PonyFans.comBoard IndexAround the HilltopFootballRecruitingBasketballOther Sports

Obligatory uniform thread

This is the forum for talk about SMU Football

Moderators: PonyPride, SmooPower

Re: Obligatory uniform thread

Postby blackoutpony » Tue Apr 08, 2014 1:16 pm

East Coast Mustang wrote:
BIGHORSE wrote:And don't forget to make the helmet stripes wider.

Agreed. Why did we change that in the first place?

probably didn't reflect properly with the new light adjustments we made
BOP - Providing insensitivity training for a politically correct world since 1989.
blackoutpony
PonyFans.com Legend

Postby BIGHORSE » Tue Apr 08, 2014 5:08 pm

BIGHORSE wrote:And don't forget to make the helmet stripes wider.

Agreed. Why did we change that in the first place?

june just freaking up our uniforms.
BIGHORSE
Hall of Famer

Postby AustinPerson » Tue Apr 08, 2014 5:55 pm

Gray pants are awful. The Phil Bennett look was horrific. What a high school look.
AustinPerson
All-American

Postby Rebel10 » Tue Apr 08, 2014 6:21 pm

horsemanx wrote:Wow. If we have plain jerseys with our school name on them and plain pants we're going to look like a freaking high school team.

I'd rather us NOT look like Oregon, but I wish we'd go back to blue uniforms. Some different helmet combos would be cool, too.

I think Oregon has some pretty cool unis.
#HammerDown
Rebel10
PonyFans.com Super Legend

Postby Rebel10 » Tue Apr 08, 2014 6:22 pm

Local HS coaches perspective of SMU.

http://smu.scout.com/2/1391946.html
#HammerDown
Rebel10

Postby Big12Mustang » Tue Apr 08, 2014 6:53 pm

Rebel10 wrote:Local HS coaches perspective of SMU.

I am glad to hear that there are good recruits that want to go to SMU. At least our staff is getting the hint about recruiting, but this should serve as an indicator that more has to be done. We need to get this over to Hart.
Big12Mustang
Hall of Famer

Postby blackoutpony » Tue Apr 08, 2014 7:18 pm

Big12Mustang wrote:

I am glad to hear that there are good recruits that want to go to SMU. At least our staff is getting the hint about recruiting, but this should serve as an indicator that more has to be done. We need to get this over to Hart.

The point of the article is that they still don't get it
BOP - Providing insensitivity training for a politically correct world since 1989.
blackoutpony
PonyFans.com Legend

Postby Rebel10 » Tue Apr 08, 2014 7:24 pm

blackoutpony wrote:
Big12Mustang wrote:

Blackoutpony, you must be referring to one of the quotes. Like this one.

“I can tell you North Texas lives here, TCU, Texas, even Texas Tech lives out here. But…” Mathis said as he raised his arms and looked around as though for the SMU staff. “They’re in the backyard.”
#HammerDown
Rebel10

Postby Big12Mustang » Tue Apr 08, 2014 7:32 pm

blackoutpony wrote:
Big12Mustang wrote:

With many of the top football talent in the region gathering at the Nike Football Training Camp last Saturday, some coaches from local high schools were in attendance, watching both their own players and the competition.

As his school was the host of the event, DeSoto head coach Claude Mathis was there walking up and down the sidelines and talking with his players.

When asked about the job SMU has done recruiting his program, Mathis said the coaching staff has been making efforts to improve.

“They’ve been making strides. I can’t remember the guy who’s been coming over here, I think it’s (defensive line coach Bert) Hill, but they’ve been trying a bit harder,” Mathis said. “I just wish they would come over more. I mean everybody else does so I don’t know what happened. I couldn’t tell you but I wish they would.”

When asked if any of his players would be interested in SMU, Mathis responded with an emphatic, “Heck yeah!”

“They would go. That’s a first-rate program. My kids just love to play football,” Mathis said. “I have some receivers, a couple running backs, a cornerback, and a couple linebackers that really can play so I don’t know why (SMU isn’t out here more).”

Mathis compared the SMU staff to some of the other local programs.

“I can tell you North Texas lives here, TCU, Texas, even Texas Tech lives out here. But…” Mathis said as he raised his arms and looked around as though for the SMU staff. “They’re in the backyard.”

R.J. Bond, the defensive and recruiting coordinator at South Oak Cliff, has observed an upward trajectory in SMU’s recruiting efforts over the years.

“I think each year SMU has tried to get more and more into the city,” Bond said. “Within the city and the surrounding areas, they just need to pluck that one and the rest will come. Just get that one and the rest will follow, whether it’s a big-time DISD kid or whatever. Just the one.

(Daniel Gresham) could be one to open up the floodgates. SMU just needs to keep a lot of these DFW kids in the city to compete. It takes time. Oklahoma is here all the time, Texas is here all the time, Alabama comes around here, LSU comes around here, so they’re competing with some big guys nationally. But there offering the right kids and it’ll just take one and they’ll be fine.”

Bond said that some of his players are considering SMU.

“We got a couple kids that are interested but they haven’t received an offer yet from SMU but they would be very interested,” Bond said. “I know Willie Smith would be interested, he’s an athlete or corner. Lamont Johnson the wide receiver (who attended the camp) would be interested. A couple of our defensive linemen would be interested if they got the offer and they’d fit the scheme. But (SMU’s) efforts, you can tell, they are trying to do better in the area.”

Read again.
Big12Mustang
Hall of Famer

Postby couch 'em » Tue Apr 08, 2014 10:12 pm

Yes read it again. We have been trying noticeably hard - yet still not as hard as UNT or even Tech coming 6 hours from lubbotock and the guy doesn't even remember our coach's name. Embarassing. Most embarassing for our fans who can't acknowledge the situation
"I think Couchem is right."
-EVERYONE
couch 'em

Postby ojaipony » Tue Apr 08, 2014 11:46 pm

couch 'em wrote:Yes read it again. We have been trying noticeably hard - yet still not as hard as UNT or even Tech coming 6 hours from lubbotock and the guy doesn't even remember our coach's name. Embarassing. Most embarassing for our fans who can't acknowledge the situation

This!

NO ONE can defend this. You should become this guy's best friend. Know about his family, his kids, attend his church, go to his kids' baseball games, buy the bake sale raffle tickets all of it! One. Relationship. At. A. Time. In concentric circles from campus. If you are NOT doing that, you should be fired. Immediately. No questions. Here's your pink slip, [deleted] off.
ojaipony

Postby Stallion » Wed Apr 09, 2014 10:11 am

Hell we should have hired Claude Mathis 3 years ago-he's been No. 1 on my assistant coaching prospect list for some time
"With a quarter of a tank of gas, we can get everything we need right here in DFW." -SMU Head Coach Chad Morris

When momentum starts rolling downhill in recruiting-WATCH OUT.
Stallion

Postby Treadway21 » Wed Apr 09, 2014 10:35 am

Stallion wrote:Hell we should have hired Claude Mathis 3 years ago-he's been No. 1 on my assistant coaching prospect list for some time

No, we need more consultants from Oregon.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
An atheist is a guy who watches a Notre Dame-SMU football game and
doesn't care who wins.
-- Dwight D. Eisenhower
Treadway21

Postby aus10fromhous10 » Thu Apr 10, 2014 6:15 pm

CalallenStang wrote:
In general, we hope to establish the design of our blue uniforms as our standard "look" - with a red and white version added. Then, if we add a second set of pants (red, blue or gray) and a second helmet we will have a variety of combinations to choose from. Of course, lock-up gloves, socks, cleats, etc. are also all part of the conversation.

http://www.smumustangs.com/genrel/110113aaa.html

At the NYC alumni event on 12/11/13, Hart basically reiterated the same thing from the blog post. He said the second set of helmets was a priority, citing that when they did the red helmets for the UConn game, it took the equipment staff all week to do apply the wraps on the helmets a few players at a time.

Regarding pants, I couldn't resist the urge to ask him if black was an option, but he said that's not being considered.

While Hart didn't say this specifically, I wouldn't be surprised to see the blue jerseys make an appearance during the 2014 season, but they'd just use the same ones from the 2013 season.
aus10fromhous10
Junior Varsity

Postby Silk » Thu Apr 10, 2014 6:21 pm

Rebel10 wrote:
horsemanx wrote:Wow. If we have plain jerseys with our school name on them and plain pants we're going to look like a freaking high school team.

I'd rather us NOT look like Oregon, but I wish we'd go back to blue uniforms. Some different helmet combos would be cool, too.

I think Oregon has some pretty cool unis.

They look like everyone working at a highlighter company threw up.

Just like Baylor's garbage.
Silk
Varsity

PreviousNext

Return to Football