PonyFans.comBoard IndexAround the HilltopFootballRecruitingBasketballOther Sports

Beau knows … a new position?

This is the forum for talk about SMU Football

Moderators: PonyPride, SmooPower

Beau knows … a new position?

Postby PonyPride » Tue Apr 08, 2014 3:47 pm

During the latter part of SMU's spring workouts, the coaches experimented with playing defensive end Beau Barnes at linebacker. Barnes visited with PonyFans.com to discuss the move, what he thinks the biggest adjustment would be, and whether he thinks the move will last when the team reconvenes in August for preseason workouts.

To read this story, please check the link on our home page: http://www.PonyFans.com

Enjoy!

Webmasters
PonyFans.com

Reminder: Due to a change in PonyFans.com's relationship with our ad serving company, please access all PonyFans.com stories and videos via the home page, rather than copying the direct link to the message boards. Doing so allows the ads to benefit the site more, thereby allowing us to continue to operate this site at no charge to our readers.
PonyFans.com ... is really the premier place for Mustang talk on the Web.
New York Times

https://www.facebook.com/PonyFanscom/

twitter.com/PonyFans

https://www.instagram.com/ponyfans_staff/
PonyPride
PonyFans.com Super Legend

Re: Beau knows … a new position?

Postby East Coast Mustang » Tue Apr 08, 2014 8:52 pm

Optimistic take on this: Minor is showing out at DE and it's the best way to keep the best personnel on the field

Pessimistic: Sanders ankle won't be ready for 2014 and he'll RS, and/or the LB depth is just horrible
2005 PonyFans.com Rookie of the Year Award Recipient
East Coast Mustang

Postby dirtysouthpony » Wed Apr 09, 2014 2:37 am

I agree with East Coast. I think Minor will break out this year. Beau was awesome last year. This move will allow us to have another beast on the field.
dirtysouthpony
Varsity

Postby No Quarter » Thu Apr 10, 2014 1:55 pm

I certainly agree with those who hope that moving Beau Barnes to LB is viable and puts our best eleven on the field. But I have a couple of questions.

How, if at all, will the availability of Pope this next season affect this move?

And I keep hearing that our DL will be two or three deep this fall. But in what conference would they be competitive? I take it that that the comparison is not to the top teams in any P5 conference, so are we talking about a group that can hold its own in the AAC, MAC, MWC or WAC or what?
No Quarter
Heisman

Postby dirtysouthpony » Thu Apr 10, 2014 4:31 pm

Beau and Zack were really productive last year if we use sacks as a yardstick. Minor is a bull who was a dominant force in the Houston high school ranks, so he has the pedigree to be a star. He also paid his dues last year. Now it's time to turn him loose.

Everyone likes to crap on this assessment, but this defense did an admirable job against a UCF team that went on to win a BCS bowl game. I don't know how they would measure up against the P5, but I would say that our defense would be in the top half of the AAC. The defensive backs will be a question mark. The bigger issue is going to be the offense. Will we be able to run the ball to convert on 3rd and short? That helps defense immensely.
dirtysouthpony
Varsity

Postby East Coast Mustang » Thu Apr 10, 2014 5:17 pm

I almost think Pope would be better utilized as a LB than a RB if he gets another year, since we will have Nlemchi, Line, and Gresham at RB. Inside LB depth is not as strong, unless you move Yenga back to ILB and/or Mike Mitchell transfers here
2005 PonyFans.com Rookie of the Year Award Recipient
East Coast Mustang

Postby Silk » Thu Apr 10, 2014 6:06 pm

I thought PP wrote something about Yenga moving back inside, and maybe even playing Sanders inside in some packages.
Silk
Varsity

Postby Stallion » Fri May 16, 2014 2:40 pm

how would you know-you just registered as a Ponyfan member after NOON today? And yet you already have members who you dislike?
"With a quarter of a tank of gas, we can get everything we need right here in DFW." -SMU Head Coach Chad Morris

When momentum starts rolling downhill in recruiting-WATCH OUT.
Stallion

Postby Grant Carter » Fri May 16, 2014 2:53 pm

?
Grant Carter
Hall of Famer

Postby PK » Fri May 16, 2014 3:16 pm

Grant Carter wrote:?

Must have been a bad night for Stallion at Red River last night. :lol:
SMU's first president, Robert S. Hyer, selected Harvard Crimson and Yale Blue as SMU's colors to symbolize SMU's high academic standards. We are one of the few Universities to have school colors with real meaning...and we just blow them off.
PK

Postby cutter » Fri May 16, 2014 5:40 pm

don't do drugs.
cutter
Hall of Famer

Return to Football