PonyFans.comBoard IndexAround the HilltopFootballRecruitingBasketballOther Sports

How do we build up SMU Swagger and dominate the AAC?

This is the forum for talk about SMU Football

Moderators: PonyPride, SmooPower

Re: How do we build up SMU Swagger and dominate the AAC?

Postby Fresh » Tue Apr 08, 2014 2:28 pm

Big12Mustang wrote:
blackoutpony wrote:If you have to ask how to acquire swagger, you will never have it

We are doing it in Basketball...and we can do it in Football.

True, but recruiting in football and recruiting in basketball are entirely different. That's not to say it can't be done in football, I don't see why not, but it's a different business.
Fresh
Varsity

Postby sbsmith » Tue Apr 08, 2014 2:36 pm

Grant Carter wrote:Does he not understand or does he not care? Seems like they are different things but you are conflating them.

He doesn't care as much as the competition and doesn't understand (or even want to understand) the importance of recruiting (hence his lightweight staff and complete lack of presence in DFW recruiting). It's much easier for him to blame the fans and the administration for the program's problems.
They who would give up an essential liberty for temporary security, deserve neither liberty or security

-Benjamin Franklin
sbsmith
PonyFans.com Super Legend

Postby Grant Carter » Tue Apr 08, 2014 2:39 pm

sbsmith wrote:
Grant Carter wrote:Does he not understand or does he not care? Seems like they are different things but you are conflating them.

He doesn't care as much as the competition and doesn't understand (or even want to understand) the importance of recruiting (hence his lightweight staff and complete lack of presence in DFW recruiting). It's much easier for him to blame the fans and the administration for the program's problems.

If he doesn't understand then maybe he cares and just cannot figure it out.

It seems to me he does care and is simply not capable of doing better, through some combination of lack of understanding and lack of ability.
Grant Carter
Hall of Famer

Postby Big12Mustang » Tue Apr 08, 2014 2:43 pm

His "islander" chill attitude doesn't help him with people giving him respect here. Big 12 coaches are Type A, about to have a heart attack in games, kind of coaches. Dallas is type A. People at SMU wanted to see a "type A" coach that yells and screams and sells to recruits like Alec Baldwin in Glengary Glenn Ross
Big12Mustang
Hall of Famer

Postby ojaipony » Tue Apr 08, 2014 3:34 pm

Grant Carter wrote:
It seems to me he does care and is simply not capable of doing better, through some combination of lack of understanding and lack of ability.

This.

There's a lot of resignation in the football program culture around recruiting as far as I can tell since Klemm left.

James Proche is a great example. High, high talent. In our backyard. We need to be on him like white on rice. I never hear anything about him.

And we HAVE had some "high profile transfers" (GG, Shead, etc) just need more, especially out of JUCO (Sterling, etc). But we need this every year and MORE of them, not just 1-2 (four or five each ready to play right away - Caleb is a good example, need more). Then we HAVE to get 1-2 four stars out of high school for the next 2-3 classes each. Not really a "nice to have" but a "MUST have". If they are DFW top 100, even better (I understand Gresham is, that's good. Need more).
ojaipony

Postby couch 'em » Tue Apr 08, 2014 3:41 pm

Proof is in the pudding. Our wins come from ranking 100+ garbage teams. We arent getting better. Move on
"I think Couchem is right."
-EVERYONE
couch 'em

Postby PonySnob » Tue Apr 08, 2014 4:03 pm

Big12Mustang wrote:
blackoutpony wrote:If you have to ask how to acquire swagger, you will never have it

Probably not with June............
Peruna is my mascot!
PonySnob

Postby Big12Mustang » Wed Apr 09, 2014 7:49 am

PonySnob wrote:
Big12Mustang wrote:

Probably not with June............

Maybe you're right, but we have a good foundation to start moving in the right direction. We are definitely more attractive to any coach than pre 2008.
Big12Mustang
Hall of Famer

Previous

Return to Football