PonyFans.comBoard IndexAround the HilltopFootballRecruitingBasketballOther Sports

Does CCG deregulation effectively END realignment??

This is the forum for talk about SMU Football

Moderators: PonyPride, SmooPower

Does CCG deregulation effectively END realignment??

Postby ponyinNC » Tue Apr 15, 2014 1:13 pm

http://www.cbssports.com/collegefootball/writer/dennis-dodd/24526912/expect-acc-to-once-again-play-influential-role-as-playoff-era-begins

CBSSports.com reported the ACC and Big 12 had partnered on NCAA legislation that would change the rules for staging a conference championship game....The so-called deregulation of conference title games would allow leagues to select the teams without the required round-robin divisional play. That becomes an issue as the ACC goes into the second season of 14 members (seven in each division) in football.

“You wouldn't necessarily have to have divisions,” Swofford said.

If this occurs, the B12 really has no reason to add a Cincy or a UConn (although they still may be interested in BYU fo rthe right deal I guess) in order to get the required 12 teams for a CCG. Conferences could have uneven numbers, have roatting conference games, etc.

I think this is the death knell for any more realignment moves personally.
ponyinNC
PonyFans.com Legend

Re: Does CCG deregulation effectively END realignment??

Postby sbsmith » Tue Apr 15, 2014 1:33 pm

As long as there is money to be made from taking another conference's brands realignment will never really end. At best deregulation just delays realignment until the Big 12 and ACC GORs expire. Though you're right about the Big 12 now having no reason to add G5 teams for the purposes of a title game (there was a snowball's chance in Hell that they'd even consider that anyway).
Last edited by sbsmith on Tue Apr 15, 2014 2:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.
They who would give up an essential liberty for temporary security, deserve neither liberty or security

-Benjamin Franklin
sbsmith
PonyFans.com Super Legend

Postby Big12Mustang » Tue Apr 15, 2014 1:49 pm

Will the AAC have a conference championship for next season? (2014)
Big12Mustang
Hall of Famer

Postby ponyinNC » Tue Apr 15, 2014 2:49 pm

I was thinking more in terms of poaching by the "P5" of the AAC. I think this news means that our conference is more stable than ever - B12 has nothing to gain from grabbing Cincy or Uconn (the two programs I see as the most valuable currently).

Personally I'd love to see the AAC last until the other GORs expire - we need the time to improve our football program, stadium, attendance, etc.
ponyinNC
PonyFans.com Legend

Postby sbsmith » Tue Apr 15, 2014 3:13 pm

ponyinNC wrote:I was thinking more in terms of poaching by the "P5" of the AAC. I think this news means that our conference is more stable than ever - B12 has nothing to gain from grabbing Cincy or Uconn (the two programs I see as the most valuable currently).

Personally I'd love to see the AAC last until the other GORs expire - we need the time to improve our football program, stadium, attendance, etc.

The conference is stable for the foreseeable future, of course if any program develops into a lucrative football brand (highly unlikely due to many factors) then they'll probably be poached. But like you said nothing is imminent so this gives us some time to improve the program.
They who would give up an essential liberty for temporary security, deserve neither liberty or security

-Benjamin Franklin
sbsmith

Postby Stallion » Tue Apr 15, 2014 3:13 pm

Yeah I'm sure the Big 12 and ACC would love that and I'm even more sure that the Big 10 and SEC say NO WAY IN HELL

Why should the Big 12 get to split take 10 ways rather than 14 or 16? Why would they want a 1/16th or 1/14th shot at Playoffs when Texas and OU would have relatively easy road. I really doubt this has broad support. I think this is a media trial balloon that will be shot down very quickly. If it did pass you can be damn sure Big 10 and SEC got a MAJOR tradeoff like unlimited number of second qualifiers eligible for playoffs
"With a quarter of a tank of gas, we can get everything we need right here in DFW." -SMU Head Coach Chad Morris

When momentum starts rolling downhill in recruiting-WATCH OUT.
Stallion

Postby ponyinNC » Tue Apr 15, 2014 3:24 pm

Stallion wrote:Yeah I'm sure the Big 12 and ACC would love that and I'm even more sure that the Big 10 and SEC say NO WAY IN HELL

Why should the Big 12 get to split take 10 ways rather than 14 or 16? Why would they want a 1/16th or 1/14th shot at Playoffs when Texas and OU would have relatively easy road. I really doubt this has broad support. I think this is a media trial balloon that will be shot down very quickly. If it did pass you can be damn sure Big 10 and SEC got a MAJOR tradeoff like unlimited number of second qualifiers eligible for playoffs

You might be right, but the article states:

"Deregulation is expected to fly through and could be passed quickly by the NCAA board of directors. Both Swofford and Bowlsby have indicated there is no push-back from other conferences on the measure."
ponyinNC
PonyFans.com Legend

Postby Stallion » Tue Apr 15, 2014 3:28 pm

all that means is that they have agreed to roll over and let the SEC and Big 10 get multiple qualifiers for the 12 Bowl spots-you can be sure it will screw non-BCS conferences somehow. There is another side to this story
"With a quarter of a tank of gas, we can get everything we need right here in DFW." -SMU Head Coach Chad Morris

Stallion

Postby malonish » Tue Apr 15, 2014 3:46 pm

Big12Mustang wrote:Will the AAC have a conference championship for next season? (2014)

I think they have 11 teams next year so no. Army joins 2015 to make it 12.
Leader of the Band-itos.

Mustangsabu wrote:
Malonish! You are the man!

PonyPride:
I think malonish is right

peruna81:
God bless you, malonish.

malonish
PonyFans.com Legend

Postby East Coast Mustang » Tue Apr 15, 2014 3:47 pm

malonish wrote:
Big12Mustang wrote:Will the AAC have a conference championship for next season? (2014)

I think they have 11 teams next year so no. Army joins 2015 to make it 12.

Navy, not Army.
2005 PonyFans.com Rookie of the Year Award Recipient
East Coast Mustang

Postby Stallion » Tue Apr 15, 2014 3:48 pm

you mean Navy joins in 2015. Army is not in the picture

Stallion

Postby ponyinNC » Tue Apr 15, 2014 3:50 pm

Stallion wrote:all that means is that they have agreed to roll over and let the SEC and Big 10 get multiple qualifiers for the 12 Bowl spots-you can be sure it will screw non-BCS conferences somehow. There is another side to this story

I'm sure you are correct. That being said, AAC is still a nice landing spot if all our top teams stay for a long period of time (esp UC, UConn, USF/UCF). We still have the one G5 spot to compete for.
ponyinNC
PonyFans.com Legend

Postby EastStang » Tue Apr 15, 2014 5:18 pm

We add Tulsa, Tulane and ECU next year don't we?
UNC better keep that Ram away from Peruna
EastStang

Postby SMU1523 » Tue Apr 15, 2014 5:22 pm

EastStang wrote:We add Tulsa, Tulane and ECU next year don't we?

And that is when the nice landing spot gets a little rougher...
SMU1523
Heisman

Postby Stallion » Tue Apr 15, 2014 5:23 pm

right but with Rutgers and Louisville leaving that leaves us at 11.

Stallion

Next

Return to Football