PonyFans.comBoard IndexAround the HilltopFootballRecruitingBasketballOther Sports

Does CCG deregulation effectively END realignment??

This is the forum for talk about SMU Football

Moderators: PonyPride, SmooPower

Re: Does CCG deregulation effectively END realignment??

Postby malonish » Tue Apr 15, 2014 7:11 pm

East Coast Mustang wrote:
malonish wrote:
Big12Mustang wrote:Will the AAC have a conference championship for next season? (2014)

I think they have 11 teams next year so no. Army joins 2015 to make it 12.

Navy, not Army.

Fffffffffffffffffff-
Leader of the Band-itos.

Mustangsabu wrote:
Malonish! You are the man!

PonyPride:
I think malonish is right

peruna81:
God bless you, malonish.

malonish
PonyFans.com Legend

Postby ponyinNC » Wed Apr 16, 2014 8:07 am

I could see, if this rule passes, no real divisions within the AAC. We could set up permanent rivalry games -- for us, that'd be UH, Tulane, Tulsa. Then have rotating games against the rest. These 4 team pods could help alleviate travel costs, espcecially for outlier teams like ECU or UConn.
ponyinNC
PonyFans.com Legend

Postby Big12Mustang » Wed Apr 16, 2014 9:42 am

ponyinNC wrote:I could see, if this rule passes, no real divisions within the AAC. We could set up permanent rivalry games -- for us, that'd be UH, Tulane, Tulsa. Then have rotating games against the rest. These 4 team pods could help alleviate travel costs, espcecially for outlier teams like ECU or UConn.

I would actually prefer to have UCF, Cincy and Houston as conference rivals.

TCU, Texas Tech, Baylor will always be our rivals, though.
Big12Mustang
Hall of Famer

Postby ponyinNC » Wed Apr 16, 2014 9:50 am

The American could use this schedule rotation and play nine games:

South:Houston, SMU, Tulsa, Tulane
East: ECU, Navy, USF, UCF
North:Cincinnati, Memphis, Temple, UConn

Play everyone in you pod every season and three teams from the other groups every season. This protects just about every rivalry game and gives all teams a chance for exposure in Texas and Florida.

If the American sticks with eight games, you could go:

North: UConn, Temple, Navy
Southeast: ECU, USF, UCF
Midwest: Memphis, Cincinnati, Tulsa
Southwest: Houston, SMU, Tulane

Saves on travel costs for all teams, which has to be a big factor these days.
ponyinNC
PonyFans.com Legend

Postby StallionsModelT » Wed Apr 16, 2014 10:00 am

I still see a merger of the MWC and The American at some point in the future along with BYU. There are going to be certain years where a MWC team might challenge a team from The American for the top G5 program and have an outside shot at getting into the playoff system if it is ever expanded to more than 4 teams. Also, from a TV perspective adding teams with some brand recognition would benefit. I think we will see the following 14 team conference:

West - SDSU, Fresno State, Boise State, BYU, AFA, SMU, Houston
East - Cincy, Memphis, UCF, USF, Navy, Temple, UConn

That is a conference that would be without question the top G5 conference in football and has the potential to be an outstanding basketball conference. You could have conference football games starting at 10AM CST that wouldn't end until midnight. It really could work.
Back off Warchild seriously.
StallionsModelT
PonyFans.com Super Legend

Postby Big12Mustang » Wed Apr 16, 2014 1:37 pm

StallionsModelT wrote:I still see a merger of the MWC and The American at some point in the future along with BYU. There are going to be certain years where a MWC team might challenge a team from The American for the top G5 program and have an outside shot at getting into the playoff system if it is ever expanded to more than 4 teams. Also, from a TV perspective adding teams with some brand recognition would benefit. I think we will see the following 14 team conference:

That is a conference that would be without question the top G5 conference in football and has the potential to be an outstanding basketball conference. You could have conference football games starting at 10AM CST that wouldn't end until midnight. It really could work.

Now that is what I call a real conference!
Big12Mustang
Hall of Famer

Postby East Coast Mustang » Wed Apr 16, 2014 1:38 pm

StallionsModelT wrote:I still see a merger of the MWC and The American at some point in the future along with BYU. There are going to be certain years where a MWC team might challenge a team from The American for the top G5 program and have an outside shot at getting into the playoff system if it is ever expanded to more than 4 teams. Also, from a TV perspective adding teams with some brand recognition would benefit. I think we will see the following 14 team conference:

Bad thing about this is we would be in the West division and have a lot of road games in that super late slot that dont get much exposure. Not that our games do now anyways, but you get my drift....

That would be a solid conference, though.
2005 PonyFans.com Rookie of the Year Award Recipient
East Coast Mustang

Postby EastStang » Wed Apr 16, 2014 4:28 pm

I personally have no interest in the MWC. They just leave me cold. Late games. No real rivalries there. AAC is a step up from CUSA. Adding AFA would be nice and perhaps SDSU and UNLV. But lets not forget this is the gang of five that hosed us when they had the chance.
UNC better keep that Ram away from Peruna
EastStang

Previous

Return to Football