PonyFans.comBoard IndexAround the HilltopFootballRecruitingBasketballOther Sports

A new consultant is on the way!

This is the forum for talk about SMU Football

Moderators: PonyPride, SmooPower

Re: A new consultant is on the way!

Postby Grant Carter » Thu Apr 10, 2014 6:34 pm

Rebel10 wrote:
Big12Mustang wrote:
Rebel10 wrote:"June also wants me to help the Mustangs understand and implement the ‘No Huddle’ which he hasn’t done but I’ve been doing it for thirty years."

Isn't that what somewhat what did Hal Mumme did last year and we did pretty well? So now they are hiring a high school coach to implement the no huddle. I guess we will see how it turns out.

Don't discount him because he is a HS coach. Guy has a great coaching record. Football is Football, be it HS or College, but in college he will have better players to work with and execute his gameplan.
And if he's cheaper...well 8)

That's right, no Texas high school football coach that could help us with high school relationships runs the no huddle that he could have hired. :roll:

Do you think that a lot of coaches with options want to come work for a coach who is likely fired by the end of the year?
Grant Carter
Hall of Famer

Postby Big12Mustang » Thu Apr 10, 2014 6:36 pm

Rebel10 wrote:
Big12Mustang wrote:
Rebel10 wrote:"June also wants me to help the Mustangs understand and implement the ‘No Huddle’ which he hasn’t done but I’ve been doing it for thirty years."

Isn't that what somewhat what did Hal Mumme did last year and we did pretty well? So now they are hiring a high school coach to implement the no huddle. I guess we will see how it turns out.

Don't discount him because he is a HS coach. Guy has a great coaching record. Football is Football, be it HS or College, but in college he will have better players to work with and execute his gameplan.
And if he's cheaper...well 8)

That's right, no Texas high school football coach that could help us with high school relationships runs the no huddle that he could have hired. :roll:

HAHAHAHA I know, this hire reeks of June helping out one of his Oregon buddies :lol:
Big12Mustang
Hall of Famer

Postby ReedFrawg » Thu Apr 10, 2014 11:16 pm

You just can't make this stuff up.
ReedFrawg
Heisman

Postby couch 'em » Fri Apr 11, 2014 7:00 am

This story would be a nationwide humiliation if not for our complete irrelevancy. How anyone can defend Jube with both the TCU and Larry Brown examples is unbelievable
"I think Couchem is right."
-EVERYONE
couch 'em
PonyFans.com Super Legend

Postby ponyswim » Fri Apr 11, 2014 11:23 am

Like Jason and a few others, I think this makes perfect sense.
Get someone who has experience in the areas you want help in, that you trust and hire them to do the job.
Apparently this person will not have contact with the players - he is not a coach.
He can do a lot of things that Mumme did - and I really liked what seems like the Mumme influence.
I think it is highly doubtful that there was an option to hire someone in this position that could spend their time going to local high schools, etc. They have people who's job it is to recruit - they just need to do it.
I think it is pretty sad that some people's dislike for June is so intense that when he does something that seems to make sense he is still criticized for it.
ponyswim
Varsity

Postby mrydel » Wed Oct 01, 2014 5:12 pm

Just a reminder of some of our history with consultants and how well they work out.
All those who believe in psycho kinesis, raise my hand
mrydel

Postby Rebel10 » Thu Oct 02, 2014 6:41 am

At first when I read the post I thought they had hired Rossley. I think Mason also might be doing this because he knows a lot of SMU fans like Rossley. Because other than that hiring a consultant this point would be like pouring a cup of sand over a broken levee.
#HammerDown
Rebel10

Postby CA Mustang » Thu Oct 02, 2014 8:49 am

mrydel wrote:Just a reminder of some of our history with consultants and how well they work out.

If we don't know what the consultant did (did not do), how can we judge it?
CA Mustang
Hall of Famer

Postby mrydel » Thu Oct 02, 2014 8:53 am

He was brought in to assist with this years offense. I can judge on the results so far.
mrydel

Postby LA_Mustang » Thu Oct 02, 2014 9:36 am

ponyswim wrote:I think it is pretty sad that some people's dislike for June is so intense that when he does something that seems to make sense he is still criticized for it.

:roll:
SMU-12 NCAA appearances, 1 Final Four
2014-15 & 2016-17 AAC Men's Basketball Champs

LA_Mustang

Postby CA Mustang » Thu Oct 02, 2014 9:49 am

mrydel wrote:He was brought in to assist with this years offense. I can judge on the results so far.

I've been reading claims (regarding Rossley) about how consultants have such a limited impact and that it still comes to down Morrison and Phillips. So which is it, consultants can directly impact the offense or their impact is negligible due to the existing coaching staff?
CA Mustang
Hall of Famer

Postby mrydel » Thu Oct 02, 2014 10:01 am

I have no idea. All I said was this late in the season with an interim coach and most likely no feasible way to attain a bowl that I can understand RGT not wanting to spend money on a consultant. Add to it the assumption that money was spent on this guy and the results are nil, I think the no go is even more warranted.
mrydel

Postby CA Mustang » Thu Oct 02, 2014 10:48 am

Obviously there will be a different coaching staff for 2015 and beyond, but the question is what should be done about the rest of this season? The interim coach realizes he needs help and tying his hands won't improve results. I'm not claiming this current team can make a bowl, but why object to spending a few bucks to improve their chances the rest of the way? The cost ($30K? $50K?) won't be a factor when hiring the new coach.

I get the sense that some posters WANT to see an 0-12 season just to satisfy their viewpoints.
CA Mustang
Hall of Famer

Postby stc9 » Thu Oct 02, 2014 11:19 am

mrydel wrote:I have no idea. All I said was this late in the season with an interim coach and most likely no feasible way to attain a bowl that I can understand RGT not wanting to spend money on a consultant. Add to it the assumption that money was spent on this guy and the results are nil, I think the no go is even more warranted.

Mrydel, I respectfully disagree with you. If the amount reported on here is correct, then it is not a lot of money. Further the optics of the situation change. The results might not change, but the perception of who and what the school is trying to do change. I am sure RGT did a cost benefit analysis and decided against it.

As far as the actual power of a consultant goes... I have been a consultant for 10 years. I might not have the legal authority, but the moment I walk in the door there is no doubt in anyone's mind who is actually in charge. If the people don't like it, I will happily show them the door. Rossley's influence on what is going on is dependent on Mason. If Mason backs him 100%, then there is nothing the others can do. As far as Rossley calling plays, if he is in the press box with Morrison or Phillips all he has to do is say what play he would call out loud and they relay it down to the field via the headsets.
Some rise by sin, and some by virtue fall
stc9
Heisman

Postby mrydel » Thu Oct 02, 2014 11:45 am

I do not believe the consultant is allowed to be as hands on as you suggest. But regardless, I just do not see how a consultant, even if the services were free could come in at this stage and change the offense to a point of winning games that we could not win without him. We needed a consultant like Rossley when this Oregon guy was hired. I do not wish for 0-12, I just do not see being able to do more with what we have in place than we already are. We just need to try and improve.
mrydel

PreviousNext

Return to Football