PonyFans.comBoard IndexAround the HilltopFootballRecruitingBasketballOther Sports

ESPN: New TCU Offense

This is the forum for talk about SMU Football

Moderators: PonyPride, SmooPower

ESPN: New TCU Offense

Postby Big12Mustang » Tue Apr 15, 2014 10:47 am

http://espn.go.com/blog/big12/post/_/id ... ying-field

For years, TCU stuck to an offensive philosophy built around trying to out-physical foes and trick them with play action. That style won the Horned Frogs five conference titles while in the Mountain West and Conference USA. They have not won many Big 12 games.

After two years in his new league and a 6-12 record in Big 12 play, TCU coach Gary Patterson knew it was time for a new approach.

“We’re going to a style of offense that I thought evened the playing field,” Patterson said.

He went out and landed a pair of offensive coordinators who know Big 12 ball to design a hybrid Oklahoma State-Texas Tech scheme that Patterson says will still have “some of the old TCU” in the run game.

But this is the new TCU. No playbook, no huddle, no looking back.

Let's see how our team handles this change our biggest rival is going through, when we see them next September.
Big12Mustang
Hall of Famer

Re: ESPN: New TCU Offense

Postby JoeKidd » Tue Apr 15, 2014 11:06 am

First year into a new offense or new defense is always tough for a team to adjust to. I think TCU will have even more problems getting yards this year. I sure would like to beat them again.
#1 Day At A Time
JoeKidd
Heisman

Postby sbsmith » Tue Apr 15, 2014 11:10 am

Uh-oh, we don't do so well against the no-huddle.
They who would give up an essential liberty for temporary security, deserve neither liberty or security

-Benjamin Franklin
sbsmith
PonyFans.com Super Legend

Postby WordUpBU » Tue Apr 15, 2014 12:59 pm

TCU's big issues on offense the last 2 years were OL and QB. The scheme will help a little but the scheme wasn't exactly broken in 2010 or 2011 when they ran essentially the same design.

TCU's lost a lot of key linemen over the last 2 years and it tanked their offense along with losing the only capable pass-first QB they had for 75% of the past 2 years.
WordUpBU
All-American

Postby East Coast Mustang » Tue Apr 15, 2014 1:04 pm

Who is their QB going to be this year? Surely not Boykin but they're pretty young behind him I think,

I've got TCU down for 5-7 this year but beating us at Ford. If they miss another bowl, when do the natives in Ft Worth start getting restless? GP can't recruit with the top tier Big 12 schools and he's not good enough of a coach like Briles to win with inferior talent. GP was in his element when he could whip MWC schools year in and year out and take one or two swings at the big boys each year. I thought when they made the move to the Big 12 he'd be in over his head. I think this is a big year for him and his future trajectory at TCU
2005 PonyFans.com Rookie of the Year Award Recipient
East Coast Mustang

Postby SMU2007 » Tue Apr 15, 2014 1:15 pm

I'd still take if over 5-7 in the sh*tty aac
SMU2007

Postby ReedFrawg » Tue Apr 15, 2014 1:30 pm

East Coast Mustang wrote:Who is their QB going to be this year? Surely not Boykin but they're pretty young behind him I think,

I've got TCU down for 5-7 this year but beating us at Ford. If they miss another bowl, when do the natives in Ft Worth start getting restless? GP can't recruit with the top tier Big 12 schools and he's not good enough of a coach like Briles to win with inferior talent. GP was in his element when he could whip MWC schools year in and year out and take one or two swings at the big boys each year. I thought when they made the move to the Big 12 he'd be in over his head. I think this is a big year for him and his future trajectory at TCU

I don't think 5-7 puts GP on any hot seat. Recruiting for 2015 is off to a strong start and I am willing to chalk up a couple down seasons while adjusting to the Big12. It might be different if we weren't competitive but we could have easily won 8-9 games last year.
ReedFrawg
Heisman

Postby East Coast Mustang » Tue Apr 15, 2014 1:37 pm

ReedFrawg wrote:
East Coast Mustang wrote:Who is their QB going to be this year? Surely not Boykin but they're pretty young behind him I think,

I don't think 5-7 puts GP on any hot seat. Recruiting for 2015 is off to a strong start and I am willing to chalk up a couple down seasons while adjusting to the Big12. It might be different if we weren't competitive but we could have easily won 8-9 games last year.

True, I just think the questions about whether or not he can in a power conference will be amplified if TCU misses a bowl game again. Not to say he hasn't done a tremendous job there, though.
East Coast Mustang

Postby SMU 86 » Tue Apr 15, 2014 2:32 pm

JoeKidd wrote:First year into a new offense or new defense is always tough for a team to adjust to. I think TCU will have even more problems getting yards this year. I sure would like to beat them again.

Aren't we going to the no huddle this tear as well since we hired the coach from the Oregon high school?
"We will play man to man and we will pick you up at the airport." - Larry Brown

________________________Champion________________________
SMU 86

Postby FroggieFever » Tue Apr 15, 2014 4:06 pm

East Coast Mustang wrote:GP can't recruit with the top tier Big 12 schools and he's not good enough of a coach like Briles to win with inferior talent.

2008 Baylor 4–8 2–6 (AB's first year)
2009 Baylor 4–8 1–7 (AB's second year)

Give GP a few years to adjust to the conference.
Go Frogs! Pony Up!
FroggieFever
Heisman

Postby PonyTime » Tue Apr 15, 2014 4:15 pm

"No Playbook":
I would assume that would mean that they would just draw up the plays in the dirt in the huddle - but add in the "no huddle" and I am confused.

"No Huddle"
Suppose that the QB could just call out routes at the line of scrimmage a la Payton Manning - but they don't have Payton Manning.

If this is their new offensive philosophy, I am all for it!
"Moral Victories Make Me Sick" - TR

PonyTime
PonyFans.com Legend

Postby FroggieFever » Tue Apr 15, 2014 4:45 pm

PonyTime wrote:"No Playbook":
I would assume that would mean that they would just draw up the plays in the dirt in the huddle - but add in the "no huddle" and I am confused.

"No Huddle"
Suppose that the QB could just call out routes at the line of scrimmage a la Payton Manning - but they don't have Payton Manning.

If this is their new offensive philosophy, I am all for it!

There is a "playbook" but it isn't 50 pages deep. It's two. The offense, at its' basis, will be incredibly simple, though will allow for variation.
Go Frogs! Pony Up!
FroggieFever
Heisman

Postby Big12Mustang » Tue Apr 15, 2014 4:50 pm

WordUpBU wrote:TCU's big issues on offense the last 2 years were OL and QB. The scheme will help a little but the scheme wasn't exactly broken in 2010 or 2011 when they ran essentially the same design.

TCU's lost a lot of key linemen over the last 2 years and it tanked their offense along with losing the only capable pass-first QB they had for 75% of the past 2 years.

TCU will not be as bad as everybody thinks they will be. We might beat them, we might not.

Man but Baylor is loaded for Bear! I mean coming off of that big Fiesta Bowl win...wait a second...

A.A.C. :lol:
Big12Mustang
Hall of Famer

Postby Fresno Mustang » Tue Apr 15, 2014 5:21 pm

Must be nice to have a coach that sees something isnt working and brings in new talent at the coordinator position to fix it.
SMU Class of 2014
Fresno Mustang
All-American

Postby East Coast Mustang » Tue Apr 15, 2014 5:56 pm

FroggieFever wrote:
East Coast Mustang wrote:GP can't recruit with the top tier Big 12 schools and he's not good enough of a coach like Briles to win with inferior talent.

2008 Baylor 4–8 2–6 (AB's first year)
2009 Baylor 4–8 1–7 (AB's second year)

Give GP a few years to adjust to the conference.

Briles took over a trainwreck of a program at Baylor. GP had been at TCU for like 10 years before joining the Big 12.
East Coast Mustang

Next

Return to Football