PonyFans.comBoard IndexAround the HilltopFootballRecruitingBasketballOther Sports

Obligatory uniform thread

This is the forum for talk about SMU Football

Moderators: PonyPride, SmooPower

Re: Obligatory uniform thread

Postby Rebel10 » Thu Apr 10, 2014 6:23 pm

Silk wrote:
They look like everyone working at a highlighter company threw up.

Just like Baylor's garbage.

They look good to me and kids like them regardless of your opinion jerk.
#HammerDown
Rebel10
PonyFans.com Super Legend

Postby East Coast Mustang » Thu Apr 10, 2014 6:27 pm

Easy with the name calling, Rebel. You've been quick on the trigger recently

We can have awesome uniforms without looking like circus characters. See: 2008
2005 PonyFans.com Rookie of the Year Award Recipient
East Coast Mustang

Postby Rebel10 » Thu Apr 10, 2014 6:37 pm

East Coast Mustang wrote:Easy with the name calling, Rebel. You've been quick on the trigger recently

We can have awesome uniforms without looking like circus characters. See: 2008

i believe you just called them a name. And while people like yourself are caught up in traditionalism that does mean Oregon's unis look bad. They look good to the kids so no need to degrade what they are doing. Just because an old fuddy duddy like you doesn't like them doesn't mean others do not like them. Just sat the are not for you. 2008's uniforms weren't awesome.
#HammerDown
Rebel10

Postby Grant Carter » Thu Apr 10, 2014 6:44 pm

He insulted uniforms, you called someone a jerk. No difference there at all.
Grant Carter
Hall of Famer

Postby Rebel10 » Thu Apr 10, 2014 6:49 pm

Grant Carter wrote:He insulted uniforms, you called someone a jerk. No difference there at all.

I believe his comments were directed at me and my position on the uniforms smart alec.
#HammerDown
Rebel10

Postby East Coast Mustang » Thu Apr 10, 2014 10:33 pm

Rebel10 wrote:
Grant Carter wrote:He insulted uniforms, you called someone a jerk. No difference there at all.

I believe his comments were directed at me and my position on the uniforms smart alec.

I implied Oregon's and some of Baylor's uniforms recently looked like circus characters. If you interpreted that as me calling you a name, then you need to work on your reading comprehension.

Just like we didn't make our new basketball floor a Jackson Pollock artwork wannabe, our football uniforms should adhere to some degree of class/tradition as well. I have no problem switching things up a little with alternate red helmets or gray pants, but this is a pretty clean look IMO:

I think we could maybe make one mockup wild jersey that looks out there, and tell the players if they beat a SEC/Big 12 team or win the AAC, then we'll have it made up for the bowl game. No problem with that at all.
2005 PonyFans.com Rookie of the Year Award Recipient
East Coast Mustang

Postby Big12Mustang » Thu Apr 10, 2014 10:41 pm

East Coast Mustang wrote:
Rebel10 wrote:

I implied Oregon's and some of Baylor's uniforms recently looked like circus characters. If you interpreted that as me calling you a name, then you need to work on your reading comprehension.

Just like we didn't make our new basketball floor a Jackson Pollock artwork wannabe, our football uniforms should adhere to some degree of class/tradition as well. I have no problem switching things up a little with alternate red helmets or gray pants, but this is a pretty clean look IMO:

I think we could maybe make one mockup wild jersey that looks out there, and tell the players if they beat a SEC/Big 12 team or win the AAC, then we'll have it made up for the bowl game. No problem with that at all.

I prefer the look of the blue jerseys we used vs Rutgers. It's consistent with our basketball uniforms.

White jerseys for away games, Blue for home games vs. AAC and Red jerseys for OOC home games.
Big12Mustang
Hall of Famer

Postby Bergermeister » Fri Apr 11, 2014 7:36 am

The head coach has the final say on his team's uniforms. I'm sure, if you emailed your suggestions to the head coach, he would take an appropriate amount of time to carefully consider each uniform idea. :lol:
Bergermeister

Postby PonySnob » Fri Apr 11, 2014 7:48 am

Bergermeister wrote:The head coach has the final say on his team's uniforms. I'm sure, if you emailed your suggestions to the head coach, he would take an appropriate amount of time to carefully consider each uniform idea. :lol:

He did let the team vote that one time.........and they picked red. [WINKING FACE]

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Peruna is my mascot!
PonySnob

Postby SMU1523 » Fri Apr 11, 2014 8:43 am

PonySnob wrote:
Bergermeister wrote:The head coach has the final say on his team's uniforms. I'm sure, if you emailed your suggestions to the head coach, he would take an appropriate amount of time to carefully consider each uniform idea. :lol:

He did let the team vote that one time.........and they picked red. [WINKING FACE]

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Which happened to be a terrible decision. Those red helmets would have looked terrible on the blue or red uniforms, but the red was worse. Those would have only looked good with white or navy jerseys (like the Jerry Levias era).
SMU1523
Heisman

Postby jimhagle » Fri Apr 11, 2014 12:02 pm

It amazes me that in 2014 we still have very bland unis. Incredible
jimhagle
Heisman

Postby Rayburn » Fri Apr 11, 2014 9:28 pm

jimhagle wrote:It amazes me that in 2014 we still have very bland unis. Incredible

True, but at least they aren't the clown suits Oregon or Arizona State wears.
Rayburn
PonyFans.com Legend

Postby TidePony » Sun Apr 13, 2014 10:39 am

Miami just released their uniform options for next season. They are scaled back, no weird stuff, and almost classic. The Power Ranger look may have run its course (thank goodness!).Image
TidePony
Hall of Famer

Postby JasonB » Sun Apr 13, 2014 12:01 pm

Sirius XM broadcast the Florida State spring game yesterday. They interviewed the AD at halftime, and they are going through a rebranding - changed the logo. He said that every single team has the opportunity to pay money to their uniform providers to do market research and get specialized designs and colors outside of the generic uniform options those companies provide.

He also hinted that the generic options weren't that great, so it kind of encourages schools to spend the money on the customization. He said some colors aren't really available either - because Florida State is garnet and gold, garnet is not a common color and wasn't available. So, between not getting a precise color match and the desire to re-do the logo, they decided to pay the customization fee. With that, they get specialized numbers and the whole bit.

So, when you see schools like Baylor get special uniforms, it isn't that they are picked by random. Baylor is paying to customize - it is a brand investment.

The way this is going, our Mustang Club donations should be applied in this order:
1) base expenses
2) coaching salaries
3) Uniform fund
4) Facility improvement.

Hell, we may just need to fill the uniform fund once, and once a new, great design comes out, just re-use it from that point forward.

Anyway, my point is that our uniforms are going to be generic unless we pay that fee. No matter what pattern they choose out of the catalog, someone is going to complain.
JasonB

Obligatory uniform thread

Postby TidePony » Sun Apr 13, 2014 12:20 pm

http://ftw.usatoday.com/2014/04/florida ... oles-logo/

Looks like a few people have their Seminole feathers rattled...
Last edited by TidePony on Sun Apr 13, 2014 7:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.
TidePony
Hall of Famer

PreviousNext

Return to Football