang,

Empty some of the mail on your e-mail account. I am trying to send you some pics from New Years, Cabo and other stuff. Let me know when I can send.
Big Cat
Scout Team

Postby Texastang » Fri Jun 15, 2001 12:25 pm

I'll email you a different address account. Its a ton better than the other one.
Texastang
Scout Team

Return to Football