PonyFans.comBoard IndexAround the HilltopFootballRecruitingBasketballOther Sports

SID: Are we doing any cool Football posters for 2014?

This is the forum for talk about SMU Football

Moderators: PonyPride, SmooPower

SID: Are we doing any cool Football posters for 2014?

Postby Big12Mustang » Thu Apr 10, 2014 5:57 pm

TCU is doing one. Friend of mine showed me this on the TCU twitter:
I doubt the Frogs are the only ones doing them, BU and TT will probably have some out there

Frogs 2014 Schedule in a cool holographic poster

TTU poster for 2013...surely a 2014 version will come soon
Big12Mustang
Hall of Famer

Re: SID: Are we doing any cool Football posters for 2014?

Postby StallionsModelT » Thu Apr 10, 2014 6:10 pm

I think our poster will just be a picture of an overhead projector.
Back off Warchild seriously.
StallionsModelT
PonyFans.com Super Legend

Postby Silk » Thu Apr 10, 2014 6:14 pm

Woooooooooo!!! Good one! And so original!

Those jokes weren't funny years ago. Now they're just tired and embarrassing. Rehashing the same stupid jokes about our own team makes all of us, as a fan base, look bad, like a bunch of crybabies. Get over it and move on.
Silk
Varsity

Postby couch 'em » Thu Apr 10, 2014 6:20 pm

No point in spending money on a throwaway year. You'll see bare minimum in that department. Better to save it fir hooos
"I think Couchem is right."
-EVERYONE
couch 'em

Postby birddogger » Thu Apr 10, 2014 6:21 pm

Maybe we could recycle this one. It might be accurate:

Just kidding. Just kidding.
birddogger
All-American

Postby sbsmith » Thu Apr 10, 2014 6:58 pm

StallionsModelT wrote:I think our poster will just be a picture of an overhead projector.

Or a picture of June on the sidelines staring off into space (The End is Nigh: 2014 SMU Football)
They who would give up an essential liberty for temporary security, deserve neither liberty or security

-Benjamin Franklin
sbsmith

Postby Bergermeister » Thu Apr 10, 2014 8:48 pm

Save the $$ for: "____________ Cometh"?
Bergermeister

Postby PonySnob » Thu Apr 10, 2014 10:07 pm

Bergermeister wrote:Save the $$ for: "____________ Cometh"?

AppleBowden
Peruna is my mascot!
PonySnob

Postby PonyTime » Fri Apr 11, 2014 9:04 am

Silk wrote:Woooooooooo!!! Good one! And so original!

Those jokes weren't funny years ago. Now they're just tired and embarrassing. Rehashing the same stupid jokes about our own team makes all of us, as a fan base, look bad, like a bunch of crybabies. Get over it and move on.

I'm with you Silk. The joke is not funny anymore. Every time someone posts that crap the joke is on us - the University, the alumni and the entire fan base.

Go read PonyPride's response to the question about June's attitude here:

http://www.ponyfans.com/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=72305&p=1012736#p1012736

Whoever on this board who claims to have more access than PonyPride and a closer view of the situation, please respond with your rebuttal to the comments in the above thread.

I think that we do a poster every year - at least as far back as I can remember (1991).
"Moral Victories Make Me Sick" - TR

PonyTime
PonyFans.com Legend

Postby blackoutpony » Fri Apr 11, 2014 1:21 pm

Why don't you email the SID and then let us know if a poster is really something that you think is of concern or interest.

Honestly though, who gives a flying duck about a holographic poster if your team is garbage
BOP - Providing insensitivity training for a politically correct world since 1989.
blackoutpony
PonyFans.com Legend

Postby Big12Mustang » Fri Apr 11, 2014 1:22 pm

ImageImageImageImage
Big12Mustang
Hall of Famer

Postby Big12Mustang » Fri Apr 11, 2014 1:26 pm

blackoutpony wrote:Why don't you email the SID and then let us know if a poster is really something that you think is of concern or interest.

Honestly though, who gives a flying duck about a holographic poster if your team is garbage

Having a team that is "garbage" doesn't excuse an athletic department from its duty of marketing our sports in a way that is competitive with our regional and conference rivals. See above what our Big 12 and AAC rivals are doing.
You still need to market and change the perception people have on a team they haven't seen take the field yet. It only takes 1 or 2 things to go wrong or right on the field to change an entire season. It could either be a disaster or a dream season so I think the building up of hype has to be there.

I want people to be pumped for Football so that we can bring a decent amount of people to Waco and Denton and bring way more fans than Texas A&M and TCU to our own house.

We are not/will never be a basketball school...so might as well start working towards fixing Football.
Big12Mustang
Hall of Famer

Postby blackoutpony » Fri Apr 11, 2014 2:02 pm

Big12Mustang wrote:
We are not/will never be a basketball school...so might as well start working towards fixing Football.

:roll: I know we just "tried" to make peace, but this might be the dumbest thing you've ever said after the basketball season we just had.

Did you attend a game in person? Moody blew my mind this year. I never thought I would see that kind of fandom from SMU. I think we sold out 8 games this year out of 11 at Moody with OUR fans and not the opponents for once. The only game in my time as a SMUer that I can remember being sold out at Ford where it was clearly dominated by SMU fans, and not 30%+ of the other team, was the SFA game in 2009.

What do you mean we'll never be a basketball school? Dude, right now, that's all we are.
BOP - Providing insensitivity training for a politically correct world since 1989.
blackoutpony
PonyFans.com Legend

Postby Big12Mustang » Fri Apr 11, 2014 2:47 pm

blackoutpony wrote:
Big12Mustang wrote:

:roll: I know we just "tried" to make peace, but this might be the dumbest thing you've ever said after the basketball season we just had.

Did you attend a game in person? Moody blew my mind this year. I never thought I would see that kind of fandom from SMU. I think we sold out 8 games this year out of 11 at Moody with OUR fans and not the opponents for once. The only game in my time as a SMUer that I can remember being sold out at Ford where it was clearly dominated by SMU fans, and not 30%+ of the other team, was the SFA game in 2009.

What do you mean we'll never be a basketball school? Dude, right now, that's all we are.

Basketball school as in basketball being the only sport our fans come out to support and football taking the backseat forever. Texas is a football state, so I would prefer a million times we are considered a football school and make that a priority...even with an elite basketball team, I still think football should get a lot of love from the fans. Should we fire June and get a badarse coach that can take us to the big time? YES!

I went to every single home game at Moody for the season and the NIT. I love the atmosphere. I want us to duplicate that in Ford Stadium. I know it will take winning and most likely a change of the guard in coaching.

Being a basketball school, lowers the school's prestige and status in athletics vs. rivals that focus in football such as TCU, Texas, Texas A&M, Tech, Baylor. We don't want to be seen as being at the level of non P5 schools like Creighton, Xavier, Georgetown, Gonzaga etc. We need to strive towards P5 inclusion, not exclusion, and football steers the ship.

That's why I say we will never/should never be a basketball school.
Big12Mustang
Hall of Famer

Postby HorsePower » Fri Apr 11, 2014 3:50 pm

We do posters every year. Sometimes they're great, sometimes they're not.
Non-issue.
Go Mustangs.
HorsePower
Heisman

Next

Return to Football