PonyFans.comBoard IndexAround the HilltopFootballRecruitingBasketballOther Sports

Sorry, a conference realignment thread

This is the forum for talk about SMU Football

Moderators: PonyPride, SmooPower

Re: Sorry, a conference realignment thread

Postby jpe747 » Tue Apr 08, 2014 3:42 pm

The bottom line is everyone on this board seems to be hoping for the next level. Quite frankly I don't care if it is JJ or someone else that takes us there. I want 8 to 10 wins a year...every year. Easier said then done...but that's where I'm at. It's frustrating to feel more can be done when we have so far to go.
jpe747
Heisman

Postby blackoutpony » Tue Apr 08, 2014 4:05 pm

Big12Mustang wrote:
I believe we can build teams that can win national championships in Football and Basketball

I believe that we can be part of a power conference and roll with the "big dogs"

I believe we can have facilities that rival anything the big programs have

I Believe we can come back and give UT a big F U by beating them multiple times in their stadium, making TCU our permanent beatch in everything and embarrasing the rest of the Big 12 conference in everything

I believe we can become a Stanford/USC type institution, catch up both academically and athletically.

You don't believe in any of that. You limit yourself and our school. Sadly, many fans think like you...and that is why all our sports will fail

I believe you have taken too many hallucinogens over the course of the past 6 months. Could that all happen one day? Sure, we may even be able to make pigs fly with the right genetic splicing. Is that going to happen right now or anytime soon? Nope. I use Stanford as a perfect example of what we should strive to be all the time, so I have no idea what you're talking about.
BOP - Providing insensitivity training for a politically correct world since 1989.
blackoutpony
PonyFans.com Legend

Postby PonySnob » Tue Apr 08, 2014 4:19 pm

Big12Mustang wrote:
ponyboy wrote:
East Coast Mustang wrote:If he exceeds expectations, we make it to a bowl and "sniff being ranked" to end the season, why would this be June's last year?

Because he builds programs, he doesn't sustain them. He's a guy who takes joy in doing things in a very odd way and as is tired and bored of us as we are of him. He left Hawaii at the top for a very real reason having nothing to do with lack of commitment from the university. He was bored. He may do the same with us, take us to a totally unexpected level in his last year.

2005 Warriors go 5-7, 2006 bounce back to 11-3 and 2007 goes 12-1.

He has done it before...

Look at that cupcake schedule in 2007..........
Peruna is my mascot!
PonySnob
PonyFans.com Super Legend

Postby Big12Mustang » Tue Apr 08, 2014 6:55 pm

blackoutpony wrote:
Big12Mustang wrote:
I believe we can build teams that can win national championships in Football and Basketball

I believe that we can be part of a power conference and roll with the "big dogs"

I believe we can have facilities that rival anything the big programs have

I Believe we can come back and give UT a big F U by beating them multiple times in their stadium, making TCU our permanent beatch in everything and embarrasing the rest of the Big 12 conference in everything

I believe we can become a Stanford/USC type institution, catch up both academically and athletically.

You don't believe in any of that. You limit yourself and our school. Sadly, many fans think like you...and that is why all our sports will fail

I believe you have taken too many hallucinogens over the course of the past 6 months. Could that all happen one day? Sure, we may even be able to make pigs fly with the right genetic splicing. Is that going to happen right now or anytime soon? Nope. I use Stanford as a perfect example of what we should strive to be all the time, so I have no idea what you're talking about.

When did I ever say that this has to happen immediately? A move to a big boy conference will minimum take 10 years when they renegotiate TV contracts and GORs. Long term vision buddy.
Big12Mustang
Hall of Famer

Postby CoxMustangFan » Tue Apr 08, 2014 9:21 pm

Had an event with a CoC member tonight. While he has a strong and noted lean towards academics, we had better figure out how to get the athletic program in the black before we worry about stadium mods. Yikes.
Pony up!
CoxMustangFan
Hall of Famer

Postby East Coast Mustang » Tue Apr 08, 2014 9:23 pm

CoxMustangFan wrote:Had an event with a CoC member tonight. While he has a strong and noted lean towards academics, we had better figure out how to get the athletic program in the black before we worry about stadium mods. Yikes.

Athletic Dept running a big deficit right now?
2005 PonyFans.com Rookie of the Year Award Recipient
East Coast Mustang

Postby CoxMustangFan » Tue Apr 08, 2014 9:27 pm

East Coast Mustang wrote:
CoxMustangFan wrote:Had an event with a CoC member tonight. While he has a strong and noted lean towards academics, we had better figure out how to get the athletic program in the black before we worry about stadium mods. Yikes.

$5-6m, but I guess that doesn't include JJ salary funding (which I guess has not been funded yet).
Pony up!
CoxMustangFan
Hall of Famer

Postby East Coast Mustang » Tue Apr 08, 2014 9:38 pm

Have to think next year will be better- sold out Moody for every game at higher prices, and A&M/TCU home football games.
2005 PonyFans.com Rookie of the Year Award Recipient
East Coast Mustang

Sorry, a conference realignment thread

Postby CalallenStang » Tue Apr 08, 2014 9:39 pm

CoxMustangFan wrote:
East Coast Mustang wrote:

$5-6m, but I guess that doesn't include JJ salary funding (which I guess has not been funded yet).

That is what we run as a standard deficit (minus the scholarship "expenses") - nothing out of the ordinary at SMU. The new TV contract was supposed to deliver that money, but then our conference blew up further and was stripped of power conference status.

NCAA tourney credits from the conference will help quite a bit, though. And so will our new revenue streams from selling out Moody, selling beer, and ending free basketball parking. None of that has been reported yet and the $5-$6 mil figure will be less this year.
CalallenStang

Postby ponyboy » Wed Apr 09, 2014 9:45 am

EVERYBODY runs deficits
ponyboy

Postby mrydel » Wed Apr 09, 2014 9:50 am

I thought it was agreed to leave our wives out of discussions.
All those who believe in psycho kinesis, raise my hand
mrydel

Postby ponyboy » Wed Apr 09, 2014 9:56 am

My bad, haha
ponyboy

Postby Greenwich Pony » Wed Apr 09, 2014 1:03 pm

I think the bottom line is this: If the administration, donors and fans support this program, the community will follow. Larry Brown has demonstrated that we are very viable in basketball, and can quickly gather community support, and run with the big boys in a revenue sport.

Like him or not, June Jones has demonstrated that we are not moribund in football either. A good X's and 0's coach can win here, and if we had someone who actually put effort into recruiting I don't think regular 8-9 win seasons are unreasonable; and those records will bring more Dallas fans and more Dallas TV sets, which make us better looking to conferences.

If we continue to draw basketball excitement, and can get both sides of the equation in football (Coaching AND recruiting) for 3-4 years, add the Dallas location, academics, etc. and we can and should be able to compete in a bigger conference and be much more desirable. The question is, will we fix football in time? There, the jury is still out.

I think a stronger national P.R. effort would also be a cost-effective way to help with the strength of the brand, but that's a thread for another day.
Support the Commitment! We're all SMU Mustangs fans- we should all be committed!
Greenwich Pony
Varsity

Postby EastStang » Thu Apr 10, 2014 8:30 am

Right now our best bet is to lead the building and branding of the AAC. Do you think the BE teams at this point regret their choice when 5 AAC teams were in the Top 25 and two only BE teams in hoops? We will have teams in or near the following markets. Dallas, Houston, NY, Philly, DC, Cincinnati, Raleigh, Memphis, Orlando, Tampa, New Orleans, and Tulsa. Navy has a national fan base as well. With Maryland leaving the ACC in football and heading to the Big Ten along with Rutgers. We now will be competing for fans with the ACC, B1G, SEC, Big XII. The good news is that conference brand loyalty is gone. WVU hasn't found a natural rival in the Big XII. Maryland has to replace its rivalry with UVA and UNC with whom? Rutgers lost its rivalry with Syracuse and who will take their place? So, how do we do this? Win OOC games, its that simple. We play TCU every year. We play teams like Baylor, A&M, Tech. We need to win those games. Temple plays PSU and Pitt. Part of the Rutgers, BC, Syracuse deals was that they had to play games with UConn, Cincy, USF. UCF seems to get an SEC team every year. ECU gets an ACC team every year. Tulane gets LSU every year. Navy gets ND every year. The only way the conference survives is to raise the level of play and win our OOC game. If we can do that, then games will get viewship in these metro areas, fans will start to come to games, and then we'll be a threat to the Big XII, SEC, B1G, and ACC. When that happens, the Mafia way is to either whack the interloper (by raiding our conference) or the Machiavellian way to invite us to the table. Is it a dream, yes. But we have to play the hand we're dealt. Memphis, UH, UConn, Cincy, Temple, UCF, USF, ECU have very few recruiting restrictions. Tulsa, SMU, and Tulane have to please the faculty to some degree, but have lots to offer recruits.
UNC better keep that Ram away from Peruna
EastStang

Postby Big12Mustang » Thu Apr 10, 2014 7:34 pm

EastStang wrote:Right now our best bet is to lead the building and branding of the AAC. Do you think the BE teams at this point regret their choice when 5 AAC teams were in the Top 25 and two only BE teams in hoops? We will have teams in or near the following markets. Dallas, Houston, NY, Philly, DC, Cincinnati, Raleigh, Memphis, Orlando, Tampa, New Orleans, and Tulsa. Navy has a national fan base as well. With Maryland leaving the ACC in football and heading to the Big Ten along with Rutgers. We now will be competing for fans with the ACC, B1G, SEC, Big XII. The good news is that conference brand loyalty is gone. WVU hasn't found a natural rival in the Big XII. Maryland has to replace its rivalry with UVA and UNC with whom? Rutgers lost its rivalry with Syracuse and who will take their place? So, how do we do this? Win OOC games, its that simple. We play TCU every year. We play teams like Baylor, A&M, Tech. We need to win those games. Temple plays PSU and Pitt. Part of the Rutgers, BC, Syracuse deals was that they had to play games with UConn, Cincy, USF. UCF seems to get an SEC team every year. ECU gets an ACC team every year. Tulane gets LSU every year. Navy gets ND every year. The only way the conference survives is to raise the level of play and win our OOC game. If we can do that, then games will get viewship in these metro areas, fans will start to come to games, and then we'll be a threat to the Big XII, SEC, B1G, and ACC. When that happens, the Mafia way is to either whack the interloper (by raiding our conference) or the Machiavellian way to invite us to the table. Is it a dream, yes. But we have to play the hand we're dealt. Memphis, UH, UConn, Cincy, Temple, UCF, USF, ECU have very few recruiting restrictions. Tulsa, SMU, and Tulane have to please the faculty to some degree, but have lots to offer recruits.

I like this 8)
Big12Mustang
Hall of Famer

PreviousNext

Return to Football