PonyFans.comBoard IndexAround the HilltopFootballRecruitingBasketballOther Sports

Which college teams have championship-grade recruiting?

This is the forum for talk about SMU Football

Moderators: PonyPride, SmooPower

Which college teams have championship-grade recruiting?

Postby Big12Mustang » Sun Apr 13, 2014 7:40 pm

http://www.sbnation.com/college-footbal ... mpionships

Great read!

Interesting take on midmajor recruiting:
The top teams: Boise State, BYU, Marshall, Cincinnati, East Carolina, San Diego State, Houston, UConn, UCF, and USF.

Mid-majors rarely sign elite recruits. If we counted all the teams in all five non-power conferences (the American, Conference USA, the MAC, the Mountain West, and the Sun Belt, plus independents besides Notre Dame), that 1.6 percent blue-chip rate would shrink to near zero. In the 2014 class, only three teams in those five conferences signed four-stars, and only one each (Boise State, Marshall, and UCF).

Fans of these teams sometimes say that recruiting services ignore their players and that they are as good as any. One could point to counter-examples like Utah and TCU, which dominated the second circuit for years before joining BCS conferences and tanking.

Our short term goal should be to be part of those schools in that list of midmajors.
Big12Mustang
Hall of Famer

Re: Which college teams have championship-grade recruiting?

Postby blackoutpony » Sun Apr 13, 2014 8:36 pm

2 month old article that I believe was posted, I dont know, 2 months ago.
BOP - Providing insensitivity training for a politically correct world since 1989.
blackoutpony
PonyFans.com Legend

Postby East Coast Mustang » Sun Apr 13, 2014 9:11 pm

BOP- It's like FTHP/B12Mustang understood our advice and decided to do the exact opposite
2005 PonyFans.com Rookie of the Year Award Recipient
East Coast Mustang
PonyFans.com Super Legend

Postby Big12Mustang » Sun Apr 13, 2014 9:17 pm

blackoutpony wrote:2 month old article that I believe was posted, I dont know, 2 months ago.

Did not know about that. My bad.
Big12Mustang
Hall of Famer

Postby Big12Mustang » Sun Apr 13, 2014 9:28 pm

East Coast Mustang wrote:BOP- It's like FTHP/B12Mustang understood our advice and decided to do the exact opposite

I did not know that this exact article was posted several months ago. I thought it was interesting and decided to share with everyone here.
Big12Mustang
Hall of Famer

Postby JoeKidd » Mon Apr 14, 2014 7:58 am

Big12Mustang wrote:
East Coast Mustang wrote:BOP- It's like FTHP/B12Mustang understood our advice and decided to do the exact opposite

I did not know that this exact article was posted several months ago. I thought it was interesting and decided to share with everyone here.

I hadn't seen the article prior and thought it was a good read. This was a postworthy thread Big12.
#1 Day At A Time
JoeKidd
Heisman

Postby fifty » Mon Apr 14, 2014 9:12 am

It seems to me that USF seems to have great recruiting and not so great coaching. Maybe we should try to hire one or two of their recruiting guys. I guess that would make too much sense to have recruiting strength in FL (or CA or TX for that matter).
fifty
Heisman

Postby ponyboy » Mon Apr 14, 2014 9:28 am

Good read. Thanks Big12Mustang
ponyboy
PonyFans.com Super Legend

Postby Big12Mustang » Mon Apr 14, 2014 9:31 am

fifty wrote:It seems to me that USF seems to have great recruiting and not so great coaching. Maybe we should try to hire one or two of their recruiting guys. I guess that would make too much sense to have recruiting strength in FL (or CA or TX for that matter).

Florida does have a ton of talent. I see it as a blessing that we have UCF and USF in our conference...great teams to start rivalries with and further our recruiting efforts in that state.
Big12Mustang
Hall of Famer

Return to Football