PonyFans.comBoard IndexAround the HilltopFootballRecruitingBasketballOther Sports

Sorry, a conference realignment thread

This is the forum for talk about SMU Football

Moderators: PonyPride, SmooPower

Sorry, a conference realignment thread

Postby ponyboy » Tue Apr 08, 2014 10:53 am

Let me throw a hypothetical out there. I predicted somewhere else that JJ's going to exceed expectations in his final year here. Let's say he does that, and that we get into a bowl and maybe sniff being ranked to end the season. He leaves smelling pretty good and then we hire our third big name guy in a row (first JJ, then LB, then...)

Given our basketball program, given the fact that we actually can capture Dallas' and the nation's attention, and given the crowds that would attend football games if we do as I've predicted in football. Would we be a target in the upcoming re-reshuffle?
ponyboy
PonyFans.com Super Legend

Re: Sorry, a conference realignment thread

Postby sbsmith » Tue Apr 08, 2014 11:11 am

We'd need to deliver ratings for a significant period of time (5+ years) to be a realistic expansion target. These conferences are looking for brands they can use to squeeze more money from the networks, not mouths to feed.
They who would give up an essential liberty for temporary security, deserve neither liberty or security

-Benjamin Franklin
sbsmith

Postby ponyboy » Tue Apr 08, 2014 11:17 am

True dat. Bruce Feldman says the big split between "major and mid-major college football" will occur "in the next decade." What I'm saying is that, if the above occurs, we could deliver ratings for long enough to justify a just-in-time inclusion. It's not outside the realm of possibility, is it? Would a newly expanded to 50K -- and consistently filled -- Ford Stadium be enough to do it?
ponyboy

Postby Big12Mustang » Tue Apr 08, 2014 11:36 am

ponyboy wrote:True dat. Bruce Feldman says the big split between "major and mid-major college football" will occur "in the next decade." What I'm saying is that, if the above occurs, we could deliver ratings for long enough to justify a just-in-time inclusion. It's not outside the realm of possibility, is it? Would a newly expanded to 50K -- and consistently filled -- Ford Stadium be enough to do it?

I think the time is now. SMU Football needs to step it up and become the newest "sexy" team in Texas. June or whoever our coach is has to step it up in recruiting, SMU Athletic Department has to step up marketing exponentially (great start in basketball, but we need way more!) and SMU Fans/Alumni/Students have to show up and support our own team. If we don't support our own, how do we expect local DFW fans to come to our games?

Listen to this. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ngw4qKMgEd4

These guys are saying that although you have TCU in the metroplex for college football, people in Dallas don't have a "college scene", but we are making a dent with basketball. We need to bring Big time football to Dallas. Then a 50,000 stadium will not be enough for all the crowds that will start pouring in.
Big12Mustang
Hall of Famer

Postby East Coast Mustang » Tue Apr 08, 2014 11:44 am

If he exceeds expectations, we make it to a bowl and "sniff being ranked" to end the season, why would this be June's last year?

BTW if we "sniff being ranked" in football in 2014 I will send a fruit basket to ponyboy's house. I just dont see it, but hope I am wrong
2005 PonyFans.com Rookie of the Year Award Recipient
East Coast Mustang

Postby ponyboy » Tue Apr 08, 2014 11:57 am

East Coast Mustang wrote:If he exceeds expectations, we make it to a bowl and "sniff being ranked" to end the season, why would this be June's last year?

Because he builds programs, he doesn't sustain them. He's a guy who takes joy in doing things in a very odd way and as is tired and bored of us as we are of him. He left Hawaii at the top for a very real reason having nothing to do with lack of commitment from the university. He was bored. He may do the same with us, take us to a totally unexpected level in his last year.
ponyboy

Postby Big12Mustang » Tue Apr 08, 2014 12:11 pm

ponyboy wrote:
East Coast Mustang wrote:If he exceeds expectations, we make it to a bowl and "sniff being ranked" to end the season, why would this be June's last year?

Because he builds programs, he doesn't sustain them. He's a guy who takes joy in doing things in a very odd way and as is tired and bored of us as we are of him. He left Hawaii at the top for a very real reason having nothing to do with lack of commitment from the university. He was bored. He may do the same with us, take us to a totally unexpected level in his last year.

2005 Warriors go 5-7, 2006 bounce back to 11-3 and 2007 goes 12-1.

He has done it before...
Big12Mustang
Hall of Famer

Postby StallionsModelT » Tue Apr 08, 2014 12:16 pm

If June Jones can get this team to even sniff the Top 25 then I will take back every negative thing I've ever said about the man and SMU should give him a lifetime extension. That is how confident I am that this season will be a turd.
Back off Warchild seriously.
StallionsModelT

Postby StallionsModelT » Tue Apr 08, 2014 12:17 pm

ponyboy,

Totally revisionist history on why June left UH. He had $2M reasons to leave Hawaii for SMU. Nothing more and nothing less. If they'd have come even close to offering what we did financially he'd be doing the Hakka and eating pineapple as we speak.
StallionsModelT

Postby ponyboy » Tue Apr 08, 2014 12:21 pm

I'm not discounting the effect of the money. That's a load of cash and will allow for a real nice Hawaiian retirement. I'm just telling you what really motivates the guy. He enjoys the thrill of turnaround done in his way and is not a long term sustainer of programs. That's a big reason, not the only reason but a big one, why ASU was so attractive to him. He'd achieved significant success here and was ready for the next fix.
ponyboy

Postby East Coast Mustang » Tue Apr 08, 2014 12:22 pm

I will reiterate what I've said before- June can pull out a W when he needs it most- see Compass Bowl drubbing after ASU fiasco, 2012 Tulsa game to get bowl eligible and ensuing Hawaii Bowl beatdown, and he almost did it again last year against #15 UCF with his second and third string QBs.

A 4-8 season wouldn't surprise me in the least, but neither would a 7-5 season with a whacky upset over TCU or something. Say what you want about his commitment to recruiting and selling the program here, but he's a very good Xs and Os coach
2005 PonyFans.com Rookie of the Year Award Recipient
East Coast Mustang

Postby StallionsModelT » Tue Apr 08, 2014 12:26 pm

He's such a good coach that in 7 years we haven't come anywhere close to producing the kind of offensive numbers that Hawaii was putting up under his tenure. The dude came here for the money, beat a bunch of chump programs with zero commitment to football, and will ride off into the sunset after this year with a boatload of greenbacks. Nothing more and nothing less.
StallionsModelT

Postby ponyboy » Tue Apr 08, 2014 12:32 pm

He didn't come here to break offensive records. He came here to turn around a program that embodied suck, to restore a degree of street cred and success to what may have been the worst program in America for nearly a generation. Four bowl games in six seasons qualifies as a successful turnaround whatever your standards.

Good enough for me and you? Maybe not. But I'm telling you he's not a guy who is motivated by cash. You think that, you don't know him.
ponyboy

Postby Big12Mustang » Tue Apr 08, 2014 12:35 pm

ponyboy wrote:He didn't come here to break offensive records. He came here to turn around a program that embodied suck, to restore a degree of street cred and success to what may have been the worst program in America for nearly a generation. Four bowl games in six seasons qualifies as a successful turnaround whatever your standards.

Good enough for me and you? Maybe not. But I'm telling you he's not a guy who is motivated by cash. You think that, you don't know him.

I believe that. Everyone in DFW knows SMU is "back" in Football but we are not yet "legit". TCU experienced "legit" during their Rose Bowl era (which was their golden age and now it's over) and A&M/BU are going through the "legit" phase. We need a team to be as elite as Aggie and Baylor are right now...that's how you pack Ford and ask for money to expand it to 50k.
Big12Mustang
Hall of Famer

Postby StallionsModelT » Tue Apr 08, 2014 12:51 pm

He didn't come here to break records but he went to Hawaii to break records? No matter how you slice it from an offensive perspective we have been nowhere near as good as productive as his Hawaii teams.
StallionsModelT

Next

Return to Football