PonyFans.comBoard IndexAround the HilltopFootballRecruitingBasketballOther Sports

SMU vs K-State

This is the forum for talk about SMU Football

Moderators: PonyPride, SmooPower

SMU vs K-State

Postby mustangs2001 » Fri Jun 15, 2001 6:05 pm

This is a great opportunity for SMU to show some of their talent on national T.V. And yes, we do have some great talent.Our defense is a great starting point since this is our strength, lets show it. We now have depth on defense in all positions. My take would be that we alternate subbing positions on defense to keep guys fresh especially DB,DE and LB, and concentrate on sacks and turn-overs. That alone will win games.All it takes is a few big plays and you break KSU's spirit. The big question is get the big o-linemen tougher in the next 6 weeks. Keep Briggs healthy, Luker confident in himself and teamates, and ready to set some passing records that match his high school greatness.Control behavior and don't over work the team is crucial. Build confidence, more confidence, leadership,team spirit unity and most important practice to be perfect.Believe you can win! and you will!Go Mustangs!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
mustangs2001

Re: SMU vs K-State

Postby ponytalk » Sat Jun 16, 2001 12:20 am

OK people. Here is the PONYTALK take on this game. I am going to apologize to my friends who I have spoken to on the phone. We talked about this game for a while and some of these ideas and situations are not all generated by the PONYTALK.

<B>THE PROS</B>
<UL TYPE=SQUARE><LI>MONEY MONEY MONEY MONEY...MONEY. People will do a lot for that mean green.(you know how the song goes) This game offer could not have come at a better time. SMU is hurting big time financially...especially athletics. I used to like Turner, but this ****ing people soft bull**** turned me away. And then he goes and cuts athletics budgets and fires Cantrell and Howard. TURNER, they did not make some lousy decision to implement people soft, that was you, so you should take a pay cut, not fire them. Sorry for the tangent but that really pisses me off. We need this money big time and from what I hear it is a pretty nice sum. Now what we need to do is make sure Turner does not steal it and spend it on another software program or some trip to South America.
<LI>National TV exposure. When was the last time SMU played on national TV? We need this to help spread our name, blowout or no blowout. I would not mind if the station sent cameras to another game and cut off ours if it is a big time blowout, but beggars cannot be choosers. This will also put us on ESPN and the other sporting news channels because they will be showing highlights of a big time team.
<LI>Recruiting. Recruits like to play big teams whether they get blown out or not. Wouldn't you rather play KSU and loose than play Boise State and have it be a good game? Hey, at least there will be people there!
<LI>This will be the first game of the season and we will have practiced for this for three weeks and SHOULD be motivated. Look how we did versus Kansas and Arkansas. We seem to do decent in openers.
<LI>The chance of upset or close to! Enough said!
</UL>

<B>THE CONS</B>
<UL TYPE=SQUARE><LI>I N J U R Y. We have always struggled with this, but this could be a problem. The good part to this is we play our conference games later in the season so there is healing time.
<LI>Lack of or wrong motivation. This board talked about the motivation techniques (or lack thereof) in the Cavan administration. I think the pre-game speech and actions will determine our performance in this game. From what I hear when we played NC State, we (in the locker room) were expecting to get slaughtered. We need to come into this game with the mentality that it is a strong great team but they are beatable. None of this “no pressure” or “fight through” bull****, we really have nothing to lose so whip some [deleted].
<LI>KSU will also have three weeks to prepare for this so that is a definite flaw in the above “pro.”<LI>A blow out. This is what I will bet on and this will not be good but at least we have the money!
</UL>

<B>THE GAMEPLAN</B>
<UL TYPE=SQUARE><LI>Come out swinging and come out throwing. We need to try and put some serious numbers on the board and quick. Our O and D lines will not be able to fight it out toe to toe with KSU’s big men. We need to put up some serious point early and hope that caries us for a half or ¾’s of the game. The Briggs plan that Kueck and Cavan love so much will last us about 2 minutes. We need all 11-13 targets given the ball.
<LI>We need to try and hang in the game for the majority. If they blow us out in the fourth, that is fine with me, but 2 ½ - 3 great quarters of football is a victory in my mind.
<LI>Hire a speaker before the game to get the mentality right in these guys minds. We cannot come out mesmerized and in awe of the crowd and aura of national TV and a top ranked team.
<LI>Health. We need to control our injuries during two a days. This is crucial. We have little depth right now and we cannot afford to get any shallower.
<LI>Play calling. This lost a crucial game last year versus UofH. Like I said, Briggs will not work against KSU.
<LI>Turnover control. We must not get interception happy and give the game to them. Lets not make it any harder on ourselves than it already is.
<LI>Lets just hope that K-State looks us over and we come in fired up. The stage is set. National TV, K-State. As my friend Grider reminded me—UCLA in 1994 (I think that was the year)
<LI>We do not have to win this game. All we need to do is keep it close for a long time. That is a victory. That is what makes us better. That will give us confidence.
</UL>

<B>THE LAST WORD</B> (sorry Jimmy Rome)
SMU is capable—barring a healthy team. We can keep this game close. In my opinion the success or failure of this game is in the coaches hands and I will blame them (wait and see) or applaud them whichever way this game goes. The coaches a capable scouters—they will have the team ready as far as strategy is concerned. What our coaches seem to lack is the motivational/disciplinary skills. This is where they come into play. They need to have the Ponies READY to play. This is crucial. If I were the coaches I would start preparing mentally for this game TODAY!

I will probably think of some more to say as the week progresses, but in the mean time, think about what I have said.

I have a couple of questions to ask and I would love responses:

<B>1-When was the last nationally televised game SMU played?

2-Would someone who is knowledgeable about the Big 12 or K-State please match us up against them and tell us—strategically—what the match up looks like and what it will take to win.</B>

<I>Beat (or compete) K-State!</I>
ponytalk
Varsity

Re: SMU vs K-State

Postby windjam » Sat Jun 16, 2001 8:41 am

I hope the SMU KSU game happens.

Being a follower of Wesley I have followed and admired SMU football for years.

(I also believe a little of my collection plate money has traveled to Dallas also)

However, I am a KSU alum, and a SMU admirer.

If the KSU game does happen it is a good road trip to Manhattan, about 8 hours.

You will find the KSU fans to be great.

And as an added bonus....I have a Tail Gate thread on kstatefans.com check it out.

The KSTATE stadium parking lot is a great place to tail gate for the game.

Coach Snyder does not run up the score as some of you worry about.

There have been high scoring games, but I have attended some of these games and the other team just quit while KSTATE had the 3rd ,4th and 5th strings in , even the water boy I swear.

Coach Snyder is one of the classiest, most human and caring football coaches you will find on the face of this planet.

I really admire and respect the SMU. I hope this game helps SMU. You are a great, classy university. Two of my children visited SMU when they where looking at colleges but decided elsewhere.(They eventually ended up in Washington where we now live). We feel SMU is a good, strong university and would have enjoyed our children attending there.

Wish you well if we play.

And check out the windjammer tail gate thread ,find something you like and make it for your tail gate at the gamae.

Come to Manhattan, check out the little village. It is a fun place.

So you at the game.
These two guys walk into a bar, I don't know why the second one didn't duck
windjam

Return to Football