PonyFans.comBoard IndexAround the HilltopFootballRecruitingBasketballOther Sports

A new consultant is on the way!

This is the forum for talk about SMU Football

Moderators: PonyPride, SmooPower

Re: A new consultant is on the way!

Postby Grant Carter » Sat Apr 05, 2014 11:28 am

That is a more accurate job description than I have ever seen for any member of the coaching staff, so he has that going for him.
Grant Carter
Hall of Famer

Postby Stallion » Sat Apr 05, 2014 11:52 am

As usual for June Jones-a hire that is completely out of left field to one of June's buddies looking for a soft retirement. It is so bizarre that it really didn't jog my memory about what was going on. This hire is in response to 2013 changes in NCAA rules expanding the number administrative and recruiting support personnel that a school may hire. Its is now essentially left to each school to determine how many support personnel hire. All big time BCS programs loaded up their staffs last year usually with former NCAA coaches with recruiting experience or ace local high school coaches with strong relationships with Texas or local high school coaches. TCU for example hired former head of THSCA Kenny Perry who was a former College coach (who later joined TCU coaching staff). Alabama hired former head coach and national recruiting ace Kevin Steele. SMU hired a high school thousands of miles away. Here's an excerpt from UT about the rules changes and job description

At the heart of the matter are changes in recruiting rules recently posed by the NCAA, particularly the elimination of limitations on contact between potential recruits and support staff. Under the current rules, only coaches could communicate with prospects. The proposed rule changes would make it possible for support staff to contact recruits but prohibit that staff from making personal visits to those recruits. Almost immediately, coaches began adding additional recruiters to their support personnel in anticipation of the change, and many coaches envisioned a separate recruiting staff to supplement their coaching staff
Last edited by Stallion on Sat Apr 05, 2014 12:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"With a quarter of a tank of gas, we can get everything we need right here in DFW." -SMU Head Coach Chad Morris

When momentum starts rolling downhill in recruiting-WATCH OUT.
Stallion
PonyFans.com Super Legend

Postby 78pony » Sat Apr 05, 2014 12:04 pm

There is a really good pee-wee league coach in the Park cities area. I'll send june his name and contact info.
78pony
Heisman

Postby Stallion » Sat Apr 05, 2014 12:14 pm

The thing that pisses me off even more is that this was probably a legitimate attempt by the AD or big pocket alumni to address some of June's deficiencies by adding support personnel/recruiting assistance and June goes out and hires a part time semi retired high school coach from Oregon who has zero Texas ties. BTW this would make an excellent question to the AD-how did SMU respond to these 2013 NCAA changes in administrative/support personnel? I don't think its really been discussed in the SMU community on message boards/recruiting services/athletic blogs
"With a quarter of a tank of gas, we can get everything we need right here in DFW." -SMU Head Coach Chad Morris

Stallion

Postby longbuzzer » Sat Apr 05, 2014 12:31 pm

Reminds me of the old definition of a consultant: a man that knows fifty ways to make love to a woman, but doesn't know any.
longbuzzer
Junior Varsity

Postby No Quarter » Sun Apr 06, 2014 7:06 am

Surely this can't be good.

I can remember coaching changes at other colleges that did not go through after they were announced as done deals because the resume offered proved inaccurate. I also recall comment on this board that SMU would never hire some coaches with good W - L records because of personal issues or past run -ins with the NCAA.

Incredible to me that SMU can't throw the switch on this guy, that there is no institutional control, that the CoC does not have some say on this sort of thing. There have been threads on the subject of donor fatigue and speculation about continued donations after JJ and it is hard to see that this will change any minds towards continued support.

But, Coach Jones said something about the "leverage" he had when talk about the extension was going on and I suppose this is another example.
No Quarter
Heisman

A new consultant is on the way!

Postby Grant Carter » Sun Apr 06, 2014 9:22 am

Stallion wrote:The thing that pisses me off even more is that this was probably a legitimate attempt by the AD or big pocket alumni to address some of June's deficiencies by adding support personnel/recruiting assistance and June goes out and hires a part time semi retired high school coach from Oregon who has zero Texas ties. BTW this would make an excellent question to the AD-how did SMU respond to these 2013 NCAA changes in administrative/support personnel? I don't think its really been discussed in the SMU community on message boards/recruiting services/athletic blogs

I agree, but in June's shoes bringing in a coach that "might" help you win this year is much more important than someone who would help with recruiting. If SMU does not win on the field this year then June will be gone no matter how well the recruiting class is looking. His incentives all point to him taking a short term outlook.

The other thing is, when he is so obviously on his last legs he is not going to be able to higher someone proven who has a lot of other opportunities.

I am not defending the hire of this guy, just trying to think about why we might have ended up with him here.
Grant Carter
Hall of Famer

Postby Big12Mustang » Sun Apr 06, 2014 1:14 pm

Like I said, retire and people want you. Yesterday I agreed to help coach June Jones at SMU when I return from Germany. The D-1 schools have begun hiring people to work off field helping in areas that used to be done by on staff coaches. My task will be a multiple one. First I’ll be an ‘Idea’ guy, consultant if you will. June says he wants my eyes and my brain. And he wants me to look at all their video from last season and ‘critique’ the offense. I did that very thing a few years ago for Mike Riley at OSU and enjoyed it a lot. June also wants me to help the Mustangs understand and implement the ‘No Huddle’ which he hasn’t done but I’ve been doing it for thirty years. The final part of my ‘job’ will be to help Dan Morrison, the QB coach, by paring down the recruit list of QB’s by again watching video and selecting a top ten list. Dan won’t need to spend time watching video of players that aren’t good enough to offer scholarships. We’ll work well together as Dan worked for me at LC while working on his master’s degree.

The best news is I’ll be able to begin soon as I can do nearly all my tasks on the internet. I won’t need to be in Dallas, Texas. They’ll give me the ‘password’ to their video and it doesn’t matter where I am. Certainly I’ll have a lot of free time while in Saarbrucken to get started in my new job. And by the time I do get to Dallas I’ll be familiar with their offense and will be up to speed on everything they’ve done while I was coaching in Germany.

The retirement didn’t last very long. Fine with me, you can only play so much golf.

1) June wants someone to critique our offense and probably find out where we messed up. I agree this is very important and needed.

2) We are moving towards 'no huddle'. No more QB going to the sideline!! :twisted:

3) He will scout for talent and watch video so that our QB coach Dan Morrison can hit the pavement and not have to look at video. Probably do it for other positions as well. At least will take out the excuse that our staff is overworked and can't visit prospects.

When you really think about it...it doesn't sound like a bad hire. Hopefully it will vastly improve our recruiting and help our offense.
Big12Mustang
Hall of Famer

Postby Damon'sDaMan » Sun Apr 06, 2014 4:44 pm

No need to dive off the highest cliff here. This guy probably costs next to nothing and doesn't count against the NCAA limit for assistant coaches. At worst, he's a non-factor. At best, he offers some insight that helps somewhere along the way.
Damon'sDaMan
Junior Varsity

Postby Stallion » Sun Apr 06, 2014 6:26 pm

perhaps you didn't read above -The NCAA expanded-no they eliminated-the limitations on who can recruit (except off campus). They can text, telephone and contact recruits and coaches. Therefore the preference for coaches with Texas ties. He very well maybe only a minor consultant but I really would be interested in how SMU responded to this change-every other school has been quite public in responding to the change. I don't think SMU has ever publically commented

Stallion

Postby Dooby » Thu Apr 10, 2014 10:55 am

This is a prank right? It has to be a parody. It reads like something we would make up. It can't be true.
At no point in your rambling, incoherent response were you even close to anything that could be considered a rational thought. Everyone in this room is now dumber for having listened to it. I award you no points, and may God have mercy on your soul.
Dooby
PonyFans.com Legend

Postby Rebel10 » Thu Apr 10, 2014 5:03 pm

"June also wants me to help the Mustangs understand and implement the ‘No Huddle’ which he hasn’t done but I’ve been doing it for thirty years."

Isn't that what somewhat what did Hal Mumme did last year and we did pretty well? So now they are hiring a high school coach to implement the no huddle. I guess we will see how it turns out.
#HammerDown
Rebel10

Postby JasonB » Thu Apr 10, 2014 5:43 pm

The way I read it, this guy is going to come in and do what Hal was doing last year - update the offense and give us an option for a no-huddle.

Nothing wrong with it, and at least he isn't taking up an official coaching position like Hal did last season.

That said, it sure would be nice to hear that we are making a bigger investment into recruiting staff.
JasonB

Postby Big12Mustang » Thu Apr 10, 2014 6:00 pm

Rebel10 wrote:"June also wants me to help the Mustangs understand and implement the ‘No Huddle’ which he hasn’t done but I’ve been doing it for thirty years."

Isn't that what somewhat what did Hal Mumme did last year and we did pretty well? So now they are hiring a high school coach to implement the no huddle. I guess we will see how it turns out.

Don't discount him because he is a HS coach. Guy has a great coaching record. Football is Football, be it HS or College, but in college he will have better players to work with and execute his gameplan.
And if he's cheaper...well 8)
Big12Mustang
Hall of Famer

Postby Rebel10 » Thu Apr 10, 2014 6:32 pm

Big12Mustang wrote:
Rebel10 wrote:"June also wants me to help the Mustangs understand and implement the ‘No Huddle’ which he hasn’t done but I’ve been doing it for thirty years."

Don't discount him because he is a HS coach. Guy has a great coaching record. Football is Football, be it HS or College, but in college he will have better players to work with and execute his gameplan.
And if he's cheaper...well 8)

That's right, no Texas high school football coach that could help us with high school relationships runs the no huddle that he could have hired. :roll:
#HammerDown
Rebel10

PreviousNext

Return to Football