PonyFans.comBoard IndexAround the HilltopFootballRecruitingBasketballOther Sports

Projected Preseason AP Top 25 by P. Steele

This is the forum for talk about SMU Football

Moderators: PonyPride, SmooPower

Projected Preseason AP Top 25 by P. Steele

Postby Cheesesteak » Mon Apr 14, 2014 5:32 pm

Baylor, Texas A&M, and UCF from our schedule are listed.
http://www.philsteele.com/Blogs/2014/APR14/DBApr14.html
Cheesesteak
All-American

Re: Projected Preseason AP Top 25 by P. Steele

Postby dirtysouthpony » Mon Apr 14, 2014 6:08 pm

We should be able to compete with all of these teams... in theory. Manziel beat us for the past two years. We hung with UCF while using a freshman qb in his second start. This UCF team barely beat Temple last year. Knights will be tougher at home though.
dirtysouthpony
Varsity

Postby whitwiki » Mon Apr 14, 2014 6:17 pm

I've seen the UCF argument a lot. They weren't trying.... It was frozen and the game meant nothing to them. It is not a good barometer of our team. At all. Let's stop sounding pathetic by saying we hung with them.
whitwiki
Heisman

Postby Big12Mustang » Mon Apr 14, 2014 8:35 pm

whitwiki wrote:I've seen the UCF argument a lot. They weren't trying.... It was frozen and the game meant nothing to them. It is not a good barometer of our team. At all. Let's stop sounding pathetic by saying we hung with them.

I am sure going into the Fiesta Bowl with a loss to a middle of the road AAC team would be something UCF would have enjoyed.

This is probably one of the stupidest things I have read today...
Big12Mustang
Hall of Famer

Postby mrydel » Mon Apr 14, 2014 8:42 pm

Big12Mustang wrote:
whitwiki wrote:I've seen the UCF argument a lot. They weren't trying.... It was frozen and the game meant nothing to them. It is not a good barometer of our team. At all. Let's stop sounding pathetic by saying we hung with them.

I am sure going into the Fiesta Bowl with a loss to a middle of the road AAC team would be something UCF would have enjoyed.

Whitwiki is exactly right. UCF had no reason to risk anything. Most had never seen snow or ice like we had. They had no desire to risk injury. And they certainly did not have the intense burn that it takes to be best prepared to play a game. Anyone that thinks we matched up against a fully inspired UCF team has never played the game before.
All those who believe in psycho kinesis, raise my hand
mrydel
PonyFans.com Super Legend

Postby whitwiki » Mon Apr 14, 2014 8:44 pm

No, the stupidity is somehow applying the transitive property of sucking to convince ourselves that we could hang with Baylor because we only barely lost to Ucf with a freshman qb in a winter storm in a meaningless game in front of 1000 people. They would've been mad to get a loss, but it would not have affected their season, at all. They still would have a bcs game win.

Wake up dude. Our football team as currently crafted is a 0.500 team.
whitwiki
Heisman

Postby smusic 00 » Mon Apr 14, 2014 9:00 pm

whitwiki wrote:Wake up dude. Our football team as currently crafted is a 0.500 team.

Sunshiner.
smusic 00

Postby Grant Carter » Mon Apr 14, 2014 9:36 pm

whitwiki wrote:No, the stupidity is somehow applying the transitive property of sucking to convince ourselves that we could hang with Baylor because we only barely lost to Ucf with a freshman qb in a winter storm in a meaningless game in front of 1000 people. They would've been mad to get a loss, but it would not have affected their season, at all. They still would have a bcs game win.

Wake up dude. Our football team as currently crafted is a 0.500 team.

Who applied the transitive property in this thread?
Grant Carter
Hall of Famer

Postby NY Pony » Mon Apr 14, 2014 9:44 pm

smusic 00 wrote:
whitwiki wrote:Wake up dude. Our football team as currently crafted is a 0.500 team.

Sunshiner.

+1. Best. Comeback. Ever. F*€k June.
NY Pony
All-American

Postby dirtysouthpony » Mon Apr 14, 2014 9:52 pm

I don't understand this sentiment that UCF was this unstoppable juggernaut in the confernence last year. They were a last second touchdown away from losing to Temple. No transitive property. The teams in the conference were really evenly matched last season. UCF lucked out and beat the more highly regarded Louisville team. They were ok last year, but not as good as the team from the previous year.

You can't say that they didn't care when they played us becsause they were playing for much bigger stakes, a BCS bowl berth. Bortles didn't show me much in that game. When we saw Manziel, we knew he had next level stuff. You guys bring up the weather arguement. It's not like our kids play in Minnesota. Our kids had to adjust to the cold weather as well.

I'm not necessarily a sunshiner. I just don't think our conference is that great. The top half of the conference is consistently mediocre. We have a decent chance of doing well in our conference. Who is the world beating team in our conference?
dirtysouthpony
Varsity

Postby DanFreibergerForHeisman » Mon Apr 14, 2014 9:54 pm

I wish he listed the others receiving votes so we could see if we are close.
Shake It Off Moody
DanFreibergerForHeisman

Postby sbsmith » Mon Apr 14, 2014 10:13 pm

dirtysouthpony wrote:I don't understand this sentiment that UCF was this unstoppable juggernaut in the confernence last year. They were a last second touchdown away from losing to Temple. No transitive property. The teams in the conference were really evenly matched last season. UCF lucked out and beat the more highly regarded Louisville team. They were ok last year, but not as good as the team from the previous year.

You can't say that they didn't care when they played us becsause they were playing for much bigger stakes, a BCS bowl berth. Bortles didn't show me much in that game. When we saw Manziel, we knew he had next level stuff. You guys bring up the weather arguement. It's not like our kids play in Minnesota. Our kids had to adjust to the cold weather as well.

I'm not necessarily a sunshiner. I just don't think our conference is that great. The top half of the conference is consistently mediocre. We have a decent chance of doing well in our conference. Who is the world beating team in our conference?

Actually they locked up that BCS bowl berth before our game with them so they had little to play for except to stay fresh. Our conference is not that great but we're not that great either, if everything goes right we might hit .500 in conference play.
They who would give up an essential liberty for temporary security, deserve neither liberty or security

-Benjamin Franklin
sbsmith

Postby ojaipony » Tue Apr 15, 2014 12:25 am

sbsmith wrote:
dirtysouthpony wrote:I don't understand this sentiment that UCF was this unstoppable juggernaut in the confernence last year. They were a last second touchdown away from losing to Temple. No transitive property. The teams in the conference were really evenly matched last season. UCF lucked out and beat the more highly regarded Louisville team. They were ok last year, but not as good as the team from the previous year.

Actually they locked up that BCS bowl berth before our game with them so they had little to play for except to stay fresh. Our conference is not that great but we're not that great either, if everything goes right we might hit .500 in conference play.

We are mediocre in a terrible football conference. That about sums it up.

And it's sad. It should be us and UCF/USF duking it out every year for top football dog in the AAC just based on location alone.

Sad.
ojaipony

Postby SMUstangs22 » Tue Apr 15, 2014 6:16 am

Big12Mustang wrote:

You are right. Almost as bad as using the word stupidest...
SMUstangs22
Hall of Famer

Postby Big12Mustang » Tue Apr 15, 2014 6:43 am

ojaipony wrote:
sbsmith wrote:

We are mediocre in a terrible football conference. That about sums it up.

And it's sad. It should be us and UCF/USF duking it out every year for top football dog in the AAC just based on location alone.

Sad.

It will be. Once June is gone :)
Big12Mustang
Hall of Famer

Next

Return to Football